Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I liked it. Maybe not as much as the last two!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I guess they saw that episode and worked around it with the "so long as you reconstitute them regularly".

What did she say at the end - "the lights are back on, but not everyone sees" or similar. I instantly thought "fuck off Burnham".

It's funny being in the minority - is this what being a Discovery fan feels like? I guess after so much meh I wanted more than serviceable and okay. They're taking the tried and true format from TOS to ENT, but it's still very much a child of the Kurtzman era. I mean, of course it is. I don't know what I was expecting - dark and gritty? Nope. If I were to try and put my finger on it with some descriptive words - light, breezy, fluffy and a little too stylized; stylized in the constant dramatic music in the background, the way characters have that smart/quippy way of speaking all the time. Additionally, it's all presented in a very dramatic / big deal fashion.

If we're talking about character arcs, I want more than Memory Alpha entries - slow it down a bit and let them breathe.

I guess I'm happy with the concept of the show, but the execution is leaning more towards superficial than I'd hoped.

I tend to compare new Trek to other series made in the here and now, not just Old Trek. I barely watch any genre stuff save for Disney+ content - the majority of genre content I consume is through gaming. Perhaps I'm out of touch with how it's being perceived by those who watch a lot of sci-fi / fantasy, whereas I'm either watching classic movies, shows featuring Grogu or waiting for the next Better Call Saul to come out. Something just isn't clicking anymore.

There is some degree of ignoring things I don't like much because of the good will created by all the things I do like. Like, yeah, the way four characters now have revealed tragic backstories has felt somehwat clunky. I mentioned the reveal about M'Benga's daughter feeling out of place to me. But like I said, there's been a lot to like (it's fun, the acting is good, it's episodic!) that I'm not too bothered yet. At some point the good will runs out for any show. I will say though, despite the clunkiness, I do think the characters have been done better than anyone on Discovery or Picard. Like I enjoy watching this version of Nurse Chapel more than I enjoyed watching Seven of Nine on Picard (not just randomly comparing them because they're cute blondes...or am I!?) and that's pretty sad since Seven was so great on Voyager.

Anyway SNW still good but I don't think anyone's blind to its faults or potential faults...besides the people on TrekBBS who give everything 10/10 by default.

Last edited:

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I thought it was a bit weird that they solved the actual plot in like one line as if they ran out of time and then there was like 10 minutes after that with TRAGIC BACKSTORY that felt out of place.

And that they did the "I'm going to resign" "No you're not" "What!!!!!" thing TWICE RIGHT AFTER EACH OTHER.

But other than that it's still better than anything in Discovery.

MODMAN

There is some degree of ignoring things I don't like much because of the good will created by all the things I do like. Like, yeah, the way four characters now have revealed tragic backstories has felt somehwat clunky. I mentioned the reveal about M'Benga's daughter feeling out of place to me. But like I said, there's been a lot to like (it's fun, the acting is good, it's episodic!) that I'm not too bothered yet. At some point the good will runs out for any show. I will say though, despite the clunkiness, I do think the characters have been done better than anyone on Discovery or Picard. Like I enjoy watching this version of Nurse Chapel more than I enjoyed watching Seven of Nine on Picard (not just randomly comparing them because they're cute blondes...or am I!?) and that's pretty sad since Seven was so great on Voyager.

Anyway SNW still good but I don't think anyone's blind to its faults or potential faults...besides the people on TrekBBS who give everything 10/10 by default.
There was a guy who said "I thought the pacing was slow at times, but I'll still give it a 10/10". FFS - 10/10 (I prefer out of 5) means excellent. Top notch. Exemplary. Frickin near perfect. If you thought the pacing was off at times, haven't you disqualified it from a max rating?

CaptainWacky

There was a guy who said "I thought the pacing was slow at times, but I'll still give it a 10/10". FFS - 10/10 (I prefer out of 5) means excellent. Top notch. Exemplary. Frickin near perfect. If you thought the pacing was off at times, haven't you disqualified it from a max rating?

There was a guy who called the Picard finale "the most emotional episode of television I've ever watched" so...

MODMAN

There was a guy who called the Picard finale "the most emotional episode of television I've ever watched" so...
ezgif-2-aa2c7109d5.gif

CaptainWacky

MODMAN

At least my man Jammer, to whom I owe my entire TrekBBS and TK career, hated it: https://www.jammersreviews.com/st-picard/s2/farewell.php

(Two stars is about as low as he'll ever go.)

((Sorry for derailing the SNW thread with Picard bashing but it was really bad!!))

If you work out Jammer's season average for each season of NuTrek, Picard S2 scores the lowest; might be the lowest of all his reviews except for Andromeda towards the end.

Star Trek: Patrick Stewart was eye-poppingly bad, like - how? I mean, look at what they did to my boy Q! LOL - and no reason. I mean huh - yet people can still just file under "doesn't matter" and ape a 10/10.

Anyway...

I watched episodes 2 & 3 again with my partner last night, who has told me to stop being a grouch. She's liking it and looking forward to next week. (disclaimer: she can't stand Disco / Burnham and isn't going to bother with Picard S2 after I told her what happened).

I think I watch it with my Cynical Trek Critic hat on; when I watch it again with her I seem to enjoy it a bit more - like I'm just watching a TV show!

It's just every season on NuTrek that started off okay has ended up meh or downright rubbish by the end (save for Lower Decks, which has gone against trend and improved both seasons). When I watch I'm just *waiting* for them to screw it up. But look, I will give Captain "I'm about to die in 10 years but look at my fucking HAIR!", Hippolyta, Aesthetic Vulcan, Drummer, Nelson Mandela, The Shaved Chipmunk, and Uhura a fair chance. Oh and Chapel - she's cute as fuck. Should let her use her real Aussie accent.

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

They could say she was turned Australian in a transproter accident.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I guess Pike always knows he can't die no matter what he puts the ship through, but he can't vouch for everyone else.

Also how many times can sickbay lose all power and still the doctors daughter is fine.

CaptainWacky

Didn't Number One reroute the Doctor's daughter to an independent power source or something last week? Can't remember. It is a bit silly!

But it was a very good episode, Definitely a bit of a remix of Balance of Terror and Disaster but who cares if it's done well. All seven main characters got good stuff to do and have well defined personalities. Compare this to, like, episode 4 of Enterprise where Reed and Mayweather might as well have been extras (this didn't change for Mayweather!) I didn't even mind the Michael voice cameo because it made sense for Spock here (just don't have her in the show ever please.)

That one (male) redshirt on the Bridge was a TERRIBLE actor though it was funny.

CaptainWacky

I sitll think he ends up marrying the guy who becomes Transporter Chief Kyle in TOS.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I loved it! Of course, La'an is my favorite character and it was cool that she got to be the main character of this episode.

What they really needed was bamboo and some gun powder, IMO!

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
Definitely a bit of a remix of Balance of Terror and Disaster but who cares if it's done well. All seven main characters got good stuff to do and have well defined personalities. Compare this to, like, episode 4 of Enterprise where Reed and Mayweather might as well have been extras (this didn't change for Mayweather!) I didn't even mind the Michael voice cameo because it made sense for Spock here (just don't have her in the show ever please.)

That one (male) redshirt on the Bridge was a TERRIBLE actor though it was funny.
Wholeheartedly agreed, this was fun and exciting. Even though you know everything will turn out okay in the end (because reasons) it was still an interesting almost-hour of tension, stress and humor. La'an kind of reminds me of Drummer, obviously, but also Admiral Cain's new pet Kendra Shaw in BSG: Razor, and I'm pretty sure that part where she was shellshocked and frozen was a direct lift from Razor, but no worries.