one week to iphone madness

Ishcabittle

so... i'm getting one. basically for work - being a mac consultant i get the ACN discount - so it's a write-off. but i am kinda excited.

it's funny... go to slashdot and check out the hype backlash. everybody there hates 'em simply out of spite. it's awesome.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Apparently Cingular-AT&T had to hire an extra 2000 people just to manage the anticipated onslaught of service orders when they are released.

Pfft. I ain't buyin' no $500 cellphone thingy. I have my LG phone. I have my 60GB video iPod. And I have 2 pockets to keep each in.

Besides, nobody should buy the first release. Always wait for the de-buggified version 6 months afterwards...

speck

Eggs Mayonnaise said:
Apparently Cingular-AT&T had to hire an extra 2000 people just to manage the anticipated onslaught of service orders when they are released.

Pfft. I ain't buyin' no $500 cellphone thingy. I have my LG phone. I have my 60GB video iPod. And I have 2 pockets to keep each in.

Besides, nobody should buy the first release. Always wait for the de-buggified version 6 months afterwards...

agreed

agreed,

I don't think I'll ever get over the , "so many uses I don't know how to use it" factor.

Anna

missmanners' favorite toy
More overpriced gadgetry from Apple :roll:

I got a cell phone that works fine. I can but an iPod that works just as well and get the accessories to go along with it (I bought a blue-colored iBoom Box thing on clearance that my local Target had been selling for about four or five months for 99 bucks. With my employee discount, I was able to pay only 45!).

iPass.

Ishcabittle

roger that, everyone. those were the sentiments i was expecting. i'm personally going to get one so i can support all of the less intelligent customers that absolutely need one "for email and junk".

funny how you mention pocket management, eggs. normally i carry my ipod and treo in the left front pocket - i'm hoping that consolidating those two devices is worth the $500. oh, and cover flow omg lol.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
It all comes down to power. If the thing can still stay charged for more than a day while I'm using it for all these great things, then maybe it's worth it. If not, it's not.

I'll get one in a few months after all this crap cools down. People are already talking about camping out.

Losers.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I'm never that hyped over Apple products though the iPhone does look purdy. I'm still not going to throw $500 at one though. And I'm a little surprised that they're still using 2G technology.

I might just get one some time next year though..

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
This thread solved my problem, a client came to me and asked what the biggest super hyped electrical item will be this Christmas, and what should he buy 500 off to give away as prizes.

That's 501 she'll be buying then LOL

Ishcabittle

so, reportedly, total talk time is eight hours, with over ten days of standby (if no features are used). seven hours video (three better than the 4G iPod) and seven hours internet. twenty four hours music playback time.

so it has more talk time than my treo, more music/video playback time than my iPod by a long shot, i think the battery is solid. now apple, and i know this from experience, will underestimate their battery times to play it safe. just about every rundown test on an ipod will produce battery life results over what was predicted by apple.

i'm not saying it's going to live up to any crazy hype, but it's going to be way better than my current phone, that's for damn sure.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I'd like to see a multi-function test where the device is being used in a real-world situation, after all they want the device to be fully utilized or else there's no point in it replacing other devices:

Leave the house, play some music. Get a call. Send an email after the call. Hit the subway and watch video. Get out of the subway and make another call. Play more music while waiting in line at the DMV for a half-hour. Play a game. Check email again. Surf the web to take advantage of a sale from an email. Hit the train again. More music.

Then come home and see how much power is left.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
^ That would be what I would be interested in seeing as well. Apple also has said that there will be a newer model released with 3G and possibly some other features (it's inevitable) so I am definitley going to hold back for a good while before I think about getting one.

I do think that the iPhone is going to be a major success for Apple though.

And also wouldn't it be feasible that you would be able to pick up an iPhone for a massivley cut down price if you're on contract like you can with other high-end phones already? I mean, I paid 15 euros for my 200 euro Motorola.

And then cheekily downsized my contract which pissed Vodafone off :D

ctmelvital

more cookies please?
No way am I buying an iPhone. I'll get a new phone in about October - whatever free phone I can get (or maybe I'll pay a little extra if it's really cool but I can guarantee you it won't be an iPhone). Don't like their computers, don't like their notebooks, don't like their mp3-players and I don't like their phone. :gagh:

Crosis

I do want one...it's purdy....

But I don't know yet if it is worth the cost. I'll wait to see what general reaction to it is first.

Ishcabittle

ctmelvital said:
No way am I buying an iPhone. I'll get a new phone in about October - whatever free phone I can get (or maybe I'll pay a little extra if it's really cool but I can guarantee you it won't be an iPhone). Don't like their computers, don't like their notebooks, don't like their mp3-players and I don't like their phone. :gagh:

so i won't have to shove past you in line? sweet. one less ass to kick, that's cool.

chucklemeister

Loveable fuzzball!
I already have a cell phone that works fine, along with a separate mp3 player. Yeah I'm a cheap bastard who didn't even go for the Ipod. I have a Sandisk mp3 player that works just fine and I paid a lot less for it than an Ipod.

I don't need fancy toys to impress anybody.

guldulac

I'm not wearing any panties!!
The only justification for I-Pod is I-Tunes. I'd assume the phone is going to similarly only matter in conjunction with a proprietary app.

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
I just love the idea of the iPhone but I have so much to learn about the gadgets I already own I can't even imagine incorperating that into my life.

I'm going to just wait and see.