It's here! It's here!

Friday

Bazinga!
I'm typing this on my new 15.4 in, 2.33 gh, 120 gb MacBook Pro. It's a thing of beauty. I think I'll marry it.

Sigh....

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Congratulations!

Does it have that great new computer smell?

Friday

Bazinga!
Why, yes, yes it does.

But I can't get it to recognize my external hard drive. Any ideas?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Was it connected to another Mac previously?

If it's a new drive, it may have to be formatted first. Either way, you may want to pop in the CD that came with it to make sure the driver/extension file is loaded.

Friday

Bazinga!
I transferred files from my old Mac to my new one, and voila, problem solved.

So far.

How do I import my old Firefox bookmarks onto my new computer?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
In the old comp's Firefox, export your bookmarks to an HTML file.

Copy it to the new comp and import the bookmarks into FF.

Friday

Bazinga!
Remember who you're talking to here.

How do I export something to an HTML file? I need step by step instructions.

I know. I'm a computer idiot. But I'm a *lovable* computer idiot. ;)

Friday

Bazinga!
That worked! WOOT! Many, many thanks! :D

Lovin' my new computer! Just the iSight camera alone is awesome. Could there be a YouTube video in Friday's future? Maybe...

And fast! Damn, this thing is four times as fast as my old iBook 512 mb g4, with 3 times the HD space.

Although my external HD just stopped copying music files onto the iTunes and I don't know why. Must investigate...

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Friday said:
Why, yes, yes it does.

But I can't get it to recognize my external hard drive. Any ideas?

Top Ten Ways to Get Friday's Mac to recognize her external Hard Drive:

10. Introduce them formally through mutual friends.

9. Make neat, easy to read name tags for the hard drive and other new electronic guests.

8. Invite the hard drive to an ice cream social and set its place right next to where the Mac will be sitting.

7. E-mail the external hard drive a link to the Mac's MySpace page.

6. Dress the hard drive in suggestive, flirty clothing.

5. Be a complete jerk to the hard drive, inspiring the Mac to come to its defense.

4. Buy a bottle of fine wine and some imported cheeses and a book of romantic poetry written entirely in binary code.

3. Tell the Mac to shave. This isn't the 70's any more.

2. Bring both the Mac and the hard drive to dinner with you, then suddenly excuse yourself for an "important appointment".

1. Lock them both in your closet and let nature take its course.

Friday

Bazinga!
Um.

While downloading my music onto iTunes, it stopped, so I force quit.

That was about 15 minutes ago, and the iTunes icon still has that little black arrow pointing towards it, saying it's open. But when I click on it, *nothing* happens.

Did I break my computer already? :(

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Try hitting Opt-Cmd-Esc (or Opt-"apple"-Esc) to bring up the Force Quit menu, and see if you can shut it down thst way.

If not, you might have to kill it and restart.

Friday

Bazinga!
Okay, I've restarted the computer, reset iTunes, and am attempting to import my music for the third time.

Another issue...fans and overheating. I know this has been a problem with MacBook Pros, and my temp is currently 132.8º F, with 2730 rpms. It's gotten up to 3400. What are the safe parameters? When should I worry that the fan is a problem?

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Friday said:
I'm typing this on my new 15.4 in, 2.33 gh, 120 gb MacBook Pro. It's a thing of beauty. I think I'll marry it.

Sigh....

Did you get the one with the jacuzzi jets??

Friday

Bazinga!
Colonel Kira's Left Tit said:
132.8F = 56C, which isn't extremely high for most modern processors, particularly in a laptop. Temperature should vary depending on what you're doing, the ambient temperature, etc.

What processor is in there, btw?
It's a Core 2 Duo, which means it does a helluva lot more than I'll be able to deal with.

I think I can do Windows stuff on here, too, but I've never done Windows stuff, so :shrug: .

I bought it for the video capabilities, and the SPEED. I do want to get into making videos, and DVDs (which I couldn't do on my last computer. I could watch them, but not make them).

I unhooked my external HD because it was going wonky while attached. As soon as I unattached it, it calmed down. Maybe I need to reformat or something?

Jack...I think the jacuzzi jets are in the mail. Shit, they might as well be. :D

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
How old is your external drive? Is it FireWire or USB?

If USB, is it USB2 or the older, slower USB1?

Friday

Bazinga!
It's FireWire, and about two and a half years old.

It's a Seagate 300gig model.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Then I got nuthin. :D