• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

A question about the term "wetback".

Now, I have always thought it specifically referred to illegal aliens as their backs are wet due to swimming across the Rio Grande but I was recently told that some how it is actually secretly a "racist" term against anyone from Latin America. What is your take? Is it specifically about illegal aliens or is it a vast secret racist conspiracy term?

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
My understanding has always been that it's a term for anyone who recently crossed the Rio Grande. I'm not sure if it applies just to Mexicans or to other spics as well. I'll have to do a study on that.

This is kind of muddy. It can be racist in that, while it generally refers to Hispanics believed to be unlawfully present in the U.S., it's usually applied based on race alone merely on the assumption that any given Hispanic it's applied to fits that legal status.

What makes it racist is when it's applied based on race rather than on actual knowledge of the individual it's directed at. This is why I'll point out that not all black people are "niggers", and not all "niggers" are black. Not all Hispanics are "wetbacks" -- and, for that matter, not all "wetbacks" are even Hispanic.

For proof of that last point, ICE has apprehended dozens of Bangladeshi wetbacks this year.

This is kind of muddy. It can be racist in that, while it generally refers to Hispanics believed to be unlawfully present in the U.S., it's usually applied based on race alone merely on the assumption that any given Hispanic it's applied to fits that legal status.

What makes it racist is when it's applied based on race rather than on actual knowledge of the individual it's directed at. This is why I'll point out that not all black people are "niggers", and not all "niggers" are black. Not all Hispanics are "wetbacks" -- and, for that matter, not all "wetbacks" are even Hispanic.

For proof of that last point, ICE has apprehended dozens of Bangladeshi wetbacks this year.
I believe it is usually using more than just race to make the determination as things like do they speak English, how are they dressed, and what is their apparent education or sovio-economic status would also be used. The pussies over at leftfield just want to declare everything racist now so they can ban anyone they dislike. My temp ban will be up in a few weeks but I don't think I will be returning as a regular poster at least until it is under new management as the current crop long ago jumped the shark.

Eh, I can kind of see that (talking about the first part of your reply here) but usually those things are indicators of whether or not the person is unlawfully present. There are places in the Phoenix valley where the wetbacks are so aggressively obvious about being unlawfully present that it's just ridiculous. I walked into a bodega (or whatever a Bodega would be called in Mexican Spanish) in Glendale one time where they refused me service, not because I didn't speak Spanish, but because they were offended that I initially spoke English. (And, probably, because I'm white.)

Another time, right here in Tempe, I got hassled by an Hispanic cop who barely spoke English just for walking through an Hispanic neighborhood.

In cases like that, the appellation of "wetback" is a pretty obvious fit, but all the things you point out are the indicators of that.

To the latter half of your statement: Well, once you're "off the rez", as it were, you can say about/do things to WF that their leftist staff circlejerk can no longer do anything about. Enjoy.

:naughty:

Nice. A poster over there dug up old posts where the mod in question also used the term wetbacks as well as "illegal" which is claims is dehumanizing and desensitizing demanding that everyone use the term "undocumented immigrant" instead. These people have their heads so far up their own asses they are licking their own tonsils from the backside.

I absolutely despise the term "undocumented immigrant." It's a euphemism deliberately engineered to deceive people. If the only way to defend something is to lie to people about it, that's basically an admission on the liar's part that they know that thing is indefensible.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Oh, they're definitely a bunch of cannibals. They've run off pretty much all the conservatives, so now they're eating their own. Eventually the poster who supports transgender whales breastfeeding will ban the one who doesn't.

Oh, they're definitely a bunch of cannibals. They've run off pretty much all the conservatives, so now they're eating their own. Eventually the poster who supports transgender whales breastfeeding will ban the one who doesn't.
You may well be right about that. Today they banned Lesbian Shoes for the crime of writing bad Star Trek fan-fix. It didn't break any posted rule but did did involve an odd gay trust between Kirk, Spock, and Bones but, hey, I thought those guys were supposed to be pro-gay equality so why ban someone for bad fan-fic?

Because he wasn't one of the Cool Kids. That's the only actual reason. Same reason they banned me, same reason they banned GTurner. They'll offer up some ex post facto rationalization for banning Lesbian Shoes -- that, too, is part of their modus operandi -- assuming anybody is still there who isn't "of the body" and asks for an explanation. But make no mistake, the real reason they banned him is the reason they ban anybody else who doesn't actually break a rule -- they just don't want anybody there who doesn't either conform to their worldview or meekly accept being abused for that nonconformity.

It has been hilarious watching the gun sucker El Chip claim that pointing out that Catholic anti-abortion bigotry endangers the lives of women who are having his carriages is some home not bad. Chip even went on to say 14D's anti-catholic posts are some how the same as my objections to the inherent evil found in the Muslim Koran... Only 14D never posted in that thread much less made any anti-Catholic post. Zombie got Chip hard pointing out what a mindless, fact free, idiot he was just spewing nonsense.

That is modern leftfield though. Never let facts get in the way, ban people for the supposed "racism" of saying wetbacks despite there being dozens of threads where people said wetbacks and nothing happened, or banning Lesbian Shoes for writing bad Star Trek fan-fic. The diseased Ukrainian was especially stupid and hypocritical for that.

I am reminded of the time the diseased Ukrainian tried to claim I lived in a bad neighbothood because I said it was nice, and white, and relatively crime free where as he had just posted a thread about how he and his latest cooz had been sitting in their cheap ass apartment with their bastard child and there were gun shots right outside their cheap ass apartment door. Yeah, I will take my on so bad for not being racially diverse, nice, crime free neighborhood over his "holy shit, there is literally a shooting outside my front door" neighborhood any day.

I don't have that problem where I live while he does so... Who lives in a bad neighborhood again, you dumb fuck?

My bad, it was actually Malarcky doing the banning again. He seems on a rampage to purify Wordforge of everyone he dislikes even if they didn't actually break any rules.

That is just what that place needs; fewer posters and less posting activity.