off duty cops can smoke weed....discuss

blackfoot NAP

King Of Bling
Off Duty New Jersey Cops Can Smoke Weed Off Duty

With legalized marijuana finally arriving this Thursday in New Jersey, it has been announced that cops will be able to smoke weed as long as they’re off duty. That’s right, the same police officers that have spent their careers locking New Jerseyans up for pot can smoke it when they’re not working.

That comes after a memo by New Jersey Acting Attorney General Matt Platkin gave the green light for law enforcement officers to toke up. Platkin’s memo to police chiefs reminded them that departments may not take action against officers who choose to smoke marijuana on their own time.

discuss

blackfoot NAP

King Of Bling
Map Of Marijuana Legality By State
This marijuana legalization map clearly defines the laws in each state and remains up-to-date with the latest changes on a monthly basis.

Photo of dried marijuana and joints.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom

Jersey City mayor: Cops who use marijuana, even off duty, will be fired​

Updated: Apr. 20, 2022, 4:54 p.m. | Published: Apr. 20, 2022, 11:57 a.m.

FPOTXLXH35BTZO2W56ME4SPZCI.JPG

Jersey City police officers will be fired if they use marijuana, even while off duty, Mayor Steve Fulop said Wednesday morning.

On Friday, the state’s Acting Attorney General Matthew Platkin in a memo said police officers who are off-duty in New Jersey are allowed to consume cannabis and should not face disciplinary action.

Perhaps not so coincidentally, Fulop made his declaration disagreeing with the state’s position on April 20, or 4/20, the unofficial national day to celebrate all things marijuana. The mayor said a directive will be issued Wednesday to the city’s nearly 1,000 police officers that marijuana use “will not be permitted” as the city “will pursue termination.”

“The fact is that all of the officers/recruits attest to the federal government via (Department of Justice) + (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) paperwork when they receive their firearms that they will not use any federal prohibited drugs including marijuana,” Fulop said in a tweet. “New Jersey’s policies allowing law enforcement to smoke is an outlier nationally and one that will put our officers + community at risk with impaired judgment.”

Later Wednesday Bayonne Mayor Jimmy Davis joined Fulop’s stance against police officers’ use of marijuana, saying “As a retired police officer myself, I know that sworn law enforcement officers must be held to a higher standard and I believe that allowing marijuana use by off-duty personnel would lead to lawsuits that would endanger both taxpayers and public safety by making it harder to win criminal convictions.

Fulop in his tweets said alcohol usage can be tracked through tests and “timelines that can create clear protection between consumption + duty.”

“It would be irresponsible to allow officers to work with w/impaired judgment,” Fulop said. “It will only take one blood test after a car crash or discharged weapon where an officer tests positive for trust to erode.”

Sales for recreational weed begin Thursday for the first time since voters approved allowing the regulated sale of cannabis products to people 21 and older in November 2020.

Jersey City police union President Joe Cossolini said the mayor’s position on off-duty usage is “a disturbing and problematic message to send the public and constituents, many of whom are police officers.”

”I believe the entire state of New Jersey should pay close attention to this blatant disregard for the legislative process and the rule of law,” Cossolini said Wednesday. “This law was enacted 14 months ago; yet, Mayor Fulop has now decided that he does not want to follow the law of this state but wants Jersey City to make up its own.

”Supposedly, police officers are held to a higher standard, but Mayor Fulop does not think they are capable of making responsible decisions during their own recreation time.”

Gov. Phil Murphy said he is “open-minded” to barring New Jersey police officers from getting high while they’re off duty.

“There’s no allowing anybody to show up impaired, whether you’re drinking or whether you’ve smoked weed,” Murphy said. “Anybody who shows up impaired would be dealt with aggressively.

“Would I be open-minded to a legislative fix that would address this? The answer is yes.”

Fulop has long supported the legalization of marijuana in the state. During his tenure, Jersey City became the first city in the state to decriminalize marijuana before it was legalized.

But Fulop said the trust between the community and “the police is fragile.”

Davis echoed Fulop’s point that current testing cannot determine when someone was under the influence of marijuana, “making it impossible for police officers to prove that their use occurred when off duty.”

“This is an unnecessary complication to an already difficult job and I would support a legislative solution to close this loophole and make it 100% clear that as long as marijuana remains classified by the federal government as an illegal drug, we cannot have police officers using it.”

For the record; I have been a staunch supporter of legalization and we have made Jersey City the most flexible with regards to legalization for our community, but responsible protections for our officer and community is important,” Fulop said Wednesday.

jack

Guess your headline for this thread is pretty misleading.

blackfoot NAP

King Of Bling
cops are like regular peoples. i'm sure some of them smoke weed on and off the job, being that marijuana is legal in most states.

what's the difference between drinking alcohol or smoking a bowl or two?

jack

Nothing. What's your point?

blackfoot NAP

King Of Bling
police get drunk. police get high. police abuse illegal drugs like everyone else.

blackfoot NAP

King Of Bling
2 more woodstock officers fired for suspected drug use: Police
Dylan Cotter, Michael Smart and another officer, who is appealing the decision and was not identified, have been fired from the department, Public Information Officer Brittany Page told the Cherokee Tribune & Ledger News. The officers were allegedly using cocaine, the article said.

jack

jack

2 more woodstock officers fired for suspected drug use: Police
Dylan Cotter, Michael Smart and another officer, who is appealing the decision and was not identified, have been fired from the department, Public Information Officer Brittany Page told the Cherokee Tribune & Ledger News. The officers were allegedly using cocaine, the article said.

So what's the point of this thread, Wilson? If you get caught using cocaine at any job you get fired. Your headline is about pot. Plus who wants a wired cop arresting you? Not me. A stoned one would be kind of funny. I smoke pot every evening for example, but am not "stoned" during the day.

What's the "discussion"?? Cops can drink alcohol after shift and the consideration is they also be allowed to use cannabis off duty. That consideration is occurring because it appears that NJ legalized weed.

Care to comment about that?

jack

So...you DONT want to "discuss" anything. Everything you do is a failed troll.

Copypasta for discussion?

Nope. :bigass:

DevilMan

Still in Mom's basement
This thread was funny, in that very sad way.