Dune Movie

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
So, I finally saw it. Much, MUCH better than the 1984 movie. The Baron actually comes off as intimidating, rather than the cackling madman who takes grease showers and forces people to milk cats that he was in that flick.

Come to think of it, what the hell WAS David Lynch smoking when he thought up that scene?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Rereading the book now. It will be interesting, how they tie in the second half. Like I said, a few events were changed or taken out of order. A lot got simplified and streamlined. The book is broken into 3 parts. Part 1 ends with Paul and Jessica in the stilltent. Part 2 is where the knife fight is. And Feyd-Rautha's rigged birthday gladiator fight. It ends with Jessica taking the test and becoming a Reverend Mother (with Alia in the womb); Paul meeting Chani. Part 3 picks up 2 years later, after Paul has become Muad Dib and has been training a Fremen army while the Fremen work secretly to terraform Dune. The movie is supposed to be in 2 parts and part 1 ends with Paul and Jessica arriving at Sietch Tabr. The knife fight has already happened, but not much of the other stuff from Part 2. So depending on what they cut and simplify, there's relatively little material to cover before the 2 year jump in the story. But I can't see how they can have it happen 2 years later. Paul can't train the Fremen until he's met the Fremen. Lady Jessica can't have a 2 year old abomination until she's taken the test. So in spite of how cleanly they've managed to tell the story without any clunky exposition, at some point--fairly early in the 2nd movie--they're going to have to have some kind of "2 YEARS LATER..." card.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Finished the story. Slogging through the appendices now. It's interesting. Both how much memory (and maybe the Lynch movie) plays on my perceptions. The Baron isn't near as gay as I remembered him. I mean, he thinks about boys a lot. But he only actually has one. And we don't even see that--only the after-effects of it. Much like the flying around on his suspensors. That doesn't happen in the book either. And like the Harkonnen/Imperial attack, Paul's victory is mostly portrayed as *fait accompli*. We see them getting ready for it to happen. They talk a bit about what is going to happen. Then it has largely happened and we're on to the knife fight. They're gonna change that for Part 2. Because Herbert chucks the most visually interesting things from the story in favor of exposition.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

lol

Does he think he bought the copyright when he bought the book?

CaptainWacky

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

SWEET.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Princess Irulan? Gotta be.

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky