All things sporty (3)

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING
ACC sets 11-game fall football schedule, includes Notre Dame

The ACC board of directors voted Wednesday to proceed with an 11-game football season that begins the weekend of Sept. 12 and includes FBS independent Notre Dame playing a full league schedule, but only if public health guidance allows. All ACC schools and Notre Dame will play 10 conference games plus one nonconference game of their choosing, and the Fighting Irish will be eligible for the ACC championship game. There will be no divisions for this season only. All 15 teams will be a part of the bowl process, and Notre Dame would be eligible for the ACC's slot in the Orange Bowl if it is not selected as a College Football Playoff semifinalist. All television revenue for the 2020 season, including Notre Dame's home games broadcast by NBC, will be shared equally by all 15 institutions. In addition to football, the six other ACC fall Olympic sports may begin Sept. 10. Team sports will play a conference schedule that meets the NCAA minimum amount of games: field hockey (6), women's soccer (6), men's soccer (6) and volleyball (10). Any additional games can be played at the school's discretion. Any additional conference games played beyond the minimum would not count in the league standings.

Click Here For Complete Story

blackfoot NAP

King Of Bling
UNC Tar Heels welcome Tony Grimes to program
Grimes is a 6-foot, 180-pound cornerback from Virginia Beach, Virginia, who committed to the Tar Heels in June. He had finished enough high school courses to enroll early, but when it was announced that the state of Virginia would move the high school football season to the spring, Grimes officially reclassified.

blackfoot NAP

King Of Bling
SEC to play 10-game, conference-only football schedule in 2020
The revised schedule, which was altered because of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, increases by two the SEC's usual conference slate of eight league games, which includes six divisional foes, one permanent cross-divisional foe and one rotating cross-divisional foe.

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING
Sources: Proposal would let Notre Dame vie for ACC title in 2020

The ACC is considering various scheduling models for the upcoming football season, including one that would have Notre Dame eligible to play in the conference championship game, sources told ESPN on Friday. Sources indicated that was only one of various scheduling models under discussion, and changes continue to be made to models and proposed schedules. Any scheduling model needs approval from the ACC board of directors, made up of all 15 presidents and chancellors.
The preferred scheduling model is expected to be presented to them Wednesday. Unlike the other Power 5 conferences, the ACC has various scheduling partnerships, resulting in complicated discussions about what to do about the season schedule as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. One discussion would involve the four ACC/SEC rivalry games that schools from both conferences want to protect. Another is Notre Dame, an FBS independent that has an annual scheduling partnership with the ACC. Currently, Notre Dame has six scheduled ACC games.

Click Here For Full Story

blackfoot NAP

King Of Bling
ACC, SEC say football plans remain unchanged
In separate statements, the ACC and SEC said they continue to make decisions based on the advice of their own medical advisory groups, along with local and state health guidelines.

Big Ten, Pac-12 postpone fall college football: What you need to know
The impact of those decisions will be felt across the sports landscape, starting with the other Power 5 conferences. Beyond that, could Nebraska really go rogue and play anyway this fall, as it hinted in its post-decision statement?

blackfoot NAP

King Of Bling

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING
NCAA targets mid-September for decision on college basketball start

The NCAA is prepared to shift the Nov. 10 start date for college basketball if necessary, according to a statement released Monday by Dan Gavitt, senior vice president of basketball. By mid-September, the governing body will announce its first crucial decision about the upcoming season. Per NCAA rules, full practices can start 42 days before a team's first game. In the statement, Gavitt said "contingency" plans have been developed that will allow the NCAA to move the start date for practices and games if necessary due to the coronavirus pandemic. "In the coming weeks, the NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Basketball Oversight Committees will take the lead with me in a collaborative process of finalizing any recommendations for consideration by the NCAA Division I Council for the start of the college basketball season," Gavitt said in the statement. "By mid-September, we will provide direction about whether the season and practice start on time or a short-term delay is necessitated by the ongoing pandemic."

blackfoot NAP

King Of Bling

blackfoot NAP

King Of Bling
UNC clears athletes to practice; football to resume Monday
The announcement comes three days after the decision to pause activities amid rising numbers of coronavirus cases on campus, including in student housing and a fraternity. Those rising cases led the school to cancel in-person undergraduate classes in favor of remote instruction.

blackfoot NAP

King Of Bling
Hall of Fame basketball coach Lute Olson dies at 85

i

Olson went 589-187 in 24 seasons at Arizona and guided the Wildcats to four Final Four appearances, 23 consecutive NCAA tournaments and 11 Pac-10 titles, as well as the national title in 1997.

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING
Naomi Osaka won't play in W&S semi in protest of Jacob Blake shooting; tourney pauses play

Naomi Osaka, the two-time major tennis champion, announced she would not play in Thursday's Western & Southern Open semifinal match in reaction to the shooting of Jacob Blake in Wisconsin. Several hours later, the tournament announced that it was pausing play for a day. "As a sport, tennis is collectively taking a stance against racial inequality and social injustice that once again has been thrust to the forefront in the United States," a statement from the USTA, ATP and WTA said. "The USTA, ATP Tour, and WTA have decided to recognize this moment in time by pausing play at the Western & Southern Open on Thursday, August 27. Play will resume on Friday, August 28." Osaka made her announcement on social media, saying there are more important matters that need attention. "Before I am an athlete, I am a black woman," she wrote in a post Wednesday night. "And as a black woman I feel as though there are much more important matters at hand that need immediate attention, rather than watching me play tennis. I don't expect anything drastic to happen with me not playing, but if I can get a conversation started in a majority white sport I consider that a step in the right direction."

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING
What Serena Williams must do to win the 2020 US Open

Serena Williams drive to earn Grand Slam singles title No. 24, thereby equaling the all-time record held by Margaret Court, will begin next week at the fan-free US Open. The tournament will be unlike any major that she, or any other tennis pro, has ever experienced. This radical and unexpected development caused by the coronavirus pandemic has enabled every WTA and ATP player to hit the career reset button. Williams, too, can benefit from that. She has failed to win a major in her past eight appearances -- the longest drought in her dazzling career. Of course, she's also almost 39 years old. It may be difficult for some to accept that she's not immortal, but the way she has played since the tour's return (she's 2-3 and all of those matches were knock-down, drag-out three-setters) confirms that she is. But she's still Serena Williams, and on a tennis court, that means anything is possible. ESPN analysts Chris Evert and Pam Shriver help puzzle out five things Williams needs to do, or should focus on, if she hopes to bag that elusive 24th title Aug. 31 through Sept. 13 in Flushing Meadows, New York.

Click Here For Full Story

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING
Kentucky basketball player Keion Brooks Jr. supports changing name of Rupp Arena

Kentucky basketball forward Keion Brooks Jr. said he backs a push by Black faculty members in the school's African American and Africana Studies department to change the name of Rupp Arena. The group recently requested the change, saying Adolph Rupp's legacy is tied to a history of racism and discrimination. Brooks, a member of the National Association of Basketball Coaches Player Development Coalition, averaged 4.5 PPG last season. He said he's still gathering more information about Rupp but stated that he supports a name change. "Being honest, I haven't educated myself well enough on Adolph Rupp or just the whole situation at hand to really give you my thoughts on it," said Brooks, who is also a member of the SEC Council on Racial Equality and Social Justice. "From what I do know, I would like to see a name change just basically because of what his name is and what that's connected to and what that kind of represents. I would like to see a name change."