Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I thought it was fine. Like a perfectly fine mid-tier episode of Star Trek.

Although I'm not sure why they thought the first thing audience needed to know what that Spock FUCKS.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I thought it was fun, and a good introduction to the characters. PIKE IS HOT.

I think La'an is going to be my favorite. She reminds me of Drummer from Expanse.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I enjoyed the punchline to the "Lt. Kirk" thing being Sam Kirk with a hilarious moustache.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Why travel in a shuttle all the way to the enterprise then beam in a minute before landing?

CaptainWacky

To have a look at it.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Why travel in a shuttle all the way to the enterprise then beam in a minute before landing?
For the views, of course.

The Question

Eternal
It was all right. Much more like The Orville than Discovery; which is to say, much closer to feeling like authentic Star Trek.

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
It's like I've said elsewhere, each of the new Trek series has been slowly becoming more Trek-like than the previous one. It's a gradual process, but eventually, Star Trek will probably escape the grimderp funk that nuBSG left sci-fi in, and find itself again.

The Question

Eternal
Mount's portrayal of Pike is kind of spot on. Not in The Cage sense, but sort of as a blend between Kirk and Picard. Brash, bold, kind, and with the Picard speechifying stuff. I like it.
I noted hints of Archer in there, too, which is... not inappropriate, I guess. This version of Pike is sure as hell a far and away better depiction than the movie version, that's for sure.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I also liked it. I wonder if each episode will home a different 70s sci fi film?

Last week silent running, this week close encounters?

CaptainWacky

It was like a good season 2 Enterprise episode, where it would have been Hoshi singing to the egg.

I guess Starfleet changes its policy on pre-warp civilisationin terference by the 24th century, since there were numerous TNG episodes where Picard was like "fuck the aliens who are about to die, we don't interfere." Worf's brother smuggled some onto the Holodeck!

Bit weird they gave Uhura a dead parents backstory right after giving Drummer one last week.