Do we have any Mechanics in here?

starguard

Unluckiest Charm in the Box
I have a problem.. (mechinical that is) :mmph:

I have a 95 Chevy G20 van that I was supposed to get rid of a while back, but for some reason never got around to it. A few days ago I decidede to pour some "Seafoam" into the engine and in an instant, all hell broke loose!!!

The engine started sputtering and clanging like the valves were banging against the psitons, then the whole thing went dead! I tried starting it again and the only thing it does is make a tapping sound. At first I thought the starter was bad. I took it to be tested and it passed with flying colors. I placed the battery on a charger and with it full charged, the same thing occurs. All the car makes is this stupid tapping noise.

I checked all the fuses and they all tested good

What am I missing here?

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Switch out the timing belt, just to be safe.

starguard

The engine won't even turn over. All it does is make this one "tap" noise when I turn the key, then it does nothing!

starguard

I asked someone on another site, and this is what they suggested :eek:

Sounds like you hydraulic the cylinders. Solids cannot be compressed. Did you read the instructions on the can? Does it even say to pour it down the carb let alone down into the vacuum inlet? Lesson learned my friend.

starguard

Here is a list of everything that is broken so far....:smfundecided:

Overall Damage Report

Engine stopped running (won't even turn over)
Body is rusting out all over
Side windows are plexi-glass and have to be replaced
Radio was stolen and has to be replaced
A/C doesn’t work
Heater is very weak
Interior wiring has to be redone
Rear interior lights don’t work
Rear reclining seats don’t recline and have to be repaired
Engines leaking oil
Engine burns excessive gas
Transmission is leaking fliud and is slipping gears
Dash lights don’t work
Front fog lights don’t work
Passenger window motor has gone out
TV is old black and white CRT and takes a long time to heat up
VCR doesn’t work when weather is cold
Door locks are worn
Front rotors are worn and have to be replaced
Seats are coming apart and have to be re-stitched
Rear Springs are worn
Shocks and Struts are worn out
Emergency Blinker is broken off
Needs new Catalytic Converter
Needs new Rotor and Brake Pads in front
Need new Brake Drums in rear
Need new Ball joints upper and lower on both sides
Trash Container is broken

My better half (who outwardly refused to even be seen in it) called it a "Rolling Deathtrap" and said shes glad the engine is dead :mmph:

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Give it to charity and claim the loss.

If you want to fix it, take a screwdriver and hold the BLUNT end next to your ear, use the pointy end to find out where in the engine the tapping is coming from. Odds are that the clicking is the relay on the starter so start there. Remove the starter and take it to an auto parts store and see if it's ok (Kragen and other chains will do this for you for free). If the starter's good then the relay is TRYING to make the starter turn the engine over, but the engine itself is "frozen". That means engine rebuild (or new engine).

Even without the frozen motor just replacing the catalytic converter's going to cost you $500+ (if you are lucky), and the wiring's never going to be right.

It's probably not worth fixing. Strip anything you want out of it (front seats?) and give it away. Then you take the tax write-off, and they'll tow it and do the paperwork so it doesn't haunt you later.

starguard

I just sold it to the wrecking yard. They gave me a whopping $350 for it :eek:

When the driver jacked it up with his towtruck, the oil came pouring out of it like crazy. I'm sure the heads are gone!

Seeing her go was like putting an old family dog down. For a 95, she really wasn't in all that bad a shape when I bought it. I had it for over 5 years, and believe it or not, she only had 140,000 miles on it when towed (97,000 when I bought it)

When purchased, I origionally planned to have it for just two years to see if I liked it. If I did, I'd sell it and buy a better one, and if I didnt like it, I'd just junk it. I ended up keeping it far longer than I thought I would!

I really hated to see it go....

Oh well, like my wife said..."If we dont get rid of the old, how will we find room for the new! :(