Does Facebook count as a Godforsaken Hell Hole???

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Just needed to bitch for a second. I have a friend who is a Facebook Friend who sometimes posts pretty entertaining memes. But the problem is, HE FUCKING POSTS ABOUT 3 MEMES AN HOUR FOR HOURS AT A TIME. Seriously, long stretches of me feed are just meme after meme after meme from this guy. I've tried deleting them in hopes that the algorithm would get the message. I've unfollowed the guy for 30 days a couple times. I'd really rather not permanently unfollow him, but I also don't want to be like "dude, tone it back a bit." He's entitled to use FB how he wants. I'm sure people are annoyed by my rambling, oversharing screeds, but no one makes them read them, just like I don't have to read stuff I don't want to. I just wish there was an easier way.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Just needed to bitch for a second. I have a friend who is a Facebook Friend who sometimes posts pretty entertaining memes. But the problem is, HE FUCKING POSTS ABOUT 3 MEMES AN HOUR FOR HOURS AT A TIME. Seriously, long stretches of me feed are just meme after meme after meme from this guy. I've tried deleting them in hopes that the algorithm would get the message. I've unfollowed the guy for 30 days a couple times. I'd really rather not permanently unfollow him, but I also don't want to be like "dude, tone it back a bit." He's entitled to use FB how he wants. I'm sure people are annoyed by my rambling, oversharing screeds, but no one makes them read them, just like I don't have to read stuff I don't want to. I just wish there was an easier way.
What you just told us, make into a meme. If he still doesn't get the message, murder him.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. Got a different "friend" on the other end of the spectrum. She's got a hard-on for a gay failed mayor of some small Indiana town who looks like Mister Bean and Alfred E. Neuman's love child that she somehow thinks would be a good US President. I got about a month of peace and quiet when he dropped out before she started agitating for him in 2024. But I digress. The point is, her 30 day "unfollow" must have lapsed because she popped up with a thread asking for advice about some slavery meme someone posted. You've probably seen it. It points out humans have been enslaving other humans since the dawn of time and continue to to this day. It isn't a "black" thing. So she couldn't let that pass and needed to trot out some other bumpersticker meme about how black slavery was for the US and wondering why the OP didn't say "Oh, now I understand. Gee thanks. How could I have been so wrong?"

Rational me said "Just 'hide' the post and keep going." But I decided, since she asked for advice to point out that responding to a bumpersticker meme with an opposing bumpersticker meme wasn't going to accomplish anything and she should've just "hid" the post. If the poster kept making similar posts that she disagreed with, put him on "snooze" for 30 days and if that didn't work, "unfollow" him. Of course you can guess how well that worked.

"I realized I wasn't going to convert him, but I figured I needed to say something to try to persuade other people looking at the thread...."

Yeah. Gotcha. So you ask for advice and then, when someone gives you advice, you ignore it and do whatever you were going to do anyway. Geez, I can't figure out why your Awesome Plan didn't work. Bummer, dude. Best of luck for Alfred E. Bean in 2025. Really, he is a brilliant saint in a sea of sinners. :)

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
To answer the title question, yes. It eminently does qualify as a Godforsaken Hellhole. To quote someone around here from years ago...

"Trolling on Facebook is like going fishing in a barrel with dynamite. One gets the impression that the majority of its users are the types who never did anything on the internet and just discovered Facebook (a lamer version of what we've been playing with for decades) and thought it was "kewl". These computer virgins are totally ripe targets for even the laziest trolling; a few negative words on one of their walls will often stir the beehive, gathering dozens of jibbering retards around in a squawking frenzy. It may not be trolling of the sort you'd be proud of, but it's damned funny."

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
There may be some of that. I use FB a few different ways. I have my real family (about 400 friends and rl acquaintences), my gaming "friends" which are the majority of the 5k friends I have and my personal page thats linked to my website that I do business on. When people try to troll me on FB they usually don't get too far. For one, my page is pretty tightly locked down, so you can only see what I post if I let you. It's usually a one and done kind of deal. Friends are currency on FB for me for the most part. But a "god forsaken hellhole" like WF or whatever, I don't really feel that way. You can't control what people do there, but on FB you absolutely can.

Oerdin

Just do another 30 day mute and hope after the election is over his insanity will have lessened.

jack

FB does not count as a GFHH

jack