NVidia + Vista = BSOD

Tyrant

IN WHAT SEEMS to be an ongoing, painful battle, Nvidia is still lagging heavily on driver support for the new shiny Vista OS. A recent email summed it up: "OK, well thousands of people are fed up about their lack of working drivers for Vista. You need to post something about this. I have had so many Bluescreens and the last ones I have are as follows: Minidumps point to: NVSTOR.SYS- Nvidia driver
NVMFDX32.SYS- Nvidia sound driver
NVLDDMKM.SYS- Nvidia driver
SiWinAcc.sys- SATAlink Driver Accelerator all NVIDIA ..." Well, either Vista does not like the letters NV in any of the driver files, or perhaps NV has a real problem on their hands.

It has been widely reported that Nvidia drivers are quite buggy, and Nvidia themselves have a special area to deal with Vista bugs.
Nothing quite like testing a product before release. We here at the Inq can understand why Nvidia is having issues seeing as how Vista was sprung on all the vendors and there was virtually no notice that this product was coming to market, so we sympathize with their plight. As identifying what causes a bug can be difficult to the end user, we would like to suggest that Microsoft release a patch which, upon failure of an NV driver, returns a green screen of death for easier identification of the problem. I think this would alleviate some of the uncertainty surrounding the error process and also reduce some of the negative connotations attached to BSOD. GSOD is much less threatening and, depending on the shade of green selected, could be calming. Royalty cheques for this idea can be sent c/o The INQ.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38667

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Nvidia suck. Vista wasn't sprung on them at all. The Beta's have been out for years and no doubt Nvidia had access to Alpha builds as well. They just screwed up when it came to delivering on time. Their drivers have been abysmal for Vista (though we're finally looking at solid WHQL builds now) but it's all Nvidias fault. ATI managed to sort their drivers out in time.

I had some annoying problems with the 9xx series of drivers and the early 100xx series but the latest ones I'm running now seem to be far better though still no overclock feature. I have to run an ATI tool to overclock my Nvidia card :roll: