NON MOVIE Tolkien discussion

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Peter Jackson looked at the first one and said "needs to be three times longer!" lol omg.

kaonashi.shinu

Keeper of the Nether Eye
Along the same lines of Tolkien inspired art, there is this amazing sculptor whom I wish I had enough expendable cash to purchase one of his masterpieces:

8374.imgcache.jpg

8375.imgcache.jpg

These are just two of many - artist site here

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
^love the little Hobbit door in the background.
OTOH, somehow I wouldn't think the heads on his belt would have smiles.....

Enkephalen

My Stars!
I came to this thread late, but read the Neil Gaiman speech and was struck by this:

Tolkien’s words and sentences seemed like natural things, like rock formations or waterfalls, and wanting to write like Tolkien would have been, for me, like wanting to blossom like a cherry tree or climb a tree like a squirrel or rain like a thunderstorm. Chesterton was the complete opposite. I was always aware, reading Chesterton, that there was someone writing this who rejoiced in words, who deployed them on the page as an artist deploys his paints upon his palette. Behind every Chesterton sentence there was someone painting with words, and it seemed to me that at the end of any particularly good sentence or any perfectly-put paradox, you could hear the author, somewhere behind the scenes, giggling with delight.

Yes, absolutely!

CaptainWacky

I guess I should read Chesterton then?

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I'm reading "The Man Who Was Thursday" at the moment. It's OK, but feels dated in it's premise. The writing is very good.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
I will occasionally sneak off by myself and read some Father Brown stories...you wouldnt think a heathen like me would enjoy the stories (Chesterton was a devote Catholic) but they are wonderfully written and there's a poignancy to them that still melts my heart.

CaptainWacky

I don't suppose anyone's read the History Of Middle Earth books...

kaonashi.shinu

Keeper of the Nether Eye
Not yet. It's definitely on my list of things to read this year.

CaptainWacky

They're intersting. You don't have to read every word (and there's certainly a lot of repetition with just minor variations) but there's a lot of interesting stuff in there. I really wish Tolkien had finished The Lay of Leithian (the incomplete poem is in HOME 3.)

CaptainWacky

I'm reading The Road To Middle Earth by Tom Shippey at the moment and it's really good. SO THERE.

CaptainWacky

They turned down Maggot's Lane, rattling and bumping, Tom in the farmer's cart dancing round and jumping. Star shone on Bamfurlong, and Maggot's house was lighted; fire in he kitched burned to welcome the benighted. Maggot's sons bowed at door, his daughters did their curtsey. his wife brought tankards for those that might be thirsty. Songs they had and merry tales, the supping and the dancing; Goodman Maggot there for all his belt was prancing. Tom did a hornpipe when he was no quaffing, daughters did the Springle-ring, goodwife did the laughing.

CaptainWacky

I got Fall of Gondolin even though there's nothing in it that isn't in the History of Middle Earth books (that I already own) just because.