Mr Rogers

Mirah

I love you
Specifically:
Tom Hanks as Mr Rogers

I've been hearing everyone say how perfect it is, and how wonderfully he played Mr Rogers. I made the mistake of watching some Mr Rogers programming before watching "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood".
I like both Tom Hanks and Mr Rogers, but as I'm watching this movie I'm not falling in to the "I forgot it was Tom Hanks camp" I'm not buying it! Plus his description of it on the Jimmy Fallon show was sort of blase, but maybe he is just playing humble.

The Question

Eternal
I like both Tom Hanks and Mr Rogers, but as I'm watching this movie I'm not falling in to the "I forgot it was Tom Hanks camp" I'm not buying it!

Shit, I don't even buy Tom Hanks as Tom Hanks anymore.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I agree Mirah, all I saw on screen was Tom Hanks pretending he was Mr. Rogers. It didn't make the movie terrible, although it's far from perfect, but there are so many other actors they could have cast that wouldn't have been as distracting.

The Question

Eternal
That's where I'm torn. I don't know of any actor who could have done a better job even if I don't think Tom Hanks didn't do a good job.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Fred Armisen is almost a ringer for Rogers. The only obstacle would be people being able to take him seriously because his main shtick is making comic characters & caricatures.

Or maybe Tobey McGuire, or Edward Norton, or Jim Parsons, or Vincent Kartheiser (Pete on Mad Men), or Matthew Broderick...