Ongoing Battlestar Galactica thread of doom.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Caprica Sharon should've wound up with the callsign "Toaster" or "Pop Tart" or something instead of "Athena."

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Ya know, I'm not a huge fan of the old show. I saw it growing up and shit, but Ron Moore et al did a pretty good job of tearing things out of it and reworking it for a more realistic tone. All of it is there in one form or another, the apocalypse, the running, the Pegasus, the Ship of Lights/Angels, etc.

Wait, the ship of lights was in Nu-BSG? Where was this?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
He does military real good too. Crashdown's 5 paragraph order mission brief, complete with terrain model just about gave me PTSD to USMC The Basic School.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
He does military real good too. Crashdown's 5 paragraph order mission brief, complete with terrain model just about gave me PTSD to USMC The Basic School.

My wife said the whole show was eerily like modern aircraft carrier life.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Caprica Sharon should've wound up with the callsign "Toaster" or "Pop Tart" or something instead of "Athena."
"RealDoll"

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
So I'm done. I had things to do today, but my 2nd episode last night was "Pegasus" and that meant I was stuck for 3 hours, because you can't just walk away from those "TO BE CONTINUED..." s when you can just click "Next up..." Tonight was "Epiphanies" and "Razor." I'll probably watch "The Plan," although I don't feel obligated.

Anyways, "Razor." Really, the only thing I wanted to mention was when we see the flashback to LT Bill Adama, the critical logical part of my brain wanted to see what they did with the flight suit; see if they were as cheap and lazy as the Bermaga was in TNG by just leaving the turtlenecks off the movie uniforms for flashback episodes. They changed the wrist and boot cuffs. And OMIGOD they did a vest that was a nod to the uniform from the 1978 series. Well done. Good work redressing costumes to keep cost down but actually wank the fans.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Oh, and Baltar really has shitty, shitty judgement. Especially after seeing Gina in "Razor." "Hi, I'm Gaius Baltar. I just about wiped out the human race because I was thinking with my dick. What's that? You've got a murderous Cylon spy? Let me distract a guard so she can break his neck, give her the dead guard's gun, let her murder the ranking military commander, smuggle her of the ship and then, because that doesn't seem enough, give her 1 of 5 nukes the ship has. To blow up. And wipe out a key ship. And signal the Cylons to our colony."

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm caught up. I mean, minus the Webisodes, "Blood & Chrome," "Caprica," etc. Hadn't, um, planned to watch "The Plan." Because it sounded like it was just "Waiting for Godot" with Dean Stockwell in both the roles--which wouldn't be bad, but not really an essential part of the mythos. Decided I might as well catch it and I'm really glad I did. I don't know how much was extra footage that they didn't have time for in the original series but it was really neat to see the various loose ends tied up. And the post-hypnotic device for Boomer was pretty cool. All in all, a fun time.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
I'm caught up. I mean, minus the Webisodes, "Blood & Chrome," "Caprica," etc. Hadn't, um, planned to watch "The Plan." Because it sounded like it was just "Waiting for Godot" with Dean Stockwell in both the roles--which wouldn't be bad, but not really an essential part of the mythos. Decided I might as well catch it and I'm really glad I did. I don't know how much was extra footage that they didn't have time for in the original series but it was really neat to see the various loose ends tied up. And the post-hypnotic device for Boomer was pretty cool. All in all, a fun time.

Also, for what it's worth Blood & Chrome is kind of a nice one off thing, although with excessive lens flare and the digital sets really put me out of it. Caprica? Well you either love it or you hate it, there doesn't seem to be much neutral ground there. I liked it quite a lot, though it's an entirely different thing than BSG itself. It does take awhile to get going, but the cast is pretty great as is the story, and since it's only 15 episodes or whatever it's not much of a time investment. Definitely picks up toward the end and could have been great with a few more seasons.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
The one long fight scene in Blood & Chrome was really good, if I receally correctly. Caprica does get a lot better as it goes along. Maybe suffers from a lack of "good guy" characters.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Tonight was the one where Head Cavil helps Sam, who's leaped into the body of an Earth starship captain, get along with his Vulcan science officer.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Ooh. And Chief Tyrol is hands down the most tragic character in fiction. Forget MacBeth, forget Oedipus. Forget them all.

Here's a schlub who's got an OK gig in the military. His biggest worry is that he's having a romance with a senior officer. Then his entire culture is nearly wiped out by homicidal robots. THEN he finds out his officer girlfriend IS a homicidal robot. Then she gets killed by his future wife, who has his bastard son by another man. The robots catch up with them a bit and they have to fight a terrorist jihad before his wife gets killed. Next he finds out he is also a robot and that his also-robot ex-girlfriend from thousands of years ago murdered his wife.

Oh, and then there's the love triangle with another officer and a copy of his sleeper agent robot ex-girlfriend who was killed by his dead wife--and is having the other officer's kid.

Chief really should've done the swan dive from the balcony with all that laid on him. Oh, and finding "Earth", only to find out it is uninhabitable because of a nuclear war thousands of years ago--when he lived there.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
Ooh. And Chief Tyrol is hands down the most tragic character in fiction. Forget MacBeth, forget Oedipus. Forget them all.

Here's a schlub who's got an OK gig in the military. His biggest worry is that he's having a romance with a senior officer. Then his entire culture is nearly wiped out by homicidal robots. THEN he finds out his officer girlfriend IS a homicidal robot. Then she gets killed by his future wife, who has his bastard son by another man. The robots catch up with them a bit and they have to fight a terrorist jihad before his wife gets killed. Next he finds out he is also a robot and that his also-robot ex-girlfriend from thousands of years ago murdered his wife.

Oh, and then there's the love triangle with another officer and a copy of his sleeper agent robot ex-girlfriend who was killed by his dead wife--and is having the other officer's kid.

Chief really should've done the swan dive from the balcony with all that laid on him. Oh, and finding "Earth", only to find out it is uninhabitable because of a nuclear war thousands of years ago--when he lived there.

I like the "this is my life now" screed he goes on against Bill when they're sitting in a bar after Cally got knocked out a flight tube. Pretty powerful stuff.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I like the "this is my life now" screed he goes on against Bill when they're sitting in a bar after Cally got knocked out a flight tube. Pretty powerful stuff.
That is one of the strong points of the show, innit? When, whether consciously or subconsciously, a character pokes another character with a stick to try to get them to punish them for their sins. Tyrol going off on Adama, Adama taunting Tigh...