Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Episode 10

Great finale. Did a far better alternate timeline/time travel story in one hour than Picard season 2 managed in ten.

Loved the Romulan ship and its plasma weapon. And the TOS music and zoom in on Spock when the Romulan was revealed.

I vaguely thought there was maybe supposed to have been something between Pike and La'an after she hugged him but I guess it was just to show how she softens in the next seven years.

Ortegas apparently goes from being "happy go lucky pilot" to "a bit of a racist" in seven years!

Scotty's voice made me lol.

Not really sold on Kirk's actor yet: Sam says he "gets by on charm" but he didn't seem all that charming? A bit stony faced. And it's not just that he's different from Shatner; Ethan Peck as Spock doesn't do a Nimoy impersonation but when he raises his eyebrow in that certain way he's recognisably Spock (but different!) Anyway, he was fine for this story and maybe he'll somehow get hot for season two.

I trust you all stayed for the post credit scene of Hemmer and his baby Gorn "children"? Huge twist!

whisky

Boobie inspector
He just seemed too tall and skinny, Shatner had charm that's hard to replicate, Pine had it, this guy doesnt.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I'm not too concerned that he wasn't exactly like Kirk because this wasn't our Kirk, it was a Kirk who never got command of The Enterprise so it doesn't surprise me that he never got that cocky.

EPISODE GOOD

They should have got James Frain to play the Romulan commander.

CaptainWacky

The two good Star Trek shows to crossover!

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
When does that start?

CaptainWacky

Do you think they designed the Lower Decks characters to resemble their voice actors in the hope that they'd one day get to appear in live action?

Last edited:

The Question

Eternal
I have a bone to pick. (Don't look at me like that, you knew I would.)

How many times is science fiction going to do the "ONOEZ, TEH SPAYZSHIP IS GONNA CRASH!!! Oh, PHEW! they pulled up at the very last picosecond!" thing? If it's not already a trope, it won't be long now before it is.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
I have a bone to pick. (Don't look at me like that, you knew I would.)

How many times is science fiction going to do the "ONOEZ, TEH SPAYZSHIP IS GONNA CRASH!!! Oh, PHEW! they pulled up at the very last picosecond!" thing? If it's not already a trope, it won't be long now before it is.
The shuttle thing? I'd swear I've seen Star Trek shows themselves do that several times.

StarMan™

It looks like so much fun.

Why does it rub me the wrong way?

Visually, it looks fucking incredible. But when they start talking, I recoil. Granted I've never been a fan of Paramount's bombastic trailers. I'm not a fan of the quip and can see they're leaning even harder into it. It's a pet peeve which puts me in the minority, I know. SNW is space adventures embracing the coolness of space adventuring and just having a darn good time while being awesome and most love it for that. But for me, there's a piece missing.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
It looks like so much fun.

Why does it rub me the wrong way?

Visually, it looks fucking incredible. But when they start talking, I recoil. Granted I've never been a fan of Paramount's bombastic trailers. I'm not a fan of the quip and can see they're leaning even harder into it. It's a pet peeve which puts me in the minority, I know. SNW is space adventures embracing the coolness of space adventuring and just having a darn good time while being awesome and most love it for that. But for me, there's a piece missing.
I don't know, man. I get what you mean in the idea something is missing, but given the dirge all modern Trek has been for decades now I find it to be a breath of fresh air.

CaptainWacky

I hope there's an episode where Pike turns into a hamburger.