It's dead, Jim.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Dell Inspiron 600M
"Bubble"
March 2003-February 2007​

It's last words were "Windows cannot start because Boot cannot find DLLs for HAL." It had been ill for some time.

I gotta come up with some money fast. Meanwhile, my roommate and I will be fighting over Grandpa Mac G4 in the living room.

Light a candle.

Ishcabittle

That G4 ain't no grandpa. Unless you're running apps like Photoshop. LOL.

You could always reinstall windows on the Bubble... unless the drive itself is dead.

Acrimonious

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Friday

Bazinga!
May Bubble rest in peace.

candle.jpg

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
No, it's definitely hardware, not just Windows. It's been displaying a vast array of symptoms over the past month. I couldn't even use the keyboard or it would short out, I had an old Mac USB keyboard plugged in.

Luckily my files are 99% backed up, so retrieval isn't a life-or-death thing at the moment.

The G4 is a 733 mHz; I'm running Photoshop, Illustrator, full Office, audio and video conversion/editing apps, plus a *cough* torrent of other internet-related apps. It has a 40GB drive, and the 160GB external I was using for backup fried itself out recently.

I'm a sad panda.

Ishcabittle

That's not a bad G4, not bad at all. That MHz speed puts it around 2001 - the Digital Audio model. Considering that CS hasn't been upgraded to Universal, you'll probably get just as good speeds outta that machine than you would out of a MacPro.

If that machine is running Tiger (hopefully) you'll get better performance if you close of all your Widgets, and keep your high-RAM usage apps down to one or two at a time. Don't run Azureus while you're running your CS or Office apps, that guy's a real resource hog.

It'll do for now, anyway.

RobL

From 2003, and it just died? Wow. Maybe my Gateway isn't a POJ after all. Had it since 2000, or some such. Still got WINME on it even.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Yeah, it's not like the G4 is a liability or anything, and it holds the record for the longest I've ever had a trouble-free machine (you're right about 2001). I've only got it updated to 10.3.9 because I rarely use it anymore and I'm a cheapie.

I've been considering using my money to get a totally tripped-out Mac notebook and running Windows that way, rather than buying 2 new machines. But other than being compatible with the rare Mac-only client, I'm wondering what I would need the Mac side for anymore...which makes me sad, because I started out a total Mac-o-phile back in the day.
Ishcabittle said:
Don't run Azureus while you're running your CS or Office apps, that guy's a real resource hog.
BitTorrent, actually. And yes, it drags things down to a snail's pace.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
RobL said:
From 2003, and it just died? Wow. Maybe my Gateway isn't a POJ after all. Had it since 2000, or some such. Still got WINME on it even.
WinME? What do you use it for besides surfing and solitaire?

RobL

Eggs Mayonnaise said:
WinME? What do you use it for besides surfing and solitaire?

Sometimes word processing.

My new notebook (year old) has XP, though. But I still use the old beast when I dont' want to bring the notebook downstairs or out of its case.