External HD

ctmelvital

more cookies please?
Okay, I've bought a Western Digital and it sucked. Kinda died on me and cost me 160 GB of data. Now, I need a new one (after which I'll be able to resurrect the WD one, too).
Choice of brands:

Buffalo
Freecom
Iomega
LaCie
Maxtor
Mevis
Seagate
Teac
Toshiba Computer
Vantec
Western Digital

Again, WD is tempting me - 500 GB for about 135$ (including shipping!). But then I've read about people having the exact same thing happen to them that happened to me with that one. :(

I'm kinda leaning towards a Seagate one - but after reading some stuff, it just seems like they all suck. So, advice?
Just hit me with a brand and I'll see what kind of stuff's on offer. Also, don't bother with newsegg , IMO (well, sure, do - but I'm gonna order it here: www.digitec.ch [-]because I'm an evil Nazi[/-] because I live in Switzerland and not in the U.S. ).

Anyway, thanks in advance! :)

missmanners

grrrrrrrr...
I just got my first one, a SimpleTech so I can move stuff more easily from my PC to my laptop. To be honest I wish there was a way to take the drives out of my old laptops and use them.

;)
mm

ctmelvital

more cookies please?
Oh, just some additional info:
I wanna encrypt it with TrueCrypt. ;)

So, it should be able to do that, too. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, though.

Ishcabittle

just a point of fact - all hard drives die, no matter how good or expensive they are. You need to plan on that fact - running with all of your data in one place and one place only is asking for it... the drive is going to give out at some point no matter the quality.

As soon as you plan on the death of your hard drive and institute a backup plan accordingly, you suddenly don't have to worry, and the cheapest drive available is good enough.

So - buy two WD 500GB at $135 and set up a scheduled task to duplicate one to the other every night at 3:00AM. Put something on one, by the next day, the other will have it.