Bowls (International) -- News

MODMAN

New Hope to push Bowls in the Olymics & Paralympics - World Bowls CEO Neil Dairymple
World-Bowls-Logo-STAN-CMYK-VT-REV-200.png

I read with interest this week the proposed sports to be included on the program for the Los Angeles 2028 Summer Olympics.

When I heard that Baseball/Softball, Cricket, Flag Football, Lacrosse, and Squash were proposed for inclusion, I immediately thought that maybe Bowls does have a chance to be included despite my scepticism. I had feared we had no hope.

Given the inclusion of extreme sports such as skateboarding, surfing, climbing, and breakdancing in recent summer Olympics, I thought the “traditional “sport” of Bowls would have no chance. Now I am not so sure!! Baseball/Softball, Cricket, Lacrosse, and Squash could be described as sports with a reasonable history and longevity, so this gives me some optimism about Bowls!

Click here for full story

MODMAN

Bowls Sweden: aiming to grow

Olle Bachgren from Bowls Sweden competed at the recent 2023 World Championship in the Gold Coast, Australia and enjoyed the experience so much, he wants other Bowlers from Sweden or with Swedish heritage to represent their Country as well.

During the recent Championships, Olle met with World Bowls CEO Neil Dalrymple to discuss the future plans for Bowls Sweden and the possibility of establishing a permanent green in Sweden. Currently, they are utilising Curling facilities and utilising carpet rolled out to play bowls.

MODMAN

Next Exciting Steps for Bowls in Oceania

It is an exciting time for bowls in Oceania. The Oceania Bowls Confederation has come together as an administrative entity for the regional members, Papua New Guinea, Australia, Norfolk Island, New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, Tokelau (affiliation is progress), Niue, Samoa, and the Cook Islands. The Confederation are affiliated to OFSO through World Bowls and hosted in Australia by the latter.

The Confederation held our first AGM on the Gold Coast on September 8th. We are blessed to have high-quality regional administrators like Phil Jones, Radhika Prasad, Des Hipa, and Jason Lindsay who will form the establishment board, with me also joining in my capacity as Regional Director Oceania for World Bowls.