Germany Bans Windows 7 and Xbox!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
TURN ON CNN!!!111 :shock:
In Microsoft-Motorola Patent Fight, German Court Bans Xbox, Windows 7

By Harro Ten Wolde / REUTERS
Posted: 05/ 2/2012 4:37 am Updated: 05/ 2/2012 12:30 pm

MANNHEIM, Germany (Reuters) - A court in Mannheim ruled on Wednesday that Microsoft infringed Motorola Mobility's patents and ordered Microsoft to remove its popular Xbox 360 gaming consoles and Windows 7 operating system software from the German market.

However, Microsoft said that the ruling did not mean that its products would be taken off retailers' shelves because a U.S. district court in Seattle has granted Microsoft a preliminary injunction against Motorola to prevent the phone maker from enforcing any German court order.

"Motorola is prohibited from acting on today's decision, and our business in Germany will continue as usual while we appeal this decision and pursue the fundamental issue of Motorola's broken promise," Microsoft said in a response to the ruling.

The Mannheim case is related to the larger smartphone patent war being fought by Apple, Microsoft and mobile phone makers who use Google's Android software such as Samsung.

German judge Holger Kircher said on Wednesday Microsoft breached an agreement with Motorola Mobility, which is in the process of being bought by Google, in using certain video-compression software in products including Windows 7 and Xbox.

But following complaints by Microsoft and Apple the EU competition authorities have opened two investigations into whether Motorola has been over-charging for the use of its patents in their rival products.

Technology companies have invested billions of dollars in buying up patent portfolios that they can use defensively or offensively against rivals and spent still more money litigating in the United States and Europe.

Last week a judge for the U.S. International Trade Commission also said Microsoft infringed Motorola Mobility's patents for technology used in the Xbox's wireless internet connection and video compression functions.

LITTLE IMPACT

However, Wednesday's ruling is also expected to have little immediate impact for Microsoft's wider European distribution operations as it has already moved its regional software distribution centre to the Netherlands from Germany in anticipation of adverse judgments in the patent trial.

Germany has in recent months become a major battleground in the global patent war between makers of mobile phones, tablet computer devices and their operating software as court actions there have proved to be relatively cheap and speedier than in other jurisdictions.

Earlier this year German courts forced Korea's Samsung Electronics to stop selling its Galaxy 10.1 tablet in the country and told Apple Inc to de-activate "push" notification features for some customers in Germany.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
Pfft... Germany... who cares what those crazy 'krauts d.... oh, HEY!!!! :rwmad:

*holds her laptop tight* I dare them to come and try to take my beloved Win7 from me :rant:

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Germany is moving to push Microsoft out because of the passive surveillance capabilities of it's products. They're one of the few countries with the economic fortitude to try to pull it off.

Every toogle of the js or keystroke builds the data set. Why look, Im doing it right now.

AAAANyway. Back to wondering what these folks are looking for -

http://berliner-unterwelten.de/home.1.1.html

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
No, just someone addicted to their 360, and fearful of German Scheisse videos.
Dude, seriously - of all things you should be fearful of, videos of German Scheisse are the least to worry about.

@ Gear -
meh, I am pretty sure that there'll be some agreement or something letting MS keep the power firmly in their hands. Germany's good at doing grand gestures, but when it comes to fighting it 'till the end... heh, well.

Back to wondering what these folks are looking for -

http://berliner-unterwelten.de/home.1.1.html
Metropolis, presumably.
Actually, this stuff looks pretty cool, I'll put it on my list of things to do in Berlin next time I'm there. I'll report back on my findings, of course.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
I tremble in trepidation and expectation at the possibility of a next grand gesture.

I'm a sucker for spectacle to be sure.

So, If I was digging around looking for something I'd want to be sure and give my effort a public face, like say, calling my group a historical society of some sort. It'd help explain all the tractor loads of dirt and fellas running around with lights on their heads.

My favorite part of the faq is where they explain how you won't be allowed to take pictures/video because it interferes with the flow of the tour.

COME ON!

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
I tremble in trepidation and expectation at the possibility of a next grand gesture.
As well you should. You know when we say grand, we do mean Grand.

I know right?! Why the fuck else would I subject myself to the possibility of sewer rat encounters if not to feed your lust for conspiracies???

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
I know right?! Why the fuck else would I subject myself to the possibility of sewer rat encounters if not to feed your lust for conspiracies???

It's almost like they want to make sure nobody snaps a pic of anything they shouldn't until everyone's absolutely positively sure there's nothing to snap a pic of. You can just be letting that shit slip out. Gotta balance access with with exposure to make it fly I always say...

"Flow of tour".... FUCK OFF WITH THAT SILLY SHIT you bastards!

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
ROFL, when being instructed at the start of the tour, I think it would be only prudent to inquire IN DETAIL how exactly the snapping of pictures disturbs the "flow", and if the guide is sure that this is the only reason why they don't want people to do it.

Accompanied by randomly pointing at exhibits and asking if it were ok to make a really quick picture. Repeatedly. Preferably during short breaks.

God of Bore

Me not Spambot. You Jane.
Now they have one more reason to and also way more free time on their hands to start another major world conflict.