Game of Thrones season 8

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It's coming in April.

(There isn't anything new in that trailer so you probably shouldn't have watched it.)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
WINTER IS HERE.

CaptainWacky

Bran doesn't make the cut.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

CaptainWacky

Tyrion dies early in the season I guess? (There's like one shot of him.)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Surely they need to keep him around so he can summarise the series in some eloquent way before the final credits roll.

CaptainWacky

He probably won't die, it just seems weird.

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

The Great War has come, the Wall has fallen and the Night King's army of the dead marches towards Westeros. The end is here, but who will take the Iron Throne?

For some insane reason they haven't even released a title for the episode (could it be a massive spoiler like 'The One Where Tyrion Dies In The First Twenty Minutes'?) so I can't even do this post I've done for every other episode of the show properly. A sad end to the GOT tradition on TK.

Should be good!

CaptainWacky

(It was called 'Winterfell'.)

It was an episode of reunions and people meeting for the first time. This is necessary, of course. Some were good fun, like Arya and Gendry obviously wanting to fuck each other.

Bran is such a creepy weirdo.

Only Targaryens can ride dragons, so why wasn't Dany surprised that Jon could ride one?

Euron is pretty boring but Lena Headey still does great work. I hope Cersei gets her elephant.

I don't really know how Beric and Tormund survive the walls collapsing while they were standing on it? But the zombie child was scary.

Sansa brought up a good point by asking how she's meant to feed anyone. Then no one answered it. I suspect they'll just not mention it for the rest of the season but they just put it in there to say "see we still pay attention to details sometimes!"

I liked how the new opening titles showed that we're just down to two main locations now and went deeper into both.

I still miss GRRM's dialogue. I think the show writers really struggle when they have to write witty or clever stuff and just fall back on jokes about characters not having balls.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Oh that was good. They were all seeing each other again, and we were seeing them again.

Jon and Dany riding the dragons was cool. I hope they GET MARRIED.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah, a good opener. Nothing too big happened aside from the meetings and Jon finding out he’s shagging his aunt, but still entertaining.

“His eyes are blue!”
“My eyes were always blue!”

CaptainWacky

It was funny how Jon didn't even have a "wait, I'm fucking my aunt!?" reaction.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Kit Harrington said he really struggled with that scene.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

CaptainWacky

GRRM just frantically released that as a "sample chapter" five minutes before it went up, yes.

The battle at Winterfell is approaching. Jaime is confronted with the consequences of the past. A tense interaction between Sansa and Daenerys follows.

CaptainWacky

This week's felt like an extension of the opener as there were more reunions, but I think it was actually a better episode than last week's. The emotions felt heavier and it didn't have some of the (IMHO!) clunky dialogue of the opner (No ball jokes!) Brienne being knighted was a great scene and Gwendoline Christie did an amazing job. We finally get Tormund's origin story too! (I remember when he didn't tell Jon that story back when he first appeared, like he did in the book, people said ti was because it was too silly for tv or something.)

Sansa/Theon was surprisingly emotional and is bound to get shippers shipping (except I'm pretty certain he's dying next week.)

We even got a scene between the two Mormonts and a rare Ghost sighting.

Good on Arya getting some cock. Hey, where is Melisandre anyway?

Jon deciding to tell Dany the truth right before the Army of the Dead arrived (and he knew they were due to arrive at that time, so it's not like it was a surprise to him) was really dumb though.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I loved Brienne getting knighted by Jaime. That was the best scene.

I agree about Jon telling Dany at the last minute, that was dumb. He should have told her right away, or waited until it's all over. Also, she shouldn't be so shocked about it, he can ride a dragon.