Touching the monolith
Staff member
It looks so GREAT.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Nah, I understand why they would change it. They're probably not going to go into how the various religions and cultures spread across the galaxy because it's a movie. People would be upset and think it was islamophobic without the history the books provide.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Looks great. What are those nose thingies for?

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Looks great. What are those nose thingies for?

They capture the moisture from breath and funnel it into the suit which also catches sweat and recycles it into drinking water. It's called a stilsuit.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Dune is so arid they can't afford to lose the moisture in their breath, or pee, or poop. I wonder if the movie will go into that detail! lol

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Dune is so arid they can't afford to lose the moisture in their breath, or pee, or poop. I wonder if the movie will go into that detail! lol

Actually, if you read the subsequent novels, you'll find that there's plenty of water under the surface, but it's trapped by "sand trout" which are basically baby sandworms. That's why in the original novel they talk about efforts to drill for water always dry up right away.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I've read all the novels many times (except Kevin J Anderson's). Dune is still so arid (on the surface) that they can't afford to lose any moisture.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I do not recognize any of the sequels. The first 2 or 3 aren't terrible, but they definitely aren't up to par with the first book.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I didn't love God Emperor the first couple times I read it, but eventually I loved it almost as much as Dune. The last two books weren't nearly as good but I did love Miles Teg, and Darwi Odrade. And they had chairdogs. lol

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
I've only read the first book... and honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, Herbert is a fantastic world-builder (not counting the hiccups regarding computers, but in fairness, the novels were written before anyone knew just what computers would really become), and a lot of the ideas are captivating. On the other hand, as a book, Dune is a very dry read - as dry as Arrakis' surface itself.

That being said, the movie looks like it's gonna be awesome.

And on a related note, have some music from the video game Emperor: Battle for Dune:

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
God Emperor is a really weird book but it's great!!

It's a "wisdom book" inasmuch as it really doesn't have much of a plot... just one piece of thoughtful insight after another. Leto sits throughout the book dispensing wisdom from his distant memories and spits them out. I like it, but it's really the end of the series for me, since the two following books are rather boring.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I like God Emperor because of Leto's flippers.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!