AFL (Aussie Rules) -- News

MODMAN

Why this Crow is the most famous AFLW player you've never heard of
afl-logo.png

Maddi Newman gets stopped by fans in the street regularly, but not in recognition of her efforts on the football field

MADDI Newman is perhaps the most famous AFLW player you’ve never heard of.

The Adelaide winger may have had a breakout season in 2023, but being a part of the all-conquering Crows team is not Newman’s biggest claim to fame.

“Whenever I go out in public I do get recognised for TikTok but no one actually knows I play for the Crows,” Newman laughed.

“I feel like it’s such a shock to people when we say ‘Maddi plays footy’, they’re always like ‘what?’.”

Click here for full story

MODMAN

From lunchtime fun to the big time, new Hawk ready to fly

From being a ball kid at the Australian Open to picking up footy to keep busy during lunchtime, Hawthorn recruit Laura Stone's sporting journey has been full of highlights

LAURA Stone was one of the top Victorian draft prospects before she was signed to Hawthorn as an academy selection, but the midfielder thrives on pressure.

Stone, who turns 18 on Wednesday, casually revealed she had been an Australian Open ball kid in an interview with afl.com.au at the AFLW Combine, before she was signed by the Hawks.

When pressed further, not only had she featured at a grand slam, but she was selected for the men's final in 2021 between Novak Djokovic and Daniil Medvedev.

Stone never played tennis herself, but her ball and movement skills were such she was elevated to the top level.

MODMAN

‘It isn’t right’: How AFL’s great draft dilemma was exposed this week — and how to fix it

The AFL is never going to make everyone happy, but the growing unrest over the bidding system for the national draft is nearing a tipping point.

Last Monday night Gold Coast took the process to new levels, adding four Academy prospects in the first round - Jed Walter (pick 3), Ethan Read (9), Jake Rogers (14) and Will Graham (26).

Perhaps our suggestion it cost the Suns “very little”, which Damien Hardwick took exception to, was an exaggeration. But either way, the system which allowed them to turn what was initially two first-round picks (they naturally had 4 and 22) into four is drawing more criticism every year.

MODMAN

THE PLAYER FROM YOUR AFL CLUB WHO IS SET TO EXPLODE IN 2024

Which player from your AFL club is set to take the next step in 2024?

Every year there are players that leap into stardom and command headlines all season long. So the SEN.com.au have looked ahead into their crystal balls to predict who that might be for next year.

For those who can step up into All-Australian calculations and others who can be the missing piece of the puzzle for their clubs, here are 18 players set to explode in 2024.

Adelaide
Izak Rankine
He’s among Adelaide’s highest paid players and will prove why in 2024.

Izak Rankine enjoyed a strong start to life as a Crow and showed flashes of what he could do. The small forward enjoyed a career best year despite an interrupted pre-season and showed that while he’s elite in front of goal, he’s not afraid to give them off.

He’ll turn 24 during next season and has played 68 AFL games. With his obvious talent coming into his prime and Rankine now in his second pre-season at West Lakes, pencil him in for All-Australian in 2024.

MODMAN

Moving forward: Crow relishing career-best year after positional switch

Winger-turned-forward Eloise Jones has kicked a career-best 18 goals this season

ADELAIDE needed a new goalkicker after the departure of Ash Saint to Port Adelaide.

Up stepped Eloise Jones, the forward-turned-winger-turned-forward.

The 24-year-old has had a career-best year when it comes to goalkicking, recording 18 goals so far this season.

Her previous best tally was nine, while playing in attack back in 2019, and her last two seasons on the wing produced a cumulative three goals.

"I've really enjoyed being down forward. I've really enjoyed the role that's been given to me, and I think the connection we've got in that forward line is phenomenal," Jones said.

MODMAN

Kangaroos v Crows PF preview: Big guns face off for place in the decider

BOTH of last season's preliminary final losers will face off in an attempt to reach the Grand Final. For Adelaide, it would be a fifth Grand Final appearance should it win, while home team North Melbourne is just one victory away from its first AFLW decider.

The Roos and Crows played off in a thriller in round nine, with a late Niamh Kelly goal breaking the hearts of North Melbourne fans everywhere, but in finals, everything changes.