Star Wars: The Clone Wars returns

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
This week's was kind of a reminder that these four episode arcs always seem to go one episode too long. I mean it wasn't bad; it looked great and the action was the best of the season yet, it just felt like nothing really happened by the end? I did love seeing Wat Tambor hanging out with his bros and the those War of the Worlds tripods again. I just suspect that after next week's I'll be saying "yeah they could have done that in three episodes."

CaptainWacky

Admiral Trench, you will be missed.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah I think this would have been a fine arc as part of a normal season, but as part of the LAST EPISODES EVER I kind of wish it had been a... bigger? story instead. But I get why they went with this.

Maybe we'll see the Bad Batch again.

BUT THERE'S THE LITTLE VIDEO THING

ALSO A TRAILER FOR, LET'S FACE IT, WHAT WE'RE ALL HERE FOR

CaptainWacky

The hero we need right now.

CaptainWacky

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
That was a good episode. It's good to see Ahsoka again. I'm glad they replaced the dumb guy love interest they were going to have with two sisters instead.

Not sure how I feel about an Ahsoka Tano not voiced by Ashley Eckstein TBH.

CaptainWacky

Why the actual fuck is the latest episode not on Disney+ (in the UK)? They just have the first four of the season. Why the fuck did I subscribe to Disney+ if I can't watch new Clone Wars.

CaptainWacky

It was good to see Yularen and his moustache again.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
The scene where Anakin sense's Ahsoka is on the ship and lets them go is a really good example of what Dave Filoni does so well.

It's obviously a call-back (call-ahead?) to the scene from Return of the Jedi where Vader lets Luke's shuttle land. But instead of being just call-back it actually works as a character moment on it's own. Anakin knows Ahsoka is still out there, and is helping her in what little way he can. It's great because even if, say, you had no idea that was playing off another scene, it still works as a moment on it's own. And then it's even better, because it adds a little bit of extra content to the scene in Return of the Jedi - was it the Anakin in Vader that made him allow Luke's ship to land?

Compare this to, say, "Hey remember when Chewie got a medal? He has a medal now" it's like night and day.

Also it's nice to see someone actually take spice from the spice mines of Kessel.

CaptainWacky

Not that I remember much of the plot of Solo, but wasn't Kessel surrounded by weird space monsters and black holes and stuff so you need a highly skilled planet to get to and from it? But in this episode they just came out of hyperspace and flew away normally...

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
There's a 'proper' route through the Maw (the gas cloud surrounding Kessel) which is fine for ships to travel through.

They travel through it in this episode (it's lit by beacons) and the Falcon also uses it on it's way in to Kessel in Solo.

BJNTgFi.png

The thing in Solo was that they had to make a quick escape from Kessel or the unrefined fuel would explode(??) so they had to cut through the Maw which is where the big space monster was and it was dumb.

CaptainWacky

Looking at Disney+, the next arc is the two parter where Mace Windu and Jar Jar Binks team up. So you better believe it gets better!

CaptainWacky

I liked the goat alien. He sounded like a goat.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
This episode was weird because they escaped, ran around a bit... and then got captured. So the plot didn't really progress.

BUT there was a lot of good character stuff and yet more examples of why the Jedi suck, actually, and I guess set-up for the Mandalore stuff. I guess one of the Mandos was Sabine's mum, so she'll be around.

CaptainWacky

This week's was kind of a reminder that these four episode arcs always seem to go one episode too long.

Hey guess what, it's still true! Last week's, as has been pointed out, began and ended with the characters in the same position BUT at least had character development to make it worthwhile. Well, that's what we thought last week. That one ended with Rafa admitting she was in the wrong and standing side by side with her sister and Ashoka, as if they're all united now. This week's begins with...Rafa blaming Ahsoka for everything that went wrong. Making last week's completely pointless other than the scene where Ahsoka learned how Trace and Rafa's parents died, a scene that could have easily been done in episode two of the arc. Why does this keep happening? They've been doing these four episode arcs for a while now, surely they should have the hang of it by now? And with this season they'd have had longer to plan it than ever before. At least the next arc SHOULD have enough story for four episodes with all the characters who are going to be in it.

Anyway this week's was pretty good because it had evil Ben Quadinaros people in it.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I like watching Ahsoka talk and do things so on a very basic level I am happy with four episodes of Ahsoka talking and doing things. I also don't hate Trace and Raffa.

But yeah, these 8 episodes so far have definitely been "more Clone Wars" - for better and for worse. BUT I'M STILL HAPPY.

Also evil Ben Quadinaros people.