Some movies watched in 2020

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Watching Three From Hell right now.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2020) - Some of it is laugh out loud funny, some is just a bit too cringey. Like the part where Tutar's dancing while on her "moon blood" was a bit much for me (and I'm not sure how that's really sticking it to the Republicans? Haha, they don't like women showing their bloody crotches?) The girl playing Tutar was really good and handled stuff like the Rudy interview just as deftly as Baron Cohen does. I do have to wonder just how real some of the scenes with the "real" people are. The guy with the FAX machine, the old Jewish woman, the babysitter, the two insane Trump supporters, they all seem TOO perfect in what they say? Maybe there was a shitload of editing going on. Anyway it is funny so that's the important part! Even though some of it didn't land for me there's always another joke coming up soon. And the ending was really pretty touching.

The babysitter’s complaining that she was told it was a documentary and thought the daughter was going to be given to Mike Pence.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Did she not Google "Borat" at any time during the filming of the movie? Seemed like quite some time went by between her first appearance and Borat going back to see her (she had a mask on then), surely she would have looked him up by then.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I watched Jojo rabbit, I was expecting it to be funny, which it was, I wasn't expecting it to be so moving.

CaptainWacky

Yes, God, Yes (2019) - I wanted to watch something non-demanding on Netflix, saw this, and put it on. Set in 2000, tt stars Natalia Dyer as a Catholic schoolgirl discovering her sexuality in AOL chatrooms and stuff. Also has the guy who was Jonah in Veep. It was sweet and gently amusing. Very good central performance from Dyer. It was based on a short film and you can kind of tell because even at 78 minutes it feels maybe a bit stretched out. But I liked it.

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

Mank (2020) - I enjoyed it. Gary Oldman is very entertaining as a charming drunk, but Amanda Seyfried is just great whenever she's on screen. I found her parts by far the best. I don't have much more to say as I have no idea how much of it was true to real events (and does that matter?) and am currently reading articles about the making of Citizen Kane. I liked other David Fincher films more but this is really nothing like any of them (and it's based on a screenplay his late father wrote, so that's nice!)

CaptainWacky

Parasite (2019) - It was good.

CaptainWacky

Ingrid Goes West (2017) - Dark comedy about a social media stalker (Aubrey Plaza) who moves to LA to stalk and Instagram influencer (Elizabeth Olsen.) I'd literally watch Aubry Plaza read the phone book (excpet she would probably never read a phone book and I'd have to hide outside for weeks waiting for her to read one even if she somehow did?) but luckily this also happened to be enjoyable! It's quite funny, all the performances are strong but yes it's Plaza's movie and there's no better Aubrey Plaza than Aubrey Plaza. Recommended!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I bet Aubrey would read the phone book if it was an ASMR video...

CaptainWacky

:sarek:

CaptainWacky

Soul (2020) - It's pretty good. Animation and score are really pretty in the "before life" (whatever they called it) segments. Definitely some very uplifting and feel good moments towards the end. But I did get a bit bored in the middle. Am I racist against jazz? Maybe! Or maybe it was because it was all a bit predictable and didn't really ever transcend being pretty good. Worth watching though.

Mirah

I love you
I also enjoyed the Christmas Chronicles.

And now I have some other movies to check out, thanks CaptainWacky!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I liked Soul but got bored a bit at times too.

Technically it was very well done with a lot of detail put into the visuals, and the characterisation and acting was decent. Nice to hear graham norton and Richard ayoade too. But there was a bit too much back and forth between the realms and a lot of repetition of the same point about savouring life.

It was a bit like A Christmas Carol, but without such a clear direction of the story.

CaptainWacky

It felt like an episode of The Good Place but maybe not quite as good (but with better animation.)

whisky

Boobie inspector
Watched bad boys for life, surprisingly good, maybe because Michael Bay didn't direct, although he did cameo.

Saw downfall too, a Will Ferrell film, it was ok, not as funny as I was hoping.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Soul (2020) - It's pretty good. Animation and score are really pretty in the "before life" (whatever they called it) segments. Definitely some very uplifting and feel good moments towards the end. But I did get a bit bored in the middle. Am I racist against jazz? Maybe! Or maybe it was because it was all a bit predictable and didn't really ever transcend being pretty good. Worth watching though.
Soul feels like they fed the scripts for the "High-concept emotional" Pixar films like Inside Out and Coco into an AI and asked it to spit out a new script. It's not bad - a lot of it is very good - but it does feel like they have their emotional moments down to an exact formula now which kind of makes them feel a bit soulless (IRONIC).