Star Trek: Discovery Season 3

whisky

Boobie inspector
Tellings us you can hold your breath for ten minutes doesn't mean you can talk while holding your breath, this is like Joey drinking the gallon of milk.

But if we stop watching they might start making it good.

whisky

Boobie inspector
The bit in the middle of the ship seems to be the place where they keep the doors in monsters inc.

MODMAN

Folks I promise you, you're allowed to just stop watching.

NEVER!

Untitled-1.jpg

I'll just C&P what I wrote at the other place ...

Weak. Weak finale to round off the weakest season so far.

I really thought a change in scenery - unencumbered by any canon / continuity roadblocks *might* have done the trick. But at this point, I don't think it matters what century they deposit Discovery in, we're still going to be stuck with the same damned creative team.

As for the finale ...
  • Some of the scenes with Saru and Su'Kal were nice - Doug Jones can rescue a lot of mediocre writing.
  • The Coruscant chase sequence (Nice steal, Wacky) through the turbo shafts. That's ummm ... quite the spacious interior. Must've upgraded Discovery with the Bigger On The Inside™ tech we saw in Enterprise's Future Tense. I know, I know ... Star Trek V.
  • Book and the Spore Drive. No. Are you fucking kidding me?
  • Genetic subspace connections. Awesome.
  • Grey appearing in corporeal form really ought to have elicited more 'WTF!?' from the Doctor and less smiles and hugs. But I guess we don't have time for that, because we have to push the plot along ASAP.
  • Ossyra - from moustache twirling villain, to potentially interesting character last episode aaaaand ... back to moustache twirling villain - see ya. You shouldn't have given up - cause Burnham never does! (even when she's trapped in a wall of replicator blocks).
  • There's still a hard road ahead for The Federation. Oh wait, there's not? Dilithium - check. Montage of old member worlds signing back up - check. Alright then - moving along.

Last but not least - Captain Michael Burnham. They really did it.

But it could work. I think the writing that got her there was shitty, lazy and poorly conceived. But, it might be a better fit for the show. We'll see.

Next season's wish list: a real ensemble cast. Whatever the faults were of the Berman era, ensemble casts weren't one of them. I want more balance with some real depth & complexity to these characters. Oh, and no damned mystery box!

/rant

"So, Michael ... what did you learn this season?"

"Why, the same thing I learn every season - I'm always right."

----

Note:

Where I said "But it could work. I think the writing that got her there was shitty, lazy and poorly conceived. But, it might be a better fit for the show. We'll see." -- I'm being pretty fucking generous. I have no confidence in these writers.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Is all the sphere data in that one cute little robot now? They need to give it a name!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
They’ve shown that stupidly massive interior before, but I hoped it’d be swept under the rug never to be shown again. Instead they totally doubled down on it.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Riker kicking the mind-rape guy down the elevator shaft and saying "don't worry, Hell is dark" was much better.

(They cut that line from the movie for some reason but I'll never forget it.)

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
140401197_10159111486428874_372049917045717310_n.jpg

CaptainWacky

It's disturbing that whoever made that didn't bother editing out parts of Picard's body, so Biden is literally sitting on him.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
LOL That's Bernie :D

CaptainWacky

They both start with B.

MODMAN

I've had a change of heart.

After 15 years, I will change my avatar to honor of the most incredible, inspiring and talented Starfleet officer ever to grace our screens.

I do not fear emotion. I do not fear love. I do not fear tears. I am Captain Michael Burnham.

We are witness to the most distilled and purest version of Star Trek ever created. This series is ... is ... beyond words. When I think of series that I've held in high esteem such as Battlestar Galactica, The Expanse, Breaking Bad ... I never would have thought another series would come along and make them pale in comparison.

Don't miss the train, guys. In the decades to come, *this* is the series that will be remembered.

Embrace the journey. Embrace the discovery.

Star Trek: Discovery.

MODMAN

This was certainly a powerful moment in it's day.

However, with both actors being white AND male, I'm not sure if it carries the same significance and impact it once did.

IIRC, Scotty and Bones were the only other two cast members in the engineering room with them at the time. So ... no minority representation at all? Hmmm. Not so progressive as one might think ?