Black Mirror (the Netflix years)

Mirah

I love you
I just watched Black Mirror Season 4 Ep 1 USS Callister. OMG I fucking loved it. I know, I was supposed to be taking a nap....I thought I would just check it out and save it to my favorites, but then I saw this episode and watched it. I have never watched a Black Mirror episode before. I was hoping they all would be with these characters, and then I realized each episode is its own, reminded me of Twilight Zone or Outer Limits.

This show gave me an idea and I was wondering if this existed already-Is there a place I can go and insert myself into a real life Star Trek drama-where I am the Captain for the day or another role. And I don't mean a paper role playing game, that won't cut it!

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
I just watched Black Mirror Season 4 Ep 1 USS Callister. OMG I fucking loved it. I know, I was supposed to be taking a nap....I thought I would just check it out and save it to my favorites, but then I saw this episode and watched it. I have never watched a Black Mirror episode before. I was hoping they all would be with these characters, and then I realized each episode is its own, reminded me of Twilight Zone or Outer Limits.

This show gave me an idea and I was wondering if this existed already-Is there a place I can go and insert myself into a real life Star Trek drama-where I am the Captain for the day or another role. And I don't mean a paper role playing game, that won't cut it!

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/star-trek-bridge-crew/

https://artemisspaceshipbridge.com/

Love Child

One Love
Thanks Loktar, but I don't want virtual reality, I want to have a live experience.

I am watching Black Mirror, s4 ep 2 Arkangel and I am scared. I hate watching shows with little kids and stupid parents when I think something bad is going to happen, I can't stand it!

Plus-I *Spoiler*
wonder why grandpa lying down would trigger a filter-it didn't seem that tramatic. That is as far as I got, now the little girl is going into the kitchen and I'm afraid she is going to get a big knife and hurt herself or fall off the chair, or I DON"T KNOW!

Love Child

One Love
*More Spoilers Sorry*
Now she is on the swing set and I wonder if an alien will take her away and then she turns into a teenager and I think "I wonder if her filters will change as she gets older," but then we see her mom crying and she can't see her mom's face. How dumb.

Okay, now I'm at the part where the psychiatrist tells her the implant can't be removed. That is dumb. My first worry about this was what if some pervert parent wants to watch their child ALL the time. OMG I can't handle it! LOL

Okay why didn't the mom just turn the filter off-but still watch her daugher? omg this is dumb.

Also in USS Callister-I was pissed that he didn't watch the characters when he got back from work to see what they were doing all day. But I liked the "Sim" aspect of the game.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
wonder why grandpa lying down would trigger a filter-it didn't seem that tramatic.

Well if he'd died in front of her that would have been traumatic.

Love Child

One Love
I wasn't sure if he was dying at that point, or having a heart attack, so he just layed down on the floor, which of course is not a normal thing to do, and could trigger a filter.
I am thinking about it way too much! I was just imagining driving down the road with the filter on and what that would be like. And then I just imagined talking to my least favorite person to talk to and what it would be like to have them filtered out. : )

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I watched Hang the DJ just now. I did have a fair idea how it was going to turn out once our attention was drawn to the stone skipping, but I still enjoyed it. It’s the kind of thing Asimov or Clarke would be writing as a short story if they were alive today.

Which has just reminded me how bad Electric Dreams was.

CaptainWacky

Hey the Anna Paquin episode could have been a Black Mirror episode with about three more twists at the end.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
True, that and the Bryan Cranston one were the only good ones, but still not as good as the worst Black Mirror (whichever that might be... I wasn’t keen on the unnessarily long killer bee one last year).

Love Child

One Love
I couldn't figure out why it was called "Hang the DJ" and that distracted me through the whole episode. I am about to watch another episode now.

CaptainWacky

The Waldo Moment will always be the worst one. (Even though it turned out it actually predicted Trump so maybe it wasn't!?)

Love Child

One Love
I tried watching the next 2, got through a couple minutes of each one and switched to that planet documentary and then that kimmy show. I wish I could watch previous seasons.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
YO I JUST FINISHED THE SERIES (spoilers for each one):

U.S.S. Callister
Hey this was good! It was nice to have a Star Trek parody that actually worked, because it wasn't trying to do a direct take of the series but rather the general feel of the world (they nail the music). I liked how they made you sympathise with Daly initially (because he goes get shit on quite a lot) but rather than it being about any sort of revenge it just highlights how toxic that sort of behaviour actually is. I also liked how they kept the level of torture to a fucked up Star Trek video game thing when they could have easily gone "ALSO HE RAPES THE WOMEN TOO" which would have made the episode worse so I'm glad they didn't do it!

I also liked that the crew are now trapped in the ultimate hell of only being able to talk to MMORPG gamers.

Arkangel
I liked this one overall, it had a good central idea and the acting was good but I kind of feel like it retreads a lot of what The Entire History of You did back in season 1? As in, the idea that maybe being able to directly see what other people are doing and have done is too much information and will always end badly. But I guess this is the version of that story we get now that Charlie Brooker is a dad. It wasn't bad! I liked it! It is a bit weird that they would come up with a program that lets you directly spy on someone that is irreversible but then not think about what happens when that person becomes an adult but whatever.

Crocodile
I feel like this was the weakest one? Like, I liked the insurance lady reading people's memories to get details, and I liked that unlike the previous episode (and The Entire History of You) they were actual memories that were fuzzy and subjective, but I kind of feel like the whole murder plot was almost unnecessary? Like they could have probably worked up a plot based around the insurance lady without having Andrea Riseborough kill a bunch of people (including a child!) which kind of went too far for me. I don't think they really set up exactly what about her life, other than having a family and being kind of famous(????), was so vital to her that she would literally murder an entire family to protect it.

Hang the DJ
Oh hey look it's a story about a young couple falling in love! And the twist is it's a virtual environment all along! It was nice and all, and the two leads were great, but come on guys San Jupinero was only last year and it was basically the same set-up. Also San Jupinero was one of the best episodes of television made in the last decade so having something so similar to it so soon means it will never live up to it.

Yeah, okay, sure, the episodes explore different themes, but I feel like the themes this episode explores (something something you have to know what you don't like in a partner before you can be happy with who you do like?? Dating apps are good???) are much less interesting than everything San Jupinero tackles that it just kind of looks kind of blah. ON IT'S OWN this is a perfectly fine episode but IN THE CONTEXT OF THE PREVIOUS EPISODES it's pretty underwhelming.

Metalhead
I dug this one more for the aesthetic than the story. The story was fine, but I really liked the cool desolate wasteland with the cool robot dog all beautifully shot in black & white. This was just a good episode to watch. I liked this episode.

I like it did the thing that good anthology shows do where it just dumps you into a world where the context of how and why that world came to be isn't explained, and it doesn't actually matter because it's not relevant to the story. Why was the world like this? Where do the robot dogs come from? It's never explained, and the episode is better for it. It was really nice that they did that in this episode because then comes...

Black Museum
I... hmmm... Okay, so I hate the idea of a connected Black Mirror universe, pretty much exactly because of what I just said. It's so much better when you can just drop into a story without the need for any sort of set up of the world, but this episode goes out of it's way to connect itself to previous stories sort of destroys all that. We didn't need to know what links cookies and the virtual reality in San Jupinaro - we never needed to know! It works better if there is no connection at all! Why can't they just all be their own separate stand-alone stories instead of it being one dumb connected universe that only seems to exist so people can make "10 EASTER EGGS YOU MISSED IN BLACK MIRROR" videos.

As for the episode itself, it was OK. But again, it sort of retread some of the same ground that previous episodes did. The mum in the bear felt a lot like the cookies from White Christmas, the pain guy was pretty good (and gross in a good way), but I felt that people coming to shock a hologram of a murder who ~lives in pain forever~ was a bit much.

OVERALL it was pretty good but it didn't have the heights of the previous seasons IN MY OPINION.

CaptainWacky

The "keyrings of the constantly in pain hologram which are also constantly in pain" felt like overkill.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Also it was a similar ending as USS Callister with the bad guy ending up trapped in his own invention. I did like the episode, though. I didn’t see the twist coming and I was relieved it wasn’t about some cut off southern town that displays black people as museum exhibits (I mean it was, but not in a racist way).

And the only direct reference I noticed to other episodes was the remark about uploading old people to the crowd. Don’t really mind it if a few stories on similar themes like these are in the same universe, just so long as it’s not the case for every single episode.

CaptainWacky

USS Callister - ...for a moment I was thinking "wait, this makes no sense" when they flew through the wormhole and the guy from Westworld came back to life and everyone was happy, but it's the kind of ending they would do in Star Trek and I think that's what they were going for...

Oh, I got this completely wrong, Westworld guy didn't come back to life at the end, that was the guy who was forced to be the villain who came onto the bridge at the end (they look a bit alike okay!)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
That’s actually pretty cool looking.

I like that we’re at a point where the people who were inspired by sci-fi can design the real world to look how it was imagined.

Love Child

One Love
I keep thinking about these alternate worlds, virtual reality and how that would actually work-without having a computer and a keyboard-everything is controlled by ones's mind......

The Question

Eternal
And there's British pigfucking, as well.