Christmas tv adverts 2019

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
John Lewis go back to cute child with cute imaginery CGI creature friend (though I guess this time the creature isn't imaginery and dragons are now canon in the John Lewis Christmas shared universe) after last year's Elton John diversion.

It's cute (obviously) but I preferred last year's. And you know there's going to be countless "SHE GREW UP TO BE DAENERYS AND KILLED A MILLION PEOPLE WITH HER DRAGON LOL" edits shared in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
SO CUTE.

CaptainWacky

Kind of ruined by the end where it's obvious she's never eaten a crisp in her life.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Maybe not lately...

This ad hates men! As proven by the bird stealing the one morsel that was patronizingly offered to him at the end! ANTI-MALEIST!

CaptainWacky

WTF

That's just weird?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
...on the next DICKENSIAN

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Were those tomatoes? WHO EATS AN ORANGE LIKE THAT?

CaptainWacky

I think they could tell how shit it was by the end so added that sarcasitc "based on a true story!" thing.

CaptainWacky

Tesco have a time travelling van.

It's okay. Tells a clear story unlike that Sainbury's crap!

CaptainWacky

I wouldn't normally post an AMERICAN CHRISTMAS COMMERCIAL (*spits*) but but but Anna Kendrick...

This is a win. They made the effor to do a proper Christmas advert (something I don't think Americans always do?) and they got Anna Kendrick. Singing. How can you go wrong? It's hard to be unbiased but I'm rabidly pro "Lays potato chips" now!

And unlike Mariah Carey I totally buy that Anna Kendrick eats crisps.

CaptainWacky

This Argos advert (tv versions is shorter) seems to be one of the most popular.

I think it's because it's a genuine father and daughter and people are always impressed by children playing drums! Give the people something real and they'll respond emotionally. A lesson for SAINSBURY'S there.

So it's a win for Argos but to be honest I'm surprised Argos is still a thing.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I really like that one. I WOULD SHOP AT ARGOS.

CaptainWacky

Aldi are sticking with their carrot and it's a popular character so they are probably right to.

The animation is good but I find Robbie Williams really off-putting and don't want to have to listen to a comedy cover of one of his most over-played songs.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
That song has always sounded like something that was cut from Jesus Christ Superstar anyway, so I guess it all fits somehow.

CaptainWacky

E.T. PROMOTE PRODUCT.

E.T. MANIPULATE YOUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
When the ad started, I got all the feelies.

And then when I saw it was a naked plea for people to stop canceling their cable TV, I literally started feeling sick to my stomach.

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

"YOU'RE NOT A REINDEER, GROW UP."

Asda blah blah blah more cute children.

I WONDER WHAT @headvoid THINKS.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
"If you're not sure your kid is just wildly imaginative or hallucinating, indulge them anyway. What could go wrong?"

(That was rather humbug of me, wasn't it) :(