Ms. Marvel

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I liked the second ep better than the first! Probably because we're getting into the story.

I'm a bit worried about it going more conventional superhero as I've enjoyed the family, school and community stuff so much.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Yeah, I like the family stuff a lot! I want to find out more about her great grandmother.

CaptainWacky

Good episode again, but Kamran's mum going from being nice to attacking a wedding happened way too fast. (I guess she knew Kamala wouldn't help once did her own research and found out the bangles would make things explode?) The family stuff remains the best part and the wedding was fun!

It's weird that some people are apparently angry Kamala isn't an inhuman. I didn't think people cared about inhumans.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I guess Kamran's mom is evil so it didn't take much for her to get all murdery? I DON'T KNOW.

I love the family stuff too. I also love that kind of mythology, even though i don't know much about it.

CaptainWacky

Also the arm they showed at the start looked a lot like a Kree arm and the symbols on the floor were the ten rings from Shang-Chi (which also involves mystical creatures from another dimension connected to Earth) so they're leaving enough STUFF in that THE FANS can fanwank what they want.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I so wanted them to be dier wraiths but I guess until Disney buys a few more companies ROM is a no-no.

Just because they haven't said she is inhuman yet doesn't mean she won't be.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Episode with no Kamala's dad turns out to be not as good as the rest?

CaptainWacky

They really need more than six episodes for this. This one was all in Pakistan and I assume next week's will be, which means we only get one more in Jersey City with Bruno, Naika, Kamala's dad, etc and that's not enough because that stuff's the best part.

The chase/fight scene at the end was really frantically edited in an obvious budget disguising way, and I wonder at what point I'll stop assuming this type of thing is coivd rather than just Disney being cheap.

The super max prison wasn't very super max.

But I still like it!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
The fight scene at the end reminded me of Prince of Persia!

I thought it was all fun. I guess next week she will learn more about her great grandma and then probably go home.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Oh I liked the great grandma story.

CaptainWacky

The clandestins are just so lame and confusing as villains. The EVIL LADY suddenly decided she loved her son really just because Kamala said her name and that made her...die? For some reason? Like I guess she had to sacrifice herself to close the portal but it all happened so fast I didn't even know what was going on.

And now there's only one episode left! I wish the whole season had just been like the first two episodes in Jersey City with the characters being cool and the fun visuals.

Kamran and Bruno making friends was nice but Kamran's now obviously going to turn evil and blame Kamala for killing his mom just so she has someone to fight in the finale.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Great last episode, it should go without saying, but there is a post credit scene.

CaptainWacky

Yeah, it was much more inline with the first two episodes. It was nice everyone was so supportive and nice to Kamala and she got to embiggen (kind of) and do a lot of big fisting. The scene with her dad at the end was really sweet. The Kamran stuff was much better than I feared as he never went full evil or anything, just got a bit angry and lost control of his powers. Zoe's face turn would have worked better if they'd actually shown her being mean more (she made like one bitchy comment to Kamala in the first episode?) but it feels like they're sticking with how she ends up in the comic (spoilers) so that's nice.

So if Kamala and Carol have swapped places, The Marvels is going to start with KAMALA IN SPACE which should be fun.

OVERALL I liked the show: Iman Vellani was great and all the (Jersey City anyway) supporting characters were fun and felt a bit more real than usual for the MCU. But like all the Disney+ shows they really haven't worked out the pacing yet. It's not a regular tv show, having only six episodes, but it's not quite a four hour movie either. It's something weird in between and the Pakistan two parter didn't really work. Clandestine seemed completely tacked on and lame, like they were forced to include a world-ending threat but didn't know how to execute it within the framework of this show. I wish they'd just do it like a regular tv show with more episodes and more time for everything to breathe, but I guess the Disney+ strategy is to do as many six episodes "shows" with as many different characters as possible to keep the most subscribers sticking around.

Last edited:

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah this series really needed to just be set in New Jersey. I didn't mind the Pakistan episodes on their own but they really killed the excellent pace the show had up until then. Especially since a lot of it was a load of exposition for stuff that had no affect on the finale anyway.

This series also suffered from what a lot of superhero shows like to do now, which is delay having the actual superhero in costume doing proper superhero stuff until the very last episode. If she had become Ms. Marvel in, like, episode three, then two episodes of her Ms. Marvelling, then the finale, that would have worked better. As it stands it does kind of feel like 6 hours of set-up for a film that's yet to be released (but which Marvel definitely wants you to see!).

But everything else was good! The characters and casting were really good! I don't think the stretchy powers would have looked any weirder than the glowy powers!!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
This was a very fun series. I didn't mind the Pakistan episodes, but I suppose with only 6 episodes they did take up a lot of time. I loved the second one.

The DODC were even lamer than Clandestine, imo.

Does the mid credits scene mean there won't be another season, and it's all going to be in a movie?

whisky

Boobie inspector
I've not times this or anything, but I reckon Ms marvel has more screen time than Captain marvel at this point.

CaptainWacky

I didn't mind the DODC being thinly written villains because they're just asshole govenment goons acting the way they do in super hero shows. Maybe they could have given the one who went rogue a bit more motivation to explain why she did that, but really "she's racist" was probably enough of an explanation.
Does the mid credits scene mean there won't be another season, and it's all going to be in a movie?

Kamala will next appear in the movie The Marvels with Brie Larson as Carol Danvers (and Monica from Wandavision.) In a year. So hopefully we get a season two in 2024.

The head writer says they had to cut a lot of background for the Clandestines and Red Daggers because of time and covid constraints: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/ms-marvel-finale-kamala-khan-mutants-captain-marvel-1235316482/

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I really liked Kamala's new costume, and it is very sweet that her mom got it for her.

MODMAN

This didn't grab my attention and I had no intention of watching (haven't seen this, Moon Knight or Hawkeye), but I thought 'what the hell' so half-heartedly started watching.

I am 20 minutes into the first episode after two attempts. I will try a third time later. Hopefully it becomes watchable once the plot gets going; right now it's just irritating with young person clichés / tropes.