Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I am so glad they figured out how to get the humor back into the show. Seriously, the other new shows are mostly grim, and I enjoy them sometimes, but I missed the jokes and the fun. You can't really boldly go without laughing in the face of danger. lol

I liked Uhura figuring out the music language, and then the comet alien being prescient. Also Spock has cool sideburns.

The Question

Eternal
Starting to wonder if we'll hear a character react to another character with: "Holy shit! Your parents are still alive?! That's so... weird!"

Other than that, though, huge improvement.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I like that they got into a fight with the other ship and it didn't end with them blowing it up and killing everyone.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I like that they got into a fight with the other ship and it didn't end with them blowing it up and killing everyone.

And it was great that the shepherd alien ended by saying they are not enemies. I think it would be cool if they ran into them again someday, but they probably won't.

Also, with the comet spreading life, it reminded me of The Chase a little bit.

MODMAN

BREAKING NEWS: "Trek fans proclaim Strange New Worlds greatest Trek in franchise history after predictable, episodic story with all the well-trodden hallmarks seen across dozens of previous Trek seasons demonstrates writers appear to have their faculties.".

The Question

Eternal
Nah, it's not the greatest Trek in franchise history. That'd be DS9.

SNW is just a huge, welcome improvement over the steaming mountain of shit that is the rest of KurtzmanTrek.

SAUSAGEMAN

HsWFYUT.jpg

The Question

Eternal
^^Uhhh, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over. Was Fox asleep at the wheel and missed Discovery and Picard? SNW, interestingly, is the first of KurtzmanTrek to not overindulge in woke bullshit, IMO.

MODMAN

Nah, it's not the greatest Trek in franchise history. That'd be DS9.

SNW is just a huge, welcome improvement over the steaming mountain of shit that is the rest of KurtzmanTrek.

Putting aside all the other attributes that make DS9 the greatest, it delivered some truly jaw dropping visuals.

tumblr-mp1bnh-M5v-S1rzu2xzo1-400.webp

When I first saw that in the late 90's - jaw dropping / eye popping! While SNW is a marked improvement, nothing this new stuff ends up doing will ever come close to the experience of DS9 first run through.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I may have masturbated to this a little bit. Very entertaining.

whisky

Boobie inspector
It was exciting to be sure, but what about all those times when the enterprise was the only ship in the quadrant?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Did somebody ever graph all the points that the TOS ENT and the TNG ENT-D traveled in the galaxy from week to week?

EDIT: Hmm... here are some attempts

MODMAN

Average.

Una's log entry with accompanying soaring music was a little too Burnham-esque for my liking - ditto the slow-mo with Hemmer in tow.

Did Laan always know Una's true heritage, or are they suggesting she found out in this episode? If the latter, she was nowhere near sickbay; how did she know (if she didn't already)?

I didn't really care for the plot. I know some are giddy over the return to the adventure-of-the-week format - and I thought I'd be a fan after years of trudging through overwrought / under-baked serialized twaddle. But, this isn't really spinning my wheels either. This story in particular was very paint-by-numbers and simplistic. I just want more from my entertainment and nothing Trek is pumping out is hitting the mark. Okay and not-terrible isn't going to be enough to keep me engaged.

At this juncture, first episode was good. Second was reasonable. This is firmly mediocre. Different kettle of fish to the other series where everything hinges on how the season coalesces around the major plot. Here, we have multiple chances to hit the mark. Given we only have ten episodes, I need something to really knock my socks off soon-ish.

If this weren't Trek, I'd already be considering tapping out. Sensing some of Disco's DNA intermingled in this production - not the clean break I was hoping for. The writing has underwhelmed with overly quippy dialogue - again, not what I was hoping for. I fully expect to be in the minority here. If sentiment does begin to drop off then I'm just a little early to the party; if not, then hopefully I'll have reconsidered jumping off the bandwagon.

So for episode 3 - meh. Oh, and the Doctor's daughter. Double meh.

** out of ****

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It was pretty good, weakest of the three but not bad. Too much of Number One talking at the end. The reveal about M'Benga's daughter seemed a bit out of place in an episode where he wasn't the focus? But I assume he'll have an episode later the season where they resolve that daughter storyline.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I felt it took away from Scotty's acheivent when they said someone could be stored in a pattern buffer indefinitely.

Also didn't they shit down everything but life support last week?

MODMAN

I guess they saw that episode and worked around it with the "so long as you reconstitute them regularly".

It was pretty good, weakest of the three but not bad. Too much of Number One talking at the end. The reveal about M'Benga's daughter seemed a bit out of place in an episode where he wasn't the focus? But I assume he'll have an episode later the season where they resolve that daughter storyline.

What did she say at the end - "the lights are back on, but not everyone sees" or similar. I instantly thought "fuck off Burnham".

It's funny being in the minority - is this what being a Discovery fan feels like? I guess after so much meh I wanted more than serviceable and okay. They're taking the tried and true format from TOS to ENT, but it's still very much a child of the Kurtzman era. I mean, of course it is. I don't know what I was expecting - dark and gritty? Nope. If I were to try and put my finger on it with some descriptive words - light, breezy, fluffy and a little too stylized; stylized in the constant dramatic music in the background, the way characters have that smart/quippy way of speaking all the time. Additionally, it's all presented in a very dramatic / big deal fashion.

If we're talking about character arcs, I want more than Memory Alpha entries - slow it down a bit and let them breathe.

I guess I'm happy with the concept of the show, but the execution is leaning more towards superficial than I'd hoped.

I tend to compare new Trek to other series made in the here and now, not just Old Trek. I barely watch any genre stuff save for Disney+ content - the majority of genre content I consume is through gaming. Perhaps I'm out of touch with how it's being perceived by those who watch a lot of sci-fi / fantasy, whereas I'm either watching classic movies, shows featuring Grogu or waiting for the next Better Call Saul to come out. Something just isn't clicking anymore.