Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'The Mine Field' started by CaptainWacky, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Colonel Kira's Left Tit
    Expand Collapse
    Bearded Belly of Bajor

Yeah, that sounds like a real fucking party, doesn't it?

Nail biter, lol.

2. Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Colonel Kira's Left Tit
    Expand Collapse
    Bearded Belly of Bajor

Well that was certainly something.

3. The Saint

The Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Insert Witty Title Here

So they didn't wangle the fuck out of Pike's Enterprise as hard as I expected them to -- but, yes, of course they still fuckin' wangled it.

Glowy shit all over the nacelles, of course. Because post-Probert Trek, fucking EVERYTHING has to be slathered down in blue neon. The fucking crewmembers probably shit blue neon turds.

4. The Saint

The Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Insert Witty Title Here

And the fact that the ending credits used the TOS end credits music was just a slap in the fucking face.

5. whisky

whisky
    Expand Collapse
    Boobie inspector

But they had Tranya boy!

6. The Saint

The Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Insert Witty Title Here

In the sage and prescient words of Wade Winston Wilson: Who fucking cares.

7. Cassie

Cassie
    Expand Collapse
    Touching the monolith
    Staff Member

Tilly with the little Hitler salute!

8. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky
    Expand Collapse
    I want to smell dark matter

Since they started this Klingon war arc the only named Klingons we've seen are L'Rell and Voq (and whoever the guy who died at the start of the season was.) YOU'D THINK that with these last two episodes supposedly being about the Klingon war there would be a heavy Klingon presence in them. Nope! No other Klingons in the two episodes. They go to Kronos but it's the Orion quarter so it's that episode of Enterprise where they went to an Orion market (but with male dancers too!) And Kronos is hilariously easy to destroy. All you have to do is beam down and drop a bomb down a hole! I'm surprised no one else hasn't blown it up by now.

Amanda looks way too young to be Michael's mother (I know she's not her biological mother.)

9. Eggs Mayonnaise

Eggs Mayonnaise
    Expand Collapse
    All In With The Nuts

So Kronos was designed by the same guy who drew up the plans for the Death Star.

10. The Saint

The Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Insert Witty Title Here

I will give them this, though -- at least their version of the Enterprise, slathered in canon-breaking blue neon though it is, doesn't have unnecessary hinges on the engine struts or chunks chopped out of the hull.

11. Fuddlemiff

Fuddlemiff
    Expand Collapse
    Is this real life?

It looked a lot like the refit version, but I don’t see why they had to change it at all. I wonder where they’ll go with it from here.

Nice to see spacedock and ceti eels too.

It was an okay episode, but there have been much better. Doesn’t help that half the main characters are dead or genetically modified.

12. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky
    Expand Collapse
    I want to smell dark matter

I wonder if the season was originally going to end with (prime universe) Lorca being the one who wanted to detonate the bomb and Michael stopping him? Then when they expanded the number of episodes they added the mirror universe stuff and the shocking twist that made his character less interesting.

13. The Saint

The Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Insert Witty Title Here

And if all the mirror universe types are photophobic, why is Discovery the first time we're hearing about it? The whole end of the season reinforces my conclusion that Discovery is -- never mind what CBS says -- a reboot.

Yet another alien species we never see anywhere else (chronologically afterward) in the original timeline, Mirror Universe people with photophobia (which is never seen again in TOS/DS9/ENT versions), and The "Cage-era" Enterprise is all Voyager-fied.

Nah. It's a reboot.

14. Eggs Mayonnaise

Eggs Mayonnaise
    Expand Collapse
    All In With The Nuts

I can see why the premiere was delayed so long -- the network probably kept fighting with the revolving door of showrunners over how much TOS stuff should be in it (that they could legally add) and as a result we got this season.

15. whisky

whisky
    Expand Collapse
    Boobie inspector

From TOS all the way to DS9, they were awlays very careful when time travelling to show that no matter what they did in the past, the present they returned to was to all extents and purposes, the one they left behind. Except Gabriel Bell now looks like Sisko.

In Trials and tribbulations, TOS still looked like TOS, and the defiant that went into interspace in TOS, was still from the original timeline.

Then voyager had an episode where they travelled back in time, and technology was more advanced than it should be, and they couldn't alter it back, because their own technology was based on it.

Now along comes enterprise, its from this new altered timeline, a hundred years before TOS it already looks more advanced, when they go to the mirror universe the defiant is still the one from the original timeline.

Cut to discovery's time and things have diverted even more, the original mirror defiant has had upgrades, and the enterprise herself already looks more advanced in her early years than she did after the refit in the original universe.

This could also explain the look of the Kelvin (and movie enterprise, as the new, new timeline had yet to split)

16. The Saint

The Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Insert Witty Title Here

Easier to just throw up one's hands and chalk it up to them being too cowardly to create their own property but too lazy to do the research to portray the existing one faithfully.

17. Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Colonel Kira's Left Tit
    Expand Collapse
    Bearded Belly of Bajor

I'd be willing to bet the scripts were written in crayon.

18. The Saint

The Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Insert Witty Title Here

Not sure what difference it makes what they're written in. Seems like they only get read during shooting, then thrown away and the details promptly forgotten.

Remember how La Orca was photophobic since he was from (Disco's version of) the Mirror Universe and the light in our universe hurt his eyes?

Notice Captain/Emperor Mulan has no such problem? The writers didn't notice, apparently.

19. Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Colonel Kira's Left Tit
    Expand Collapse
    Bearded Belly of Bajor

You're putting entirely too much thought into this. It's pretty clear nobody in charge did.

By the way, I was looking up the number of producers this show has the other day. Count 'em.

[​IMG]

20. The Saint

The Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Insert Witty Title Here

I wouldn't say I'm putting too much thought into it. I'm not even putting a tenth as much thought into it as the people who are producing should be. That doesn't make me an overachiever, it makes them lazy, gutless, cynical hacks.