sampled tv shows

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
TV shows I'm trying out, have watched more that one episode but not a whole season. My brother in law signed my tv into his Apple TV+ account at Christmas so they're mostly from that.

A Teacher - This was on the BBC though. Kate Mara plays a teacher who has an affair with a student. It's very well done, showing you how she got to that point (while not really being sympathetic towards her.) The boy's character is very well acted too. Possibly could make you angry though as the main character is a pretty bad person who (so far) hasn't shown much remorse for what she's doing. Good drama!

Dickinson - Hailee Steinfeld plays Emily Dickinson in one of those historic shows where people talk like they're from the modern day. It is good. Steinfeld is excellent and the supporting cast are all very good too (Robert PIcardo is a recurring character if you care about tenuous Star Trek connections!) But it's something I'm fine with watching slowly as it's pretty low stakes. Most episodes will just have Emily running up against the restrictions a woman in 1850s America would face...and nothing can really change by the end because it's still set in 1850s America. So it's not something where I desperately feel I need to see the next epsidoe. Good show though!

Ted Lasso - Jason Sudeikis plays an American football coach who is brought over to the UK to manage a British football ("soccer") team despite knowing nothing of the sport. It makes more sense in the show! This is...shockingly good. Like really really good. If you know me you know I don't care about football (any type) and yet that doesn't put me off the show at all. It's so well written with such convincing characters that it just doesn't matter what the setting is (but the setting is done very well, as best I can tell!) It's funny, yes, but the key is how sincere it is about its emotions. It's really heartfelt but not in an annoying way. Trust me, it's good, strongly recommended.

Mystic Quest: Raven's Banquet - Comedy about the creation of a MMO game. Like Lasso I think all the small details are done well, even though again I'm not an expect on the subject matter (though Iknow more about it than football obviously lol) It's pretty good. I haven't watched as many episodes as the other things, but it's a solid show. It doesn't have the heart of Ted Lasso but it's reasonably funny and the cast are good (the Australian girl is the standout. Danny Pudi is in it if you like him but he hasn't had a huge amount to do a few episodes in.) Probably not a high priority watch but a perfectly acceptable time filling show as far as I can tell.

All four worth watching I'm clearly good at sampling tv shows.

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

Mystic Quest does get more heart so it goes along and the special pandemic episode was actually great and geninely very emotional? It gave even the most one dimensional character a bit of humanity.

Ted Lasso almost gets a bit too nice at times. It's weird, since I just praised it above for how nice and uncynical it is. And I do like it for that and it is a good show. But sometimes the main character reacts in ways that are a bit too far, maybe. It's definitely still recommended!

For All Mankind - Ron Moore show about an alternate history where Russia beat American to the moon. I haven't watched much yet but it's very good. Really makes you want to be an astronaut in the sixties. They should let this "Ron Moore" guy write Star Trek?

Last edited:

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
For All Mankind looks amazing. I watched the season 2 trailer earlier (even tho I haven’t seen any of season 1). It’s amazing what they can do on tv budgets nowadays.

Have you seen any of Raised By Wolves? Not sure what channel it’s on but I need to download it.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I guess it did lose steam after episode 2 then. Well I’ll give it a go.

CaptainWacky

I haven't started season two yet. I was kind of thinking I'd wait for the whole season to come out, but I do want to watch it and there's literally no reason not to watch it weekly. So I'll probably start it tomorrow!

I finished Dickinson season one, it was good. Hailee Steinfeld is a great actress. I'll watch season two!

Started X-Men 1992, my gateway into Marvel, again.

CaptainWacky

I'm a few episodes behind on For All Mankind season 2. I feel like the season's suffered a bit from the ten year time jump? The first few episodes had to do a lot of catching the viewer up with what's happened in the last ten years and where everything stands now, so it's taken a while to really get going. Plus nobody actually looks ten years older (the women especially look exactly the same?) and I don't know maybe it was too big of a time jump? I still like the characters and it's still a good show. The latest one I watched was the one with Tracey on the moon and that felt more like a season one episode.

Dickinson seaosn two is excellent.

CaptainWacky

I might watch it.

CaptainWacky

Anyone watching invincible?

It's good. The first episode made it feel like it was just going to be a fairly standard superhero origin thing, but there's a big twist towards the end and the scope gets larger with subsequent eps.

CaptainWacky

the last few eps of for all mankind, wow!

the finale especially was excellent, *and also* seemed to borrow from BSG (and especially Crossroads pt 2) in a way that was fun

The last two episodes were insane! I liked that they managed to do both the Star Trek hopeful vision of the future thing while also having a shoot out with Soviets on the moon.

Gordo and Trace though! I liked them! :(

CaptainWacky

It looked pretty boring and it's Mark Millar so I didn't watch.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Saw the 1st Modok, will not be watching any more, should have stopped earlier, thought I would give it chance to make me laugh once, or even to smile.

No such luck.

CaptainWacky

Mythic Quest season 2 - It's very good. I do wonder if it was a bit covid-impacted because they have two episodes focusing on one character late in the season and then the last two episodes feel a bit rushed. But the finale was excellent and would be a perfect series finale (I'd watch another season though!)

Ted Lasso season 2 episode 1 - It's good but it's SOOO warm and gentle that it times I feel a bit cynical about it. This is probably my own issue rather than a problem with the show. Good if you want a show where peole are actually nice to each other and learn things and grow.