Doctor Who Season 12

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Or the fact that some incel nerds still can't deal with a woman doctor (let alone two).

But this season has indeed been more preachy than past ones, because the writing hasn't been as good. Presenting a humanist case isn't necessarily lefty if it's written well.

Chuckles51

There is a good video on YouTube spoofing chibs and his writing team, if you can call it that. It’s actually way more enjoyable that any of the nurse who episodes!!!

The Question

Eternal
Presenting a humanist case isn't necessarily lefty if it's written well.

Even the "representation checklist" isn't necessarily a problem -- if it's written well. Contrast Jack Harkness against Madam Vastra and Jenny. Harkness is bisexual, but that isn't The Entire Point of him. Vastra and Jenny, meanwhile, seemed to find a way to mention they were married in pretty much every single appearance. It eventually got to the point where I was like, "Yeah, okay, I know that. Bringing anything else to this scene?"

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
So why did Jack bother warning not to give the Cyberman what he wanted when it all turned out fine in the end anyway?

Also the the Doctor's backstory is horribly convoluted now and I don't even see the point. I didn't like when Moffat made the Doctor the most important person in the universe but now it's actually canon that she's the most important Time Lord ever and not just a cool person who ran away from home to be cool. it's just giong to annoy long time viewrs and confuse new viewers.

Sure is lucky there was an old man there to kill himself so that the Doctor didn't have to sacrifice anything in the end!

The scene with Graham and Yaz (which was a good scene in isolation because the actors are good) really made it looks like either Yaz was going to die or Garaham was going to sacrifice himself to save her. But it...led to nothing.

Does Ryan have any personality or reason to be in the show anymore?

Hey all that Irish policeman stuff was a waste of time too what a shock.

I kind of liked some parts but in the end it didn't make me feel anything. Sums up the Chibnall years so far.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
It's amazing how Chibnall managed to combine the worst parts of RTD's finales (very fast paced plots that don't really make sense when you stop to think about them) and Moffat's finales (massive canon altering events that don't end up meaning anything or mattering) and make something worse than either two of those elements on their own.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Hoo boy.

Heads exploded everywhere, didn't they?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
So The Doctor shook off the Master's grip on her... by flooding his mind with all the confusing/contradictory plot twists from the last several decades. Meta!

And they wrap up the seeming finale cliffhanger in a rushed manner as a bait/switch to set up a different cliffhanger from another episode that will probably also be resolved in the first few minutes of the Christmas special because the title gives away that's it's going to be about Daleks.

I'm sick of Jodie's frozen sneer. And how she leaves her mouth open when not speaking.

The Question

Eternal
I think you're starting to get it. It isn't "a woman Doctor" the fans dislike. It's that woman as the Doctor that fans dislike. She's running at a goddamn charisma deficit. Shit, give it to the actress who played Ruth/the heretofore-unknown Doctor -- she actually populates the role. The scenes between her and Whittaker, I only saw one Doctor in them. And it wasn't Whittaker.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Could be worse, you could have waited 50 years for them to have a Yorkshire doctor, then have then turn out to be a gormless wassack.

CaptainWacky

BRING BACK THE DOCTORDONNA.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I think you're starting to get it. It isn't "a woman Doctor" the fans dislike. It's that woman as the Doctor that fans dislike. She's running at a goddamn charisma deficit. Shit, give it to the actress who played Ruth/the heretofore-unknown Doctor -- she actually populates the role. The scenes between her and Whittaker, I only saw one Doctor in them. And it wasn't Whittaker.
Starting to get it? It's been my opinion all along. I never liked her hard-to-understand Sheffield mumbling. I never found her to be a commanding presence, always too perky, plucky and wide-eyed, like it's Doctor Who The Musical. But because the Chibnall scripts have been so generally subpar, the blame can't all be placed on her shoulders.

The Question

Eternal
But because the Chibnall scripts have been so generally subpar, the blame can't all be placed on her shoulders.

I'd agree with that. Her largely vacant performance might indeed be much improved with better writing to fuel it.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Yup.

whisky

Boobie inspector
The only open question is how the pre Hartnel doctor had a tardis stuck as a police box.

For which I give two possibities. Both rely on the pre Hartnel doctors already having a police box tardis.

A) although the tardis chameleon circuit was repaired after the doctor had his mind wiped, it was the same one the doctor stole when he left galifrey and it just broke again.

B) it was a different tardis, but being both sentiment and telepathic, the tardis knew of the doctors old tardis and made itself look like one, then fried its own circuit to stay like that.

The Question

Eternal
Either of those works. The TARDIS isn't bound to linear time. Additionally, it's sentient. It may even have sensed the 13th was about to find it and wanted to give her just a hint of forewarning that she was about to meet another incarnation of herself. I.E., it might not have looked like a police box when it was buried, but put on that face just so 13 would recognize it.

After all, we *saw* the TARDIS just moments before Hartnell stole it, and it wasn't stuck as a police box then. (Remember the Clara time fragment telling him which one to take? It wasn't a police box in that scene.) So the TARDIS could only have been making itself deliberately and very specifically recognizable to 13 to not only warn her that she was dealing with a Time Lord, but to tell her exactly which Time Lord she was dealing with.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Agreed.

CaptainWacky

They should let Jodie write her own lines (assuming she just made that up.)