An Interesting Lesson On Using Other Peoples' Images Without Their Permission

The Question

Eternal
Which is why you assholes don't do that shit. Whether you think it's a joke or not is irrelevant. You can't do that shit.

The Question

Eternal
The law involved makes no distinction. Don't own it? Can't use it. For any purpose.

The Question

Eternal
Tell ya what, though, if you want to troll me with my own photo, you can license it. For $5k. Per year.

The Question

Eternal
As the linked article makes clear, it isn't nonsense and it doesn't involve luck.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Yeah, no. https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/
"Fair use is a copyright principle based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism."
So yeah, the law does "make a distinction." And it's almost to the letter of what you're describing. Add to that I'll bet you never actually went through the paperwork of registering a copyright on whatever snapshot apparently has you butthurt today, which weakens your case considerably.

Add to that the logistics and difficulties of bringing a case where there was no financial loss on your part or gain on the defendant's part; that you've never met--or even have contact information for--the defendants, and establishing a jurisdiction to bring the suit in and I wouldn't be surprised if the judge laughed at you too.

The Question

Eternal
Way to ruin a fine troll. :rwmad:

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
It really wasn't that good a troll. It was a more than 2 month old dead post that no one cared about that you bumped that no one still cared about. :borg:

The Question

Eternal
Actually, it snared ol' Din-Din. Sometimes the dead threads come back, if you get the right nincompoop stumbling along. Then they can leap up and shamble around biting people and bumping into the furniture.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
If anything, it looks like he's trolling *you* in this thread. But by all means, declare victory. :)

The Question

Eternal
I am always victorious, for I alone hold the Secret of Moop. :joker:

The Question

Eternal
Not those moops. The other moops. Similar to meeps.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Really, it's kind of like donating to the Special Olympics: I don't do it because I love seeing the Special Olympics or have been particularly persuaded by their sales pitch, I do it because I feel sorry for the retards.

The Question

Eternal
They're not really retards. It's a ploy to get you to donate. When you're not looking, they're perfectly normal.

And laughing at you.

Ancalagon

I'm not wearing any panties!!
Yeah, no. https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/

So yeah, the law does "make a distinction." And it's almost to the letter of what you're describing. Add to that I'll bet you never actually went through the paperwork of registering a copyright on whatever snapshot apparently has you butthurt today, which weakens your case considerably.

Add to that the logistics and difficulties of bringing a case where there was no financial loss on your part or gain on the defendant's part; that you've never met--or even have contact information for--the defendants, and establishing a jurisdiction to bring the suit in and I wouldn't be surprised if the judge laughed at you too.

More than that. In Lenz v Universal Music Group it was ruled that Fair Use is an assertive right, not just a defense against copyright. In other words it is free speech and parties that sue or use other methods to intimidate people to remove, delete or otherwise give up their fair use can be countersued for it.

IOW this thread is Castle standing on a sidewalk, pointing a gun at his head and screaming 'No one move or the retard gets it!' while everyone just walks on by.

The Question

Eternal
More than that. In Lenz v Universal Music Group it was ruled that Fair Use is an assertive right, not just a defense against copyright. In other words it is free speech and parties that sue or use other methods to intimidate people to remove, delete or otherwise give up their fair use can be countersued for it.

IOW this thread is Castle standing on a sidewalk, pointing a gun at his head and screaming 'No one move or the retard gets it!' while everyone just walks on by.

You clearly need a refresher on what Fair Use permits and what it doesn't.

(Spoiler: "I saw it online, so I can do whatever I want with it without the subject's consent!" isn't how it works.)