Star Trek: Discovery season 2

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I thought these last two episodes were pretty solid.

As someone who is a big fan of The Cage for some reason it was kind of brain breaking to have an episode that's basically a direct sequel to it. ESPECIALLY as they showed footage from the original episode. It just highlights how good Anson Mount is as Pike (he's very good).

The new Talosian designs really sucked though.

The most recent episode was also good but yeah it kind of sucked that they spend a whole bunch of time making Ariam actually interesting and good and then kill her off just as she was becoming a proper character. Can't they kill off Tyler instead? He's worse in every way.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I particularly like Michael’s Shatneresque fight choreography. Two punches to the face won’t do the job, but clobbering a robot about the ears and then performing a high kick to the solar plexus will do.

The only things that bothered me were how daft the mines were (“this ones a circular saw!” “Oh, ok... uh, now what’s happening?” “Uh, so this is a Blancmange Mine. It fires blancmange. If they use the Dildo Mines then we’re really fucked. Really fucked.”) and general logic questions, like why did they never shoot at the mines and why didn’t they beam Michael, Ariam or the Barzan woman in or out as required rather than watching the fight passively on space FaceTime.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OH, I wanted Ariam to live! I thought she was just a robot. I didn't know she had been human and got a robot body (and partial brain).

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Maybe they can find a Soong to rebuild her.

Last edited:

The Question

Eternal
I'm just waiting for nu-nu-Spock to go on a completely unhinged rampage, just running down the corridors screaming, crying, laughing, and gibbering about red angels, hockey pucks, barbecued pulled pork, and other random nonsense. Maybe the train-hopping-hobo beard takes over his entire body first, so he's like a Vulcan werewolf or something.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Can he accidentally kill Tilly with a flailing gangly limb during that breakdown? Sorry, but I find her Jar Jar meets Wesley Crusher antics just too much now.

The Question

Eternal
Can he accidentally kill Tilly with a flailing gangly limb during that breakdown? Sorry, but I find her Jar Jar meets Wesley Crusher antics just too much now.

I don't think "accidentally" will be quite as satisfying as him saying, "Shut up, Wesley!" then throwing her bodily through that stupid "windshield" main viewer so the bridge decompresses and spaces the lot of them. They call all follow the robot dame's example.

CaptainWacky

I didn't understand why she started saying "I'm not a fugitive!" to Admiral Fuckbuddy. Like was she susecpted of being one?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Why does she say anything? Most of the characters feel like they could be real people, with real responsibilities. Tilly is completely at odds with the tone and wouldn’t last five minutes in a real military. Who would feel at ease relying on her in life or death situations? She might think of something extraordinary, but she’s just as likely to have a breakdown, or go on a monologue about salted caramel ice cream.

CaptainWacky

Well after two really good episode that had me optimistic about the future of the show, this week's was...pretty bad. From the exposition dump at the start (Section 31 knew what the Red Angel was all along but never told anyone! There's been a time travel cold war going on this whole time!) to Space Hitler saying "Defcon fun" to never explaining WHY they were trying to capture the Red Angel anyway (it's come back in time to prevent the apocalypse, lock it up!) to the nonsensical ending (Michale's been in mortal danger plenty of times in the last two seasons without the RA saving her)...yeah, it was bad. Really disappointing as I was getting used to the idea of this actually being a good tv show.

whisky

Boobie inspector
The mother would not be an exact dna replica of Michael unless they are clones of each other, or Michael from the future went back in time and raised herself, in which case was she banging her own dad?

CaptainWacky

Red Dwarf did it.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah, that was really schlocky. They even repeated that there was no doubt it was Michael.

I did like Culber’s unfortunately very brief chat with Admiral Fuckbuddy and I like that they’re generally retconning Georgiou to be more like the one from this universe.

Also I think the officer who replaced Airiam is the actress who originally played her.

CaptainWacky

It is, which is kind of weird. Like they wanted to keep her (even though she's basically an extra) so swapped the actresses just to kill the other one.

The Question

Eternal
Why does she say anything? Most of the characters feel like they could be real people, with real responsibilities. Tilly is completely at odds with the tone and wouldn’t last five minutes in a real military. Who would feel at ease relying on her in life or death situations? She might think of something extraordinary, but she’s just as likely to have a breakdown, or go on a monologue about salted caramel ice cream.

As noted: Wesley Crusher, but a cute girl. The one thing that stands in the way of Burnham being a Mary Sue is that Burnham is at least seriously flawed as a person; Tilly has no such barrier, because even her social ineptitude is played as "adorkable" rather than as a serious obstacle.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
What's up with whatshisface getting stabbed in the eyes at the end?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
That was really brutal, but I couldn’t figure out what that periscope thing was actually for. Was he talking to a version of Control that he thought was safe?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Oh, maybe that's where the future sentient code is hiding.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Isn't it lucky that Gergio was able to adapt to the brighter lighting in our universe much better than Lorca