Big Brother: Best Shows Ever starts this Sunday

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'll watch it probably.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Do you know if they are showing whole episodes/seasons, or are they showing clips from various seasons in each new episode?

CaptainWacky

It's supposed to be whole episodes, I assume with an introduction from Davina and Rylan.

CaptainWacky

It was two episodes stuck together, with some scenes probably removed and far too many adverts. But I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the original concept of Big Brother (UK anyway) where it was just people living in a house together and talking about nominations was against the rules. Darren saying "IT'S SICK!" when he found out Nick cheated made me laugh out loud. Loved how basic the obstacle course ask was and the comedy of Nick being shit at it. SEE,YOU DON'T NEED PRODUCER INTERFERENCE AND SHIT WANNABES AS HOUSEMATES FOR GOOD DRAMA.

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

Episode two (there's one every night!) was about Chantelle's secret mission to pretend to be famous. The first and best time they did that secret mission. Another entertaining and fascinating episode. Smoking indoors! Dennis Rodman being pervy! Pete Burns! And most of all Michael Barrymore's insane Hitler-themed comedy routine. Holy fuck.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I'm downloading them but I haven't watched yet.

CaptainWacky

Good plan, you can skip some of the Rylan/Davina bits (sometimes they just repeat stuff.)

CaptainWacky

Episode 3 - Nikki's "who is she rant" is one of the most repeated moments ever, but it was cool seeing it in its original context. Interesting that it was totally on the spur of the moment and not pre-planned like some of her rants surely were. Also interesting that they showed how nasty Nikki could be at times, as the way she and the permanently nasty Grace treated Suzie was pretty bad. Great seeing an episode of Big Brother 7, one of the best "casts" ever. Pete! Glynn! Aisleyne before she ruined herself with plastic surgery!

CaptainWacky

Epsidoe 4 - Ulrika/Verne singing. Kind of a weird choice. It was a funny task but hardly one of the most memorable moments in BB history. As always it was fun just wathcing an old episode. That part where Coolio joked that Luch had to be taken out and beaten wouldn't fly these days!

CaptainWacky

Epsidoe 5 - "Yeah, Jacke." An obvious choice, even though it was actually the episode after the iconic line. Not sure what to think of Germaine. Obviously she was an important figure back in the seventies or whenever but why would she go on Big Brother if she hated reality tv? John McCrirrick, obviously a great housemate, probably carried that series more than Jackie did (who was only in for about five days as I recall.) Jackie herself just came across like a confused old woman. Amazing that she's STILL ALIVE today.

CaptainWacky

Episode 6 - "Would you like me to be the cat?" Another obvious pick as it's one of the most famous moments from any CBB. It was a bit weird showing two episodes from the same series. I tried to remember everything that happened in the episodes in between but it's been like 14 years. Maybe they should have just repeated this whole series. I'm sure there were many classic moments! This one is still pretty hilarious and kind of creepy all these years later.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Is there some subscription service that offers all the old seasons to watch?

Here, you can watch every old BB season on CBS All Access. (Same with Survivor, Amazing Race, etc.)

CaptainWacky

Nope. I think someone was streaming one of the series all summer, but illegally. People were talking about it on DS.

CaptainWacky

Episode 7 - Rich house/poor house. It's funny they kept calling this an "episode" of BB3 when more than ever it was just clips from several episodes, covering seemingly five days, stuck together. Look at how they completely skipped the nominations and just had the names announced. It made for an entertaining narrative anyway! It started with Alison's eviction and it made sense to show her as she's such a big name now in terms of former BB housemates (it's still weird she was evicted over Sandy.) The rich house/poor house task was a classic and not overly complicated like LATER YEARS. But they didn't show all that much of it and it was obvious they were just skipping forward to get to Sandy climbing over the wall with Alex shouting "SANDY BE CAREFUL!" A classic moment, to be sure, and it was a great line-up of housemates. Kate Lawler definitely felt like the "main character" and really looking back nobody else had a chance of winning. Alex was great value too. And of course Jade. I think they purposely picked an episode where she didn't do anything too embarrassing so as not to make her look bad.

CaptainWacky

Episoe 8 - Tree of Temptation. Interesting that they showed an episode from the final Channel 4 Celebrity series, when the housemate line-up wasn't as impressive as in the early years. Vinnie Jones, Ivana Trup (probably the reason they showed this episode as it had a lot of her) and...a bunch of people famous for sleeping with someone more famous. But hey it was a good line up with some likable people (Basshunter! Sidqo! Sov! That Cute Girl Whose Name I Don't Remember!) and the Tree was a very entertaining task character. There was nothing really special about the episode though, and weird how this time they did't just stick several episodes together in order to include some juicier stuff. But yeah Alex destroying the snowman made me laugh.

CaptainWacky

Epsidoe 9 - Box task from BB6. BB6 was a weird one in that none of the housemates were particularly likable. Or they could be likable one minute then annoying as fuck the other. Plus there was an unpleasant racial tension hanging over everything and Ithink they purposely picked an episode that didn't show much of that. Anyway it was still a great series and this was a classic task. Once again I'll note that it was also a very simple task that didn't need the producers constantly interfering to make it entertaining!

CaptainWacky

Episode 10 - Helen and Paul. The first Big Brother romanceand certainly one that was 100% genuine Again not a hugely eventful "episode" (three really) more just a slice of life type thing. I continue to enjoy these looks at the early years of BB (this one was pre 9/11!) where it really was just normal people living in a house together looking after chickens and making sausages. I understand why it wouldn't work today but I still miss it. Imagine having only five housemates left for the final two weeks. Crazy.

One thing I noticed about the entire series was that they were trying to focus on happier episodes, rather than the hugely controversial arguments and racism and stuff. The most drama we got was the Nasty Nick episode where it was just people sitting around a table having a reasonable conversation. I think partly this is because the big arguments don't have the original impact out of context, but also I hope it's a sign that when Channel 4 revive BB next year (and they will!) it'll be more fun and happy and less "FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING MINGEBAG I'LL KILL YOUR FAMILY!"

CaptainWacky

Blind Mikey saying "I'm sorry, what was your name again?" in the middle of an argument and her not being sure if it was a diss or just because he was blind stuck with me.