Burning a flag: Free Speech or a hate crime?

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Always been a TK fan, could never figure out those other boards....

The Question

Eternal
I'm firmly convinced that message boards are a dead medium. Ehhhh, 95+% dead. The nearest thing to them now that's still jumping is Reddit.

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
I'd say for the most part, things like Discord have taken the role of forums. And come to think of it, Discord is kind of similar to Usenet.

Now, watch in 10 or 20 years as some new medium that's basically forums/message boards in all but name emerges.

The Question

Eternal
Well, Discord has certainly displaced Skype. All the same functionality, 30-50% less of a resource hog, which always helps.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm firmly convinced that message boards are a dead medium. Ehhhh, 95+% dead. The nearest thing to them now that's still jumping is Reddit.
95% dead like "I'm not dead yet. I think I might get better..." or 95% dead like "He's only *mostly * dead..."

The Question

Eternal
95% dead like, it's still twitching, but it's no longer a sentient lifeform.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I'd say for the most part, things like Discord have taken the role of forums. And come to think of it, Discord is kind of similar to Usenet.

Now, watch in 10 or 20 years as some new medium that's basically forums/message boards in all but name emerges.

Yep, every online game I'm involved in has a discord channel. I kind of hate the software. Guess it's a necessary evil.