I can't take this rural midwest shit.

The Question

Eternal
Fuck this Green Acres bullshit. I don't need an impossible-to-afford, rioting-cupcakeer-apocalypse-ass metropolis, but Jesus fucking Christ, this Howdy Doody horseshit is fucking insufferable. Plus, grateful as I am to family who rented me a 3 bedroom house for $600/mo (plus utilities), that's not actually a better deal, financially, than I had in Holbrook, where it was $600/mo with utilities included. It's actually more expensive, and although the personal, immediate accommodations are better -- 3 bedroom house versus <100 sq. ft. motel room -- the town it's in sucks so much harder that it's tough to see the upside.

So I guess come May '21, when this lease is up, it's back to Arizona. Maybe Bisbee. Maybe even back to Holbrook, just not back to the shit-ass "apartment complex" I was in before, there.

I don't know.

I do know one thing: after 20+ years in Arizona, I am with no doubt and no apology an Arizonan.

Oerdin

$600 a month plus utilities sounds like a steal. You can collect tin cans and make that much in a month. Shit, working part time at McDonald’s would do it. Just how poor are you?

The Question

Eternal
Social Security Disability, $902/mo. Supplemented by freelance writing work.

That said, most "civilized" (yeah, that's a fucking laugh in 2020) places, rent for a decent place is at minimum every dollar I get, and then of course landlords want 2-3x that.

Oerdin

Food stamps are $190 per month plus the free food donations from charities. If you can’t work any job on SSIDI then work under the table like 10 million illegals do. Shit, plow up all the grass to grow veggies and sell them at the local farmer’s market. You could probably make a couple grand just selling “artisan chili sauce” or something. I used to know a guy who quit a great tech career which was very well paid because he hated it and instead he started selling hotdogs and canned cokes in San Francisco. He worked longer hours but actually made more money and he liked it because he was his own boss. Make a YouTube channel and do side hustles and see if you can’t make a go of it.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
What you could do is bullshit your way into accessing a Twitter admin panel, then hack some prominent Twitter accounts, then use them to run a Bitcoin scam and make a few hundred grand.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
If Trump has his way, your SSDI will be gone two months after the "payroll tax holiday" is implemented. You're aware of that?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
YouTube monetization sucks now. Become a Twitch streamer and run trivia games, and watch the viewer subs, tips and donations pour in each month.

(Actually you would probably get banned for TOS violations inside a week, which would be funny to watch)

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Fuck this Green Acres bullshit. I don't need an impossible-to-afford, rioting-cupcakeer-apocalypse-ass metropolis, but Jesus fucking Christ, this Howdy Doody horseshit is fucking insufferable. Plus, grateful as I am to family who rented me a 3 bedroom house for $600/mo (plus utilities), that's not actually a better deal, financially, than I had in Holbrook, where it was $600/mo with utilities included. It's actually more expensive, and although the personal, immediate accommodations are better -- 3 bedroom house versus <100 sq. ft. motel room -- the town it's in sucks so much harder that it's tough to see the upside.

So I guess come May '21, when this lease is up, it's back to Arizona. Maybe Bisbee. Maybe even back to Holbrook, just not back to the shit-ass "apartment complex" I was in before, there.

I don't know.

I do know one thing: after 20+ years in Arizona, I am with no doubt and no apology an Arizonan.

Interestingly enough, Blondie and I are considering moving to the Idado/Eastern Washington area near Spokane. Spokane has great VA facilities, which is good for both of us, and the area is nice and White. We're debating this until the end of the year when we'll reach a final yea or nay.

Of course, if the shit hits the fan in November, which I have a sneaking suspicion it might, we've enough saved up we can load up and cut and run then if things look bad.

Yeah, we're actually factoring civil unrest into our lives. Here in the USA.

jack

I've got a place near Montreal which I've been sharing with two other couples. We used to use it for Montreal stayovers pre covid, but if things get squirrelly I've already made arrangements to fly up to Montreal in a private plane in December, if necessary and I'll stay up there til stuff sorts itself out.

The fear mongering and what if's have become ridiculous, but I'm not sticking around to get into a firefight with someone over it. I'm about 20 mins to Montreal by private plane.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor

I don't know.

Fun, isn't it?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
What you could do is bullshit your way into accessing a Twitter admin panel, then hack some prominent Twitter accounts, then use them to run a Bitcoin scam and make a few hundred grand.
Lex Luthor and/or Peter from "Office Space" agree.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Interestingly enough, Blondie and I are considering moving to the Idado/Eastern Washington area near Spokane. Spokane has great VA facilities, which is good for both of us, and the area is nice and White. We're debating this until the end of the year when we'll reach a final yea or nay.

Of course, if the shit hits the fan in November, which I have a sneaking suspicion it might, we've enough saved up we can load up and cut and run then if things look bad.

Yeah, we're actually factoring civil unrest into our lives. Here in the USA.
Cour de Lane is beautiful. And you could live on a boat.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Cour de Lane is beautiful. And you could live on a boat.

Cour D'Alene/Post Falls area is actually what we're looking at.

jack

Post Falls is lovely. Remote yet accessible and gorgeous.

ccimage-shutterstock_1027806043.jpg

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Cold half the year though.

We can fucking handle that given the trade off: little to no cupcakeers, nicer area, saner people, little to no cupcakeers, etc.

Did I mention little to no cupcakeers? Both of us are tired of dealing with them, her in her professional capacity and me in general.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
We can fucking handle that given the trade off: little to no cupcakeers, nicer area, saner people, little to no cupcakeers, etc.

Did I mention little to no cupcakeers? Both of us are tired of dealing with them, her in her professional capacity and me in general.
I'm tired of dealing with the cupcakeers too. Always asking me for money. Next time it happens, I'm telling them I donated to the NAACP and the United Negro Fund(even if I don't). Get your money from them and leave me alone.

The Question

Eternal
I'll admit, that may be one of the few nice things about the rural midwest; a low, bordering on nonexistent, Dindu Nuffins count.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
I'm tired of dealing with the cupcakeers too. Always asking me for money. Next time it happens, I'm telling them I donated to the NAACP and the United Negro Fund(even if I don't). Get your money from them and leave me alone.

I always just pull off my shades and give them the crazy eyes. That usually does the trick. cupcakeers are quietly terrified of crazy white people.

The Question

Eternal
Now, on the flip side of what I said above: There's also a way lower beaner count here, particularly compared to Arizona. Up side to that is, lower levels of legal labor displacement and wage contraction. Down side... no good Mexican restaurants. The roommate, when he landed in Waterloo (never name a fucking town after Abba shit, Jayzus...) said he bought an "Iowa taco." With potato in it (that's not so bad) and corn. Jesus fucking Christ, can we keep Radar O'Reilly out of the fucking taquerias, please?