Star Trek: Discovery Season 3

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
J.G. Hertzler could show up as Laas.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Remember when star trek used to be exciting?

So the energy weapons from earth still can't make it through the sheids of a ship from a thousand years earlier?

And now they give us another Wesley, and make them non binary so it's a hate crime to not like them.

CaptainWacky

It was "okay" but felt like it lasted really long watching it right after the Mandalorian.

It's pretty hard to believe that Earth and Titan would completely lose contact.

I thought Book would stick around like Neelix? Seems weird.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Especially when he was able to hail the discovery with ease.

Earth pulling out of the federation felt very brexity

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah this and The Mandalorian coming out so close really highlights how bad Discovery is in comparison. It looks worse. It tries to do a big, overarching storyline but it's not very interesting. The characters are written terribly in comparison.

I mean it was 'okay' but I wouldn't call it 'good'.

whisky

Boobie inspector
BTW, totally ok with trans actors, the one on Supergirl, the original RA in the Stargate movie, the one from the crying game. I have just never liked child geniuses, not Wesley, not the blond kid in Galactica 80, Gary Coleman in Buck Rogers was ok, god all my references are so old.

The Question

Eternal
Isn't the point of a character being trans that we the audience don't know? I mean, isn't evangelism sorta the opposite of just living as whatever sex you choose to pass yourself off as? It's like putting on a disguise, then going around telling everybody it's a disguise and demanding that they pretend they don't know. When they actually wouldn't have known if you'd just kept your mouth shut about it. Seems pretty damned loopy to me. o_O

whisky

Boobie inspector
My disguise is confident husband, father, worker, when I'm really super insecure man/ drinks too much man

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I thought they were non-binary, not trans. Either way, everyone from Earth and actually pretty much every character in this show is obnoxious (yes, including Tilly. Especially Tilly). The only non-snarky character with natural dialogue and acting is Book, who’s apparently decided to bugger off for a few episodes.

Visiting earth in the far flung future was interesting at first, but ultimately quite a letdown. For all the exposition we didn’t really learn much about their society. In particular, if no alternate FTL drives worked (which is bullshit) then there should’ve been thousands or even millions of non humans stranded on earth. Are we to believe they didn’t have any descendants?

The Question

Eternal
My disguise is confident husband, father, worker, when I'm really super insecure man/ drinks too much man

Yeah, but now that we all know it's a disguise, it'd be rude of you to insist that we all act like we don't know.

I mean, even Klinger from M*A*S*H didn't get in peoples' faces demanding that they act like he actually was a woman. He wanted them to think he was crazy -- but they weren't even playing along with that, 'cause they knew he was just trying to get Section 8'd, which was in fact an extremely sane thing to do.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Michael telling Saru he is the captain was sweet.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I thought they were non-binary, not trans. Either way, everyone from Earth and actually pretty much every character in this show is obnoxious (yes, including Tilly. Especially Tilly). The only non-snarky character with natural dialogue and acting is Book, who’s apparently decided to bugger off for a few episodes
They are getting one of each, so not sure which one this is. Yes bad move loosing Book this early, it's like serenity all over again.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

He's the guy who created the Belter language in The Expanse.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
This week’s episode was excellent. Exploring an alien culture, what it is to be human, how we’re stronger together than apart. Actual Star Trek! And the visuals of the Trill mind palace were beautiful. Great stuff.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I was bored for most of it, the stuff on discovery was ok, but the person playing Grey creeped me out.

CaptainWacky

I thought it was pretty good, best of the season, though again too much hugging and the crew telling each other they love them. Like the idea of Saru bringing the crew together was sound but they have to make every emotional moment the most emotional thing ever like they think that's the only way the audience will ever feel anything.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah Discovery really likes to ham up the BIG EMOTIONAL MOMENTS with the members of the crew except it really doesn't bother to actually try and characterise anyone other than Michael so it just turns into a bunch of people I don't really give a shit about hugging each other for 20 minutes.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I loved it, it was very sweet. I'm glad the sphere merged with the computer, or whatever. That could be cool.