I haven't mentioned WF in literally MONTHS.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
If you had told me twenty years ago that I would no longer care about Star Wars, Star Trek or doctor who, I would have said you were crazy!!!

I'm getting there. A neighbor of mine is a major SW and ST junkie... especially SW... and will bore the hell out of me with his endless SW babble about Clone Wars and other shit I don't care about. I haven't even watched The Mandolorian yet. Don't plan on it either.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The last movie I watched first-run was "Spiderman: Homecoming." For some reason I was worried that I'd miss it if I waited for it to hit the second-run theater. And for some reason I felt it was important to see it.

Awesome second-run and independent theaters is one thing I miss about Portland Oregon. Apparently Louisville had one independent theater left that closed over a decade ago. And now there's one 8plex in a strip mall that has cheap movies. In Portland you have the McMenamin's chain. They buy up funky old buildings like a Quaker mission or a building from the World's Fair and turn them into pub/movie theaters. You can go see "Joker" while eating a tasty burger and enjoying one of their microbrews in neat surroundings. Here your only option is a multiplex that is like a trip back to 1985.

The Question

Eternal
You're lucky you've got even one 8-plex. Here in 1950s-locked Holbrook, we've got... The Roxy. One theater. One screen. One flick at a time.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
You're lucky you've got even one 8-plex. Here in 1950s-locked Holbrook, we've got... The Roxy. One theater. One screen. One flick at a time.
[still haven't figured out smilies yet, I see shrug] You move to a town of 5,000 by choice, you get the amenities of a town of 5,000.

The Question

Eternal
By necessity /= by choice. And just because this 60%-ghost-town-ass town is what I can afford doesn't mean I can't make mention of how shit it is. If I could still afford Jewed-out-of-affordability Tempe, that's where I'd be. As an aside: you know, you don't have to be a dick, it's just an option.

Oerdin

About half of the movie theaters around here have gone the high end route with full on lazy boy recliners, end tables, and waiter service. When you push the button the waitress will come, take your food and drink orders, then bring it to you as you recline and watch the movie. It is an improvement over the old hard seats found in movie theaters 30 years ago but I’d rather just stay home. I already have the recliner, home entertainment system, and big screen tv plus my wife is a pretty good cook to boot.

Oerdin

By necessity /= by choice. And just because this 60%-ghost-town-ass town is what I can afford doesn't mean I can't make mention of how shit it is. If I could still afford Jewed-out-of-affordability Tempe, that's where I'd be. As an aside: you know, you don't have to be a dick, it's just an option.

I am 100% serious here: Move to Kansas City or (if you can stand the cold) Buffalo. You can rent a nice house with a big yard for $800 a month, eat a T-bone steak in a sit down restaurant for $10, plus those cities are large enough to have good employment base along with all the cultural opportunities you usually have to forego when looking at cheap places to live.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
About half of the movie theaters around here have gone the high end route with full on lazy boy recliners, end tables, and waiter service. When you push the button the waitress will come, take your food and drink orders, then bring it to you as you recline and watch the movie. It is an improvement over the old hard seats found in movie theaters 30 years ago but I’d rather just stay home. I already have the recliner, home entertainment system, and big screen tv plus my wife is a pretty good cook to boot.

I don't do theaters much anymore either but those places are definitely the way to go if one is into it. Most are 21+ as well, which cuts down on the irritation factor.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I am 100% serious here: Move to Kansas City or (if you can stand the cold) Buffalo. You can rent a nice house with a big yard for $800 a month, eat a T-bone steak in a sit down restaurant for $10, plus those cities are large enough to have good employment base along with all the cultural opportunities you usually have to forego when looking at cheap places to live.
I don't know about the $10 steak, but I just bought a house to rent out in Louisville. And The Plan was to rent my current house, since that's already fixed up, and move to the other place while I fix it up. There are a number of reasons The Plan didn't happen, but a big one was that the rental is a 3 bedroom, which can command $1,000 a month in rent, while my 2 bedroom place--which is actually nicer and 500sf larger--will only get around $750 a month.

It was a real eye-opener, awhile back, when I had to move back home for 3 months to take care of my Mom when she had pancreatic cancer. While the selection was a lot less, the prices for groceries were higher than in a decent sized city. Unless said small town has a friend or relative that is providing room and/or board, finding a small city makes a lot of sense. More opportunities, more competition, and so actually lower costs than in the hick town of 2,000, where the town board keeps anyone from opening a Burger King because the Mom & Pop burger joint would lose business. You know what happened in that case? The hick town 10 miles down the road got the Burger King. Then all the hicks would drive 10 miles for Burger King, the Mom & Pop burger joint closed anyway and now the town of 2,000 has nothing. They eventually wound up getting a Burger King, but by then it was too late.

Oerdin

If you are on a fixed income with no hope of ever being gainfully employed ever again then you could also consider moving over seas. There are a number of countries where you can live very comfortably on $1,000 per month. Failing that, apply for section 8 as that can get you an affordable place any where you want in the US.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
I can vouch for most of what Oerdin said about KC at least because I live somewhat near there but not in it. Not sure about the $10 steak dinner thing anymore. a lot of cattle caught on fire here a few years back, but the BBQ joints are great, plentiful, and cheap. Rents are also pretty cheap depending on what part of the city you're in. The whole place has cleaned itself up a lot in the past 10-15 years and it's angling to become a tech hub of sorts, jobs are plentiful everywhere. There's still a lot of violence here and there but it's nowhere near what it used to be at all.

It's also a lot more diverse than you'd think, culturally and otherwise. It has a rep as a primitive cow town but that's not the case.

The Question

Eternal

Been thinking of maybe checking out ABQ next year when I've finished out the lease here. Similarly inexpensive but still southwest.

The Question

Eternal
Not sure about the $10 steak dinner thing anymore. a lot of cattle caught on fire here a few years back...

I am mildly disturbed by the idea of... flammable cattle. What are we talkin' here, lightning strike? Spontaneous beef combustion? Were they all milling around, as cattle do, but like... up against each other, until the friction ignited 'em?