ACTIVATING - PLEASE WAIT

Ishcabittle

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMMGOMGOMGOMGOMMG

IPHONEOMGOMOGMGOMG

IT'S REALLY HERE AND IN MY HAND AND HAPPENINGNDINVSZOOVRLKJJNARFAS;LFKJJNVWFALSDK
!!!1
!!1
11!!!

!!!!!!

?

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Sure your iPhone looks good NOW, but what good is it when you're covered in FIRE?

Ishcabittle

Posting from the iPhone and it fucking kicks ass!!!!!!!

Mock me if you will, but my bus rides are going to be a lot more entertaining than yours, boy howdy!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
You must give us detailed updates on what it does great, what it does so-so, and what it doesn't do to save its life.

Also, are you able to pick up wi-fi hotspots since AT&Tular's mobile service sucks donkey dong?

Ishcabittle

Okay, here's the review.

It's awesome.

Okay, they're telling me I need to do more, so here we go.

iPod: Crisp, detailed sound - sounds just as good as any other iPod. Video looks fucking awesome, and sync is easy - one caveat, you can't manually drag albums over as you would with a manually managed iPod, but the easy workaround is to create a playlist (call it iPwn or something) and throw everything you want on the phone in there, then sync that one playlist. It'll separate out the artists and all that jazz for you.
Safari: No Flash yet... but I'm guessing that will be a software update in the next month or so. Apart from that, I am fucking thrilled to browse the web on this thing. So, you know how most WAP browsers are stupid crippled? I can go to any page (sans flash) and do anything. Java apps, cookies, blah blah blah, it's all there. I checked my PayPal balance, watched an item on eBay, posted to TK (shocker), etc. Tabbed browsing on a mobile device? Fucking thrilled.
Mail: Full HTML email - on my Treo, just about all of my messages were truncated, slapdash handled, butchered basically. Email is full and beautiful on this baby, just like on the big computer.
Phone: Call clarity is just as good as the Treo, way the fuck better than the treo on Verizon, that's fo' sho'. SMS is fast and good looking, looks like iChat.
YouTube: That's a fun app to throw on the phone at the last minute... watching bullshit on YouTube happens pretty much every day anyway, why not while I'm waiting for the train?
Network: So yeah, EDGE isn't too terribly fast after all... but I'm on Wifi everywhere I go anyway, so I haven't seen it become an issue. The only things I check while I'm away from Wifi are Maps and email and those populated just as fast as I'm used to on the old phone anyway. As far as calls go, I haven't had a dropped call, and I haven't come across an area where I couldn't get pages, so whatever.
Google Maps: Same functionality, but super slick and hot lookin' interface. Nice.

Then there's just the basic UI - it's super simple. You know how when you hand someone your phone, you have to tell them a quick little tutorial on how to unlock it? I (tentatively) handed my iPhone to a friend and they figured it out in three seconds. Everything is like that, easy.

Questions?

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Can you fuck it?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
How's the charge holding out on average? How long does it take to recharge?

Ishcabittle

Recharge is about three hours from flat dead to full, and my first full day with it (Sunday) it ran out of battery at around 18 hours (I pulled it from the dock at 7:00AM and it ran out at 1:00AM. Not too terrible, considering I was fucking with it all day long, internet, video, YouTube (playing video and pulling data), music.

jack

Can you still fuck it?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Well, some not-so-nice news is surfacing already...

[url=http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40706]The Inquirer[/url] said:
APPLE HAS moved to suppress comments on its bulletin boards that point out that its new iPhone cannot handle 64-bit Windows Vista or XP.

That comes as others say the shiny bling phone is hackable.

According to Engadget, punters had been complaining that when ever they tried this they kept getting an error message: "The software required for iPhone is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again."

However, this does not work, and if iTune users had looked carefully at Apple's support article 301301 they would have seen that "iTunes is currently not supported in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or any 64-bit edition of Windows Vista." Now you know.

Also Apple's official minimum system requirements document does say that "64-bit editions of Windows are not supported."

What is a little more surprising is that a thread discussing this topic was pulled from the Apple web site.

One bloke moaned on Slashdot that an Apple support rep told him to downgrade his computer system so he could run his new iPod. He added that a thread he posted on the matter had been taken down by Apple.

Meanwhile, a hole in AT&T/Cingular’s Voicemail system could be set to smash all those bright shiny iPhones which we believe are still sitting in some shops, despite the hype. The vulnerability was first pointed out in February and has been ignored ever since. According to Nitesh Dhanjani who discovered the flaw, the AT&T/Cingular voicemail system is configured by default not to ask for a password when you check your voicemail from the handset.

Part of the problem is that the AT&T/Cingular voicemail system trusts Caller ID to determine if the handset is calling. All it takes is for the Caller ID can be spoofed and anyone can gain access into your voicemail.

To check if you are vulnerable, get a mate to leave you a message on your voice mail. Go you your voice mail box and if it does not ask you for a password you are toast.

Dhanjani gives instructions on how to make your iPhone secure. But it does seem odd that AT&T/Cingular has been unable to get its voicemail act together. µ

[url=http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1323]Hackint0sh[/url] said:
We managed to obtain and crack the hashs of the user passwords for the iPhone OS. More information could be found at our development Wiki here (link removed).

Edit: cause you digg people broke the poor wiki:

The password for root is "alpine"
The "mobile" user accounts password is "dottie"

Is it sick to have root pasword to all iPhones worldwide? Well not really, there is no terminal yet to login :p

[url=http://nanocr.eu/2007/07/03/iphone-without-att/]So Sue Me[/url] said:
I’ve found a way to activate a brand new unactivated iPhone without giving any of your money or personal information to AT&T NSA. The iPhone does not have phone capability, but the iPod and WiFi work. Stay tuned!

Update:

Magic iTunes numbers:

Offset 2048912: 33C0C3

Offset 257074: 28

Offset 257013: 33C9B1

Add “127.0.0.1 albert.apple.com” to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Download Phone Activation Server v1.0 to activate your iPhone for iPod+WiFi use. Note that this application will not do anything unless you understand the magic numbers as well as add the hosts entry. Phone Activation Server (PAS) requires that you have the MS .NET Framework 2.0 installed.

Thanks to Josh!Teelie at LoNAF who posted this there first.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
iFEEL YOUR ANGER!

jack

iLaughing!

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
iShould create a cheap knockoff called iPhony.