GAMES

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I like to play games. There are lots of games coming out soon that I want to play. I will post trailers and news of these games in this thread.

Blizzard just had their big yearly event, Blizzcon, and despite being rightfully raked over the coals for the whole banning of the Hearthstone player for shouting "Free Hong Kong" on a grandmasters stream they do make games that I like a lot.

I play a LOT of Hearthstone. This set looks to be by far the most powerful released yet. It will probably break the game. I can't wait.

Blizzard cinematics are insane and whilst I didn't play the last WOW expansion I will probably be coming back for Shadowlands. It looks very good.

Holy shit.

Lame apologies from Blizzard aside, this year looks strong af. I'll be playing everything they put out again.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member

This also looks great. Star Wars games have a long and varied history from absolute masterpieces like Jedi Knight II and KoTOR 1%2, Galaxies, Tie Fighter, etc to complete rubbish like Force Unleashed II. All indications so far is that this is going to be one of the good ones.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I am obsessed with Kerbal Space Program. I've put a 1000+ hours into it and with mods, it just gets better. I was not expecting KSP2 to come out so soon. But it is. And it's going to be spectacular.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Likewise, Crusader Kings 2 is a game I have been playing since it came out in 2012 and absolutely love. Ck3 has a lot to live up to but if it nails what it's trying to do it's going to be insanely brilliant.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
cool. warcraft and diablo 4 look amazing! I want to give Crusader Kings a whirl.

Currently involved it GoT: winter is coming on FB/GTarcade. Lots of fun.

Mirah

I love you
For some reason I was thinking that maybe you were going to be talking about board games. I wonder if anyone plays board games anymore? Perhaps I shall make a different thread for that!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I play board and card games, but usually it's the PC/console.online version of it. (Uno, Monopoly, Game of Life, Scrabble, etc.)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
When we get together for the holidays, yes, we do it old school. Our favorite game is Loaded Questions. Also a dice game called LCR (money gets involved then).

We used to play poker often, but most of the big poker players in the family aren't around anymore.

But we also play Nintendo 64/Wii games with the kids.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Currently playing X-COM 2: War of the Chosen. It's quite brilliant.

Whoever did the casting call for the voice acting was obviously a huge Trek fan because it has Jonathan Frakes, John De-Lancie, Marina Sirtis, Denise Crosby, Dwight Shultz AND Michael Dorn. It's great.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Cyberpunk is the only game I’m looking forward to right now. I don’t have a current generation console so I try not to keep up to date with releases or I’d be sad.

For some reason I was thinking that maybe you were going to be talking about board games. I wonder if anyone plays board games anymore? Perhaps I shall make a different thread for that!

I’ve been playing Carcasonne almost every day lately. Every game is different.

Takenoko, Sushi Go and Sabateur are also current favourites.

Absolutely no idea what’s getting released soon, but you can never tell if they’re good til you play them anyway.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I am obsessed with Kerbal Space Program. I've put a 1000+ hours into it and with mods, it just gets better. I was not expecting KSP2 to come out so soon. But it is. And it's going to be spectacular.

lol it was fucking terrible. They completely botched the release with one of the worst buggy messes ever. Total faliure. MASSIVE LETDOWN.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I know it's Todd, and he can overpromise and exaggerate to the point where he's a living meme, but they are showing us the goods, and Starfield looks FUCKING AMAZING.

Fuck summer, take me to September so I can spend 1000+ hours in this game, please.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
And then there is FINAL FANTASY 16. I watched Asmongold play the demo for the first two hours on stream, and I was completely fucking blown away. I'm not even sure how they have managed to pull it off, but I should have known Yoshi P would deliver something spectacular.

I was originally skeptical about there being no party and turn based combat not featuring as even a hybrid option, ala Final Fantasy VII Remake, but I'm sold now.
The only problem is that it's PS5 exclusive for a year, so I have to wait for the PC release since even though I was tempted by this, I'm still not buying a whole console for it.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, and I almost forgot. While it's not the single-player Knights of the Old Republic III I've been waiting on for TWENTY FUCKING YEARS, this does look kind of neat. It is Ubisoft so there are reasons to be slightly weary. Ubisoft games are usually competently made but can be formulaic. That said, this does look very nice.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member

This one came out of left field. Flight Simulator 2020 is nowhere near the end of its shelf life and is constantly being updated (World Update XII just came out a few weeks ago), and a lot of people (me included) have 100s of GBs of addons for it. This doesn't look like a complete ground-up rework of the engine or anything, though, and it should be backwards compatible. Instead, it looks like a comprehensive addon for more aviation-based activities in the game, like search and rescue, which will be very nice to have. I currently pay a subscription for a third-party career addon for FS2020, so if we get something native in 2024, that would be exciting for me.

It's a bit confusing, though. A new Flight Simulator usually ushers in a truly next gen experience over its predecessor, but this looks like it could be a big DLC for 2020 instead of its own game. This is only a tiny teaser but I expect to be seeing a lot more innovation to justify it being an entirely new game (I'll still buy it)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
What about the biggest game of the summer, AEW: FIGHT FOREVER?