STARBUCK AND STARBUCK! WHAT IS STARBUCK'S?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
When Herman Melville wrote "Moby Dick," he named the first mate in the book "Starbuck." I don't know where that came from, but in 1978 there was a science fiction TV show where one of the fighter pilots was named "Starbuck." Then some guy in Seattle opened a coffee chain called "Starbuck's". And of course when SciFi rebooted "Battlestar Galactica" Dirk "Starbuck" Benedict and Katee "Starbuck" Sackhoff had a Starbuck's at Starbucks. So. Starbuck and Starbuck, what is Starbucks? Is there a deeper meaning? Or is it just a name some 19th century author made up that someone in the 1970s and someone in Seattle liked?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Shortly after posting this, I did some Googling, and if this surnames Website I found is to be believed, "Starbuck" is a derivation of a surname related to a river in Yorkshire England with ties to Norse language.

The coffee chain Starbucks was founded in 1971 and DID choose their name based on the character from Moby Dick. Apparently they had the idea that names starting with "ST" are successful and settled on "Starbucks" while brainstorming. So now the question is whether Starbuck is named after Starbuck or Starbucks, since "Battlestar Galactica" came out in 1978 as a way to cash in on "Star Wars" with a side of "Chariot of the Gods" ancient astronaut thrown in there.

The Question

Eternal
Starbuck's doesn't make coffee. They make burnt sludge. And that "gibs me dat" cupcakeer needs to get a fucking job and work for his shit like a real person.