In Which I Cause WF To Strangle Itself TO DEATH.

Knight Templar

Actually "The Orville" is closest to Star Trek among anything being produced today. Ironic that it was apparently sold by MacFarland as a comedy and a parody of original Star Trek when in reality what he was trying to do (and succeeded) was in creating his own very well done version of the Original Series.

The Question

Eternal
I'd say The Orville is more of a style pastiche of TNG than of TOS. But you're right, he pulled that off very effectively. I mean, episodes like, "Pria," "Majority Rule," "Mad Idolatry," and especially "If The Stars Should Appear."

Every single one of those episodes is the distilled essence of TNG. Interestingly, while shows like Discovery use Star Trek place- and species- names as nothing more than window dressing, cynically selling itself as "Star Trek" while being anything but, The Orville does exactly the opposite -- it changes out the window dressing but is at its core exactly Star Trek.

Side note on Discovery: "POC" lead protagonist? Dark, gritty tone? Section 31? Any of this sounding familiar to anybody?

Deep Space Nine did all that shit. First. And better.

The Question

Eternal
It really is interesting, isn't it, how DS9's "Far Beyond The Stars" managed to be more "woke" 22 years ago than Discovery has been yet -- except DS9 even did "woke" better, by putting story first.

Knight Templar

It really is interesting, isn't it, how DS9's "Far Beyond The Stars" managed to be more "woke" 22 years ago than Discovery has been yet -- except DS9 even did "woke" better, by putting story first.

Well to be fair, from what I've read "Far Beyond The Stars" represents a largely idealized and fictionalized idea of the culture at a small science fiction magazine in the 1950s. In short it represents a culture and environment that modern science fiction writers "wish" had been reality. But it is my understanding that writers (including science fiction writers) of that era were pretty reflective of the culture they lived in and had grown up in. In short they were just as racist and sexist as society in general.

Last edited:

Chuckles51

It was also addressed in badda bing badda bang in the dialogue between Kassidy and Sisko, where Sisko says Vic’s hologram reality doesn’t reflect how things were back then, and Kassidy tells him that it is how it should have been. Good writing makes a point without beating you over the head with it.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Well to be fair, from what I've read "Far Beyond The Stars" represents a largely idealized and fictionalized idea of the culture at a small science fiction magazine in the 1950s. In short it represents a culture and environment that modern science fiction writers "wish" had been reality. But it is my understanding that writers (including science fiction writers) of that era were pretty reflective of the culture they lived in and had grown up in. In short they were just as racist and sexist as society in general.

All you have to do is look at some of the major works of that time period and see that. For example, look at Stranger In A Strange Land by Heinlein and see what he thought about women and how they should be treated.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
All you have to do is look at some of the major works of that time period and see that. For example, look at Stranger In A Strange Land by Heinlein and see what he thought about women and how they should be treated.
"What do you say to a woman with 2 black eyes?"

The Question

Eternal
Giving them the vote was dicey enough; allowing them to hold public office will eventually prove out to have been societal suicide. Take Gretchen Whitmer -- or, really, any female Democrat in office, as a case in point.

The Question

Eternal
To paraphrase... "Life isn't our line." "We deal in mockery, friend."

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Hey, the corpse of Troll Kingdom is back to a shambling mockery of life! Wow.

Not really, but cool as hell to see you here!

jack

I have always been here . . .
24516864-352-k667987.jpg

jack

Nah, it's the part where I smile and say "gotcha".

:bigass: