Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

So cute.

AND THE DOG'S NICE TOO LOL?

MODMAN

I watched the first 15 minutes the other day and switched off. Tried again tonight and fell asleep. Woke up and finally pushed through to the end.

It's a good thing the space entity wasn't the same as the one that imprisoned Janeway in Coda. The ease with which M'gemba gave up his child to a new host was peculiar, but the episode did everything it could to make it work - showing M'gemba had reached a dead end in his efforts to find a cure; showing his daughter insta-adulting to assure him he made the right call. Nonetheless, the decision itself in the moment of consent was a high-risk roll of the dice - entrusting his daughter to an alien entity that was holding the ship's crew hostage and supressing their awareness for the benefit of itself and a lonely girl.

So, M'gemba's daughter relies on Debra for her continued existence. Let's hope Debra doesn't get bored with her new plaything.

Might be the worst episode, but last week's was pretty atrocious.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I don't have streaming, so I'm just eavesdropping on everything except the YouTube pilot, but this could be an interesting...retcon(?) if done right. It clearly has a parallel to the plot of "The Cage"/"The Menagerie." Does the series take place before or after "The Cage"? Do Pike's decisions and actions in that episode color the decisions in this episode? Does Pike's knowledge of his future color things? Will the experience from this episode affect the decision he and Spock make for "The Menagerie"? This may look like a light, fun, throwaway episode on the surface, but if the writers are clever, it could be a lot deeper than it seems.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
I don't have streaming, so I'm just eavesdropping on everything except the YouTube pilot, but this could be an interesting...retcon(?) if done right. It clearly has a parallel to the plot of "The Cage"/"The Menagerie." Does the series take place before or after "The Cage"? Do Pike's decisions and actions in that episode color the decisions in this episode? Does Pike's knowledge of his future color things? Will the experience from this episode affect the decision he and Spock make for "The Menagerie"? This may look like a light, fun, throwaway episode on the surface, but if the writers are clever, it could be a lot deeper than it seems.
Get some free(with ads) TV and movie apps. That's how I watch everything that isn't Prime or Netflix.

MODMAN

Light & breezy w/ plenty of ham and cheese on offer. Depth is not on the menu.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I guess this episode couldn't decide if it wanted to be aliens or predator so just kind of smashed them both together.

CaptainWacky

Episode 9 HUGE SPOILERS EXPOSED

Hemmer WTF. I liked him. I guess it's always a good move to cast a regular for just one season then shockingly kill them off. And as much as I liked him, it's better that he stays dead than resurrecting him through mystical mushroom magic or some Disco shit. And I don't want a young Scotty replacing him.

Good episode. I hope La'an is still in next week's (maybe the cliffhanger is her showing up and saying "the Gorn are going to invade Andoria because they enjoyed killing Hemmer so much!" or something.)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
This kind of thing isn't my favorite. I don't like jump scares and STUFF, but they did it really well.

La'an better come back :rwmad:

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
This kind of thing isn't my favorite. I don't like jump scares and STUFF, but they did it really well.

La'an better come back :rwmad:
Jump scares are the worst. That's why I don't watch horror movies.

Uhura better decide to stay in Starfleet.:rwmad:

I knew Ensign Duke was a goner as soon as he was promoted to Lieutenant. Might as well have put a red shirt on him.

MODMAN

I haven't watched the episode yet. Question (spoilers):

It seems a little shoulder shruggy that Hemmer bit the bullet. We've barely seen him.

Also, is this seriously a straight rip from Alien / Predator ?

SAUSAGEMAN

idk what you consider a straight rip but yeah, this is very obviously the result of the writers sitting down and deciding "we're going to do an Alien". They've actually been pretty deliberate in making every episode a different "genre" of (more or less) scifi, and you can really see how each episode each originated from a genre.

CaptainWacky

Remember when Janeway did an Alien with a sentient macro virus.

The Question

Eternal
Well, that's a shame. Hemmer was a genuinely likable character. If they do bring in Scotty, FFS, cast somebody who's actually Scottish this time. And somebody who's not a fucking goofball. Once was enough with the Simon Pegg "Jar-Jar Binks" style. "Meesa likin dis ship! Itsa exciting!" Fuck off, Simon Pegg.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yo what the fuck was this? A character dies in a big dramatic way at the end of an episode, but they actually had scenes in other episodes before this? And we understood who they were as a character and how other characters felt about them in a way that actually made the death more dramatic? What the hell is this nonsense?! This is not what I've come to expect from modern Star Trek at all!!

The Question

Eternal
Yo what the fuck was this? A character dies in a big dramatic way at the end of an episode, but they actually had scenes in other episodes before this? And we understood who they were as a character and how other characters felt about them in a way that actually made the death more dramatic? What the hell is this nonsense?! This is not what I've come to expect from modern Star Trek at all!!
I was immediately suspicious when there were likable characters at all. I was totally prepared for La'an, but then they snuck in Hemmer. Even the teenage boy working the helm isn't entirely unbearable.

And Pike, I literally can't even. A straight white male, as Captain?

Kidding aside, the one headscratcher is...

The fuck is going on with Number One's eyebrows? They go from Vulcan to human and back again, all the time. Are they prehensile or something?

I suspect they got the idea of giving her Vulcan(ish) eyebrows from an old publicity still of Majel Barret; this one:
cy5qcGc

But she's green there, so I assume that's from a screen test or something, and they must have figured, well... that'd be a good look for Rebecca Romijn. But, y'know... only exactly 50% of the time she's on screen. :wtf: