How has my white privilege served me today?

Mirah

I love you
Please post all of the ways in which you have benefited from being white today. If you are indeed not white, then no need to respond to this thread. But you may if you like of course. You are more than welcome to give your feedback or thoughts or laughter.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
It's a crock of shit. I'm smarter than a lot of people, and that's worked to my advantage. Should I act dumb or not use my intelligence just because other people aren't as smart?

Being White wasn't a choice, and I'm not going to pass on the advantages of being White just because someone else isn't. Life isn't fair.

The Question

Eternal
Well, I wasn't admitted to a university in spite of my lack of academic achievement. I wasn't hired to a job I'm not qualified for. I wasn't offered a home loan I'm not financially capable of supporting.

On the other hand, I regularly stand accused of things I haven't done based on the color of my skin. So I've got that going for me.

Ultimately, though, as we all know, race is only a social construct, like gender is. So I identify as a refrigerator. Now put pizza in me or you're a bigot.

Mirah

I love you
Saint should change his avatar to an animal. I'm just sayin.

I appreciate a space to discuss these things openly. I see a lot of shut down in some communities, which I don't think solves anything. I get what some are saying, but it doesn't seem helpful.

I don't think I need to apologize for being white, or dumb anything down for anyone. But I can stand up for those that are being unfairly persecuted, or at least point out unfair advantages based upon physical qualities and not on qualifications or intelligence.
I don't think I have the energy to stand up for everyone though-so I mostly focus my efforts on women and children.

I see the struggle of the white male, and I see the struggle of a black person, but I have never experienced it-so I don't know what kind of extra difficulties they may face in their day to day activities. I don't think a solution is to shut one out in order to gain equallity-same with women's issues-but I do think each side can learn and lean towards a better solution.

I am too idealistic. I know.

The Question

Eternal
"White privilege" is largely a myth propagated to excuse anti-white racism in those cases where it can't be lied or spun away.

"Nobody's racist against white people!"

"What about hiring policies that discriminate against whites, such as those at the BBC?"

"Well, that's just to counter white privilege!"

Furthermore, nobody calls members of non-white groups "racist" for advancing the interests of their own culture. Only whites are subjected to that, and on the basis of "white privilege."

Well, nope. I'm one of those problematic white men who believes in Dr. King's dream of a world where people are judged on their character, and not on the color of their skin. So I'm not a racist -- including against my own race.

Mirah

I love you
I just read that POC get jailed more often for ganja (That was the word they used!) related offenses than white people do.

IS THIS TRUE?!?!?

The Question

Eternal
Since I don't commit ganja offenses to get jailed for, the subject has never interested me enough to research it and find out. Maybe they get jailed for breaking that law more often because they break that law more often.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
That's a distinct possibility.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Stats I read show that at the same level of statistic blacks are disproportionately punished more severely.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Right...

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
wanna see my citations?