Some movies watched in 2020

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
James...Spader?

whisky

Boobie inspector
I saw the last x men film, it had phoenix in, it wasn't great.

CaptainWacky

Fortunately the number movie in America New Mutants is the new "last X-Men film."

CaptainWacky

Zombieland: Double Tap (2019) - I kind of new I'd probably regret watching it but I liked (but not as much as other people did) the original in 2009 and there were enough good people in this sequal that I thought it was worth watching. It's not really all that good. Remember how the first one felt kind of episodic, like a season of a tv show that had been turned into a movie? That's because it was originally written as a tv show but they turned the script into a movie. This one has the exact same episodic feel but it makes no sense this time because this was always meant to be a movie! Most of the jokes didn't really land and some were a bit embarrassing. Zoey Deutch I think did the best with the material, even though her character felt a bit out-dated. The original four haven't changed since the original (well except Abigail Bresling because she's grown up...but she disappears for 80% of the movie) which is dumb since it's been ten years, Woody just plays his character like a complete cartoon with none of the moments of depth like when it's revealed he had a dead family in the original. The whole set-up for the finale doesn't make much sense and I know it's a comedy but good comedies can create an at least believable world. Plus we've had ten years of zombie stuff so all the zombie scenes don't have much impact, other than a couple of decent action bits towards the end. So yeah I would not recommend really!

whisky

Boobie inspector
I watched terminator dark fate tonight, it's bad, story wise, acting wise, and worse of all, FX wise. There are so many digital FX that could have been done practically. It makes justice League look good.

CaptainWacky

I have a (not paid for) copy of that availalbe to watch but just can't be fucked.

CaptainWacky

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019) - Yeah I knew it wasn't very good and yet still watched. I've seen all the other X-Men movies (apart from the legendary New Mutants!) so I couldn't resist. Hey, guess what, it wasn't very good. Everyone just seems bored. Simon Kinberg is a boring director. Jennifer Lawrence dies 45 minutes in (spoiler lol), but she has a weird bit before that where she implies Xavier is a fame whore now and says "maybe we should be called the X-WOMEN" for no apparent reason. Sophie Turner still can't really do an American accent and Phoenix only gets interesting when she goes evil for about five minutes, but she quickly just turns good again. There's all the familiar tropes of the main series X-Men movies: Quicksilver ends up in a coma so he can't just easily resolve everything, Magneto fights the X-Men then later teams up with them (can you believe it!), Xavier looks sad, etc. They skip forward a decade again for NO REASON (like if you thought Captain Marvel had no reason to be set in the nineties...well you might be right, but at least it had songs and fashion and stuff. This could have been set in any year) with no one getting older. Jessica Chastain's villain is literally just an evil alien with no character beyond that (she's fairly good as far as it goes though.) It does have some moments of life and fun in the final action scene on the train (which was all done in reshoots as they thought the original ending was too close to Captain Marvel's ending, fact fans!), Magneto's powers can always be relied on for some cool looking moments. But yeah it all just felt tired and samey. The main series X-Men movies never lived up to the potential shown by X2. MAYBE Days of Future Past did but I don't think I liked that quite as much as everyone else. It's the side movies like Logan and, in its own way, Deadpool that managed to capture the feeling of (some of) the comics to me.

CaptainWacky

Did you notice their boss was named "M. Mouse" too. Strange!

whisky

Boobie inspector
I had Argo in the background while I was working, it seemed quite good.

I also saw the first twenty minutes of the Adam Sandler Halloween movie, it was unfunny, even by his standards.

CaptainWacky

Little Women (2019) - I liked it. It's a bit weird at first when you've got the actors playing the sisters as adults and children. Like husky voiced Florence Pugh playing a twelve year old can't help but be distracting, even though her acting is great (her foot got stuck in a bucket!) Also is Amy meant to be younger than Beth? But the acting is good enough you can just go with it. Well, I could anyway. Pugh is great mentioned and of course Saoirse Ronan is amazing as the lead (Emma Watson's fine, her character just isn't quite as interseting.) I felt suitable emotions at the right parts. I liked how the story was told even though I thnk it's probably told that way since most people are familiar with the book which I've never read. I know they ended the movie differently from the book and that's probably controversial with some people but I like how it was done. For all Iknew the book really did end like this.

Last edited:

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Y'all checked out Two Sentence Horror yet?

CaptainWacky

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2020) - Some of it is laugh out loud funny, some is just a bit too cringey. Like the part where Tutar's dancing while on her "moon blood" was a bit much for me (and I'm not sure how that's really sticking it to the Republicans? Haha, they don't like women showing their bloody crotches?) The girl playing Tutar was really good and handled stuff like the Rudy interview just as deftly as Baron Cohen does. I do have to wonder just how real some of the scenes with the "real" people are. The guy with the FAX machine, the old Jewish woman, the babysitter, the two insane Trump supporters, they all seem TOO perfect in what they say? Maybe there was a shitload of editing going on. Anyway it is funny so that's the important part! Even though some of it didn't land for me there's always another joke coming up soon. And the ending was really pretty touching.

Last edited:

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The Rudy Giuliani scene is all over social media now -- Rudy hasn't been doing well trying to explain/defend his behavior. He claimed he was "tucking in his shirt" when he laid down and put his hand down his pants. It doesn't explain why he grabs her hip tho. It's acting as a great campaign ad for Joe Biden and the Democrats, lol.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
I wouldn't be surprised if Sacha Baron Cohen was on government watchlist after dressing up as Trump and trying to gift Tutar to Mike Pence. Still pretty funny though. Wawooweewa.

CaptainWacky

McDonald Trump.