Game of Thrones season 8

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
She did have a point about it being odd how the only two people who found out were his brother and best friend.

I liked that they took the time to refamiliarise us with the relationship between characters we haven’t seen together for a while and I loved the scene around the fire.

Bit weird to see Arya in a sex scene tbh. She still looks like a child.

Next week’s is one long battle? Can’t wait!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I agree about Jon telling Dany at the last minute, that was dumb. He should have told her right away, or waited until it's all over.

Especially since they already did the "important conversation interrupted" thing with Sansa and Dany earlier.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Hank Green (the YouTuber) pointed out that and a few other tropes last week and now the writing feels really shoddy. There’s barely a scene which has a solid conclusion. Either people get interrupted before replying to a question, or the editing interrupts them as it’ll cut to another scene mid conversation. I see how it ramps up the tension but it’s annoying as well.

CaptainWacky

Yeah also last week when Bran told Dany that one of her dragons is now a zombie and it cut away before we saw her reaction and she never mentioned it again...that was bad.

CaptainWacky

The Night King and his army have arrived at Winterfell and the great battle begins.

PREDICT WHO WILL DIE. My picks...

Jorah
Theon
Grey Worm
Beric
Pod
That Guy From The Vale Who's With Sansa Sometimes
Rhaegal (a dragon)

CaptainWacky

PREDICT WHO WILL DIE. My picks...

Jorah
Theon
Beric

I guess these were the most predictable deaths, but I was still right! Theon's was done best. I almost predicted Lyanna dying (because really she's a child fighting an army of the undead) but thought maybe Jorah would save her or something. Though really her surviving would have been more believable than Sam surviving after he needed saving about five times (why was he fighting anyway?) And maybe Rhaegal did die I couldn't tell. Which is kind of a problem...

So yeah it was a good episode but also hard to follow what was happening? I know that's probably what it's like in a real battle with the undead but it's a tv show and I thnk we're used to be able to actually follow the action on tv. There were so many times when like Jaime or Brienne or Turmond were completely swarmed and buried by zombies and I thought "wait are they dead?" then a minute later we saw them running off and I was like "oh, guess not." Arya being chased through the library was the best sequence because I could follow everything that was happening (thought it was kind of weird that there were big parts of Winterfell completely empty considering how many people were there?)

Oh hey, it's Ghost rushing into battle! He's bound to do something cool at last! Oh he's just disappeared/died.

But I'm sure Sansa will use that knife they set up and then show again! No, she survived without having to do anything. And it was really confusing how Gilly was standing closest to the zombies in the crypt and like four girls who looked like her died but I guess she didn't?

It was nice that Mel came back to help (even though she didn't actually help in the end) but are we supposed to think she thoguht Arya was Azor Ahai in the end because she killed the Night King? Yet Mel indicated that she'd known Arya's destiny since they first met back in season three...so why did she spend so many years convinced Stannis (then later Jon) was Azor Ahai? Oh well she's dead now.

Jon and Dany just seemed to spend a lot of the episode randomly flying about but the actual drgaon fight was good when we got to it.

It's good that Arya killed the Night King (AND SHE DID THAT MOVE LAST SEASON SO THEY DIDN'T STEAL IT FROM REY IN TLJ OKAY) but how did she like just jump out of nowhere? Was she up a tree?

Last edited:

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
It was decent, but (and I don’t usually say this sort of thing) it needed more big character deaths. Keeping people in suspense about who’s going to die is a cheap alternative to a good plot (The Walking Dead), but this was a huge battle! And half the main characters don’t know how to fight! It was unrealistic that so many survived and this wouldn’t have happened in GRRM’s day.

Still I did like Lyanna’s giant fight, Jorah died exactly how he would’ve wanted to and Arya’s killer blow was a cool moment.

What mostly disappointed me was that the Night King’s motives didn’t come across. Was he just going to stare at Bran for the rest of time? He had ample time to do more than just stare at him.

One theory I like is that the Dothraki (and Ghost) only pretended to die so that they can go on to fight Cersei. Considering how obsessed Dany is with the throne I wouldn’t be surprised. And it’d explain why Jorah returned. I can’t imagine him retreating otherwise.

No undead Ned or Lady Stoneheart. :(

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I didn't think the battle was ever going to end. The last 10 minutes could have been done in 2.

I didn't want Lyanna to die :rwmad: I'm pretty sure Rhaegal will survive because there are dragons in the previews. I COULD BE WRONG.

Oh, I did love when Mel lit the Dothraki's sword thingies.

CaptainWacky

She thought it was too dark too.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
tumblr_pqq09j58831sd1t0so8_540.gif

I think this was my favorite moment of all the battle scenes.

CaptainWacky

The Battle of Winterfell is over and a new chapter for Westeros begins.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I watched it already because I was seeing spoilers on Twitter.

BUT NOW I AM :rwmad: just like Dany.

CaptainWacky

I know the shows aren't the books. I know I have to accept that the show version of Jon (and all the Starks really) doesn't have the same relationship with his direwolf that book version has. I wish it wasn't so, but I accept that's a difference between book and show. BUT HE COULD HAVE FUCKING PETTED GHOST BEFORE SENDING HIM AWAY.

So Euron's fleet has a cloaking device? Sitting between two rocks makes them invisible from above? Did Cersei actually plan to capture Missandei or was she just really lucky that the one hostage she took happened to be someone who was particularly close to Dany?

Jaime what the fuck.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Why does there always have to be a Greyjoy for us to hate?

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
It's weird how as the writing gets worse the costumes get better because these are all great looks ESPECIALLY SANSA'S with her big chain

hNsndSE.png

sEjxeDW.png

FVnMti9.png
kSNU3NZ.png

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
The shout out to SanSan was good. lol

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
They do write funny dialogue at least.

I’m hoping Jaime kills Cersei (maybe she says she’s carrying his child as she dies), then someone kills Dany so Jon can be king.

CaptainWacky

How long has she been pregnant? She's still not showing!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Hopefully Urine GreyJoy wonders how Tyrion knows Cersei is preggo.