Wacky Reviews: Star Trek

Discussion in 'The Mine Field' started by CaptainWacky, Aug 29, 2016.

1. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky
    Expand Collapse
    I want to smell dark matter

She didn't know anything about it when they asked her what they were supposed to do.

2. whisky

whisky
    Expand Collapse
    Boobie inspector

There are people on this board who werent born the last time I saw this episode.

3. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky
    Expand Collapse
    I want to smell dark matter

Too Short A Season - Some terrorists have taken a Federation Ambassador and others hostage. They demand to speak to Admiral Jameson, an old as fuck Admiral in absolutely shockingly terrible old age make-up who negotiated a peace treaty on the planet many years ago. And he's in command of this mission so Picard has to do what he says. But seriously the old age make-up is so bad I can't really pay attention to any of this. And the whole freaking episode is told from his point of view! Crusher thinks he's hiding something. The Admiral amazes everyone by walking after being confined to a wheelchair. He shocks his wife by suddenly looking younger then has another heart attack or something. It's pretty boring, who cares. He admits to Picard he's been taking alien drugs to reverse the aging process. He fights with this wife. Again, I don't care about this guy. He contacts the head of the planet who it turns out has the hostages himself and arranged this whole thing.

We get more talking as his wife complains that she wanted to get old with him but he turned young again without asking. Jameson has no old age make-up now so his acting is better but still not great. He admits to Picard that he armed both sides in the conflict forty five years ago because he thought that would end the fighting but it started a forty five year war instead. That's a fairly good reason for the head of the planet to want revenge. Jameson leads an armed away team to free the hostages but Picard insists on coming with them. The Admiral's intelligence on the tunnels they beam into is out of date (becaue he's old, you see!) There's a phaser fight which goes badly and the away team has to beam back to the Enterprise (that was pointless then!) The Admiral is ill but he beams down with Picard to meet the bad guy (I should have picked up his name by now, Karnas or something.) Karnas doesn't believe it's the real Jameson because he's young now. Picard tells Karnas that he chose to fight and is as responsible for the war as Jameson. Jameson has a scar that easily proves he's real (for some reason he doesn't just show it to Karnas right away.) Jameson dies and Karnas is satisfied and frees the hostages.

So, just to clarify, Jameson is supposed to be 85 years old in this episode. That's pretty old in 2017, but the old age make-up makes him look 100. We saw 137 year old Admiral McCoy in 'Farpoint' and he didn't look as old as this guy. So how did they end up with such terrible make-up? I don't know, but it killed any interest in the first half of the episode. This is another episode like 'Haven' where a guest character becomes the protaganist, so you have to care about Admiral Jameson for it to work. To be fair, the second part of the episode is better when he loses the make-up and we find out the reason why Karnas wants revenge on him. The final confrontation between him and Karnas has some good stuff (mostly from Patrick Stewart though.) So this isn't quie as terrible as some season one episode but it's still really boring and not very good!

SCORE: 4/10

4. Fuddlemiff

Fuddlemiff
    Expand Collapse
    Is this real life?

A lot of TV shows have that thing where an actor is so clearly encased in terrible makeup that whatever plot twist they're involved in is signposted from the very beginning and ruins the whole episode.

Doctor Who's one of the few shows I can remember which pulled it off.

5. The Saint

The Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Come ride my MEAT BICYCLE!

Remember when the Tenth Doctor got gollum'd?

6. whisky

whisky
    Expand Collapse
    Boobie inspector

Like the tv show golden years, from Steven King, where an old security guard is very slowly ageing backwards, so this obviously young actor in old age makeup spent the whole season gradually getting darker hair, only for it to be cancelled at the end of season one, while he is still in old age makeup.