Music for Writers

The Question

Eternal
So, do you listen to background music while you write? If so, what is it?

For me, right this minute, I've got a playlist of James Darren, composer Bill Brown and Mel Torme stuff goin'. :)

Neil

Out of the closet
Depends on what I'm trying to accomplish, but, yes; always.

I can't write with TV/movies on in the background, however, but I can sometimes draw better that way.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Absolutely. I like moving classicals, like Stravinksy's Rite of Spring or Firebird Suite. Also Xena soundtracks, and hard-core metal.

Mandi

Depends.....whenever I try to work on my vampire story it's always rock, NIN, Queen of the Damned and Underworld Soundtracks, and a bunch of other stuff...just depends on what i'm trying to write

The Question

Eternal
^^Absolutely -- something themed right can sometimes be just what the doctor ordered. I'm fascinated that industrial music can be useful, though. I understand it's a very subjective thing, but I'm impressed that you can make headway, Mandi, when listening to such music as Nine Inch Nails. I know I couldn't, it'd kill my ability to focus.

Neil

Out of the closet
I have created a soundtrack to an outline for a story I've been developing. I enjoy popping that in and being transported to that place, to help inspire that world.

But, that's mostly for the brainstorming work, where you just get swept up in it all. I'm worth half a shit on the technical side, though, if I allow myself to get distracted by it.

BitchSlapSmitty

David Hasselhoff, all the time. All the inspiration.