Star Trek: Discovery season 2

whisky

Boobie inspector
I imagine the big heads come off total reval style and there are sexy ladies underneath.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Tell me Hugh and Vok aren't going to be a couple now.

Musical plants aside talos 4 was a bit of a let down.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
I disagree. That episode was a Trek geekfest. :)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Melissa George was very good as Vina. She looked like someone from the sixties! Her and Anson Mont had good chemistry and it gave a bit more depth to Pike's decisioin to go live with her in 'The Menagerie.' The actual Talosians were a disappoining as they were just weirdos who like perving on emotiions and didn't seem as weird or alien as in 'The Cage'. Singing plants were good.

In general I liked that the episode slowed down and allowed the character moments to play out without zooming the camera around randomly. It was one of the most cinematic looking episodes of Star Trek too (but still too much lens flare.)

Was that hot blonde woman the Chief Engineer?

Georgiou still being all "haha genocide" is weird and out of place.

The Question

Eternal
I like how every third alien species we've seen a million times before now has a weird vocal post-processing effect. Because "In the nowwwwwwwww."

wiUO5Aa.jpg

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Oh I loved it! The plants were great. Hugh should have punched Tyler a few more times.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
One of my favourite episodes so far. It was a bit peculiar to actually show scenes from The Cage only to redesign the Talosians (and the plants), but overall the design choices were really good. The scene where Pike was in his ready room talking to Michael on Talos was very well done.

All the bigging up of what Michael had done to scar Spock so much actually paid off. That was really cruel and does explain why Spock has always acted more Vulcan than human.

The (artificial intelligence?) aliens that want to destroy all life is something we’ve seen a million times before, but again, the vision was well done. They do feel like a real threat.

The Stamets/Culber stuff is so sad.

CaptainWacky

It was weird how they didn't use the remastered version of 'The Cage' for the previously on bit.

The Question

Eternal
One of my favourite episodes so far. It was a bit peculiar to actually show scenes from The Cage only to redesign the Talosians (and the plants), but overall the design choices were really good.

I feel like if they'd really wanted to go the extra mile, they could have digitally inserted their redesigned Talosians and recast actors into the "previously on" bit as well as used the remastered footage for the rest of it. They did that with "Trials and Tribble-ations" for DS9, surely it must be even easier to do now.

But maybe that was just too much effort for a 30 second stinger.

CaptainWacky

whisky

Boobie inspector
Phasers sure seem ineffective in this episode. Also what was stopping discovery from beaming them back?

Maybe if robogirl had more of an impact in the last two seasons her death would have had more resonance.

CaptainWacky

I thought it was one of the best episodes they've done. Yeah it would have been good if Ariam had been featured more throughout the show, but I was still sad when she died and liked her backstory. It's not much different than making you care about someone like Sito Jaxa in one episode.

Has "Control" being an AI ever been mentioned before?

New Spock still doesn't feel like Spock but he actually had some better scenes this time.

CaptainWacky

He'll shave in dramatic fashion in the season finale and reveal that it's custom for Vulcans to stop showing emotions after shaving.

The Question

Eternal
Either that or it's the beard that's making him so emo. There's nothing much comfortable about sporting a train-hopping-hobo beard.